• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Just purchased a HD shotgun - Maverick 88 20" barrel - from GunBuyer. The barrel does not meet up with the mag tube as it should. The barrel is seated properly (and fully) in the chamber. I have 2 other Maverick versions that do not exhibit this issue.

Anybody else every seen this type of issue?

maverick 88 -2.jpg

Thank you.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    About the only thing I can suggest is take the barrel from one of your other ones and compare the two. Perhaps that bracket was installed at the factory a hair off?

zky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    UPDATE: Well I emailed Mossberg because I've never seen this type of gap before. I sent them pictures and asked their opinion of this fit. Here is Mossberg's response:

Thank you for your email and sending over the photos. Everything you sent over is totally normal and exactly how the fitment should be. Everyone one of our firearms will have the same identical gaps and there is nothing to worry about.

'exactly as it should be'
    'every one of our firearms will have the same identical gaps'

Interesting......

Thoughts??

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    UPDATE: Well I emailed Mossberg because I've never seen this type of gap before. I sent them pictures and asked their opinion of this fit. Here is Mossberg's response:

Thank you for your email and sending over the photos. Everything you sent over is totally normal and exactly how the fitment should be. Everyone one of our firearms will have the same identical gaps and there is nothing to worry about.

Interesting......

Thoughts??
    if it bothers that bad, take side by side pics of another one you have that doesn't have that issue and ask them if that one that doesn't have the gap, then has an issue?

Would have been different I guess if they said within normal tolerance, etc but that's not what they said.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Maybe that's the one of the differences between the mav 88 and the 500. My dad's old mossberg 500 is tight and no gap.

I had my nephew check his 590 he said no gap.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Maybe that's the one of the differences between the man 88 and the 500. My dad's old mossberg 500 is tight and no gap.

I had my nephew check his 590 he said no gap.
    Then just dremel the lugs at the base of the barrel to make it fit tighter into the action. What could go wrong?

(Please dont do that.... for those who are new that dont understand that purple = sarcasm)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Interesting......

Thoughts??
    I'd send them pictures of the other two and ask them again. Maybe you got a less than knowledgeable support person. It's happened in the past for me I'm sure others as well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Does it lock up properly?
    Does it fire properly?
    Does it eject properly?

If all 3 are correct, based on the CS response, it should be OK.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    another thing to consider is that a original barrel or aftermarket one???
    I missed that part bought on Gunbroker. So yeah it could be an aftermarket set up.

Not a shotgun guru but I wonder if that space can lead to problems later on it looks like a weak link so to speak. Is that a stress point or not for those shotguns?

zky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    purchased new
    original barrel
    haven't fired yet, but will soon

I'm going to shim it so it fits snug and just go with it. I don't care what they say - this gap is not 'normal' or even good. There can't be much load going from the barrel to the mag tube at that point, but it isn't zero - there is at least some inertia load during firing. Having it seated on the end of the mag tube is better than this gap, even if this gap would not create issues for a while. I can imagine the threads having some issues after a significant amount of shooting. I may never shoot it enough to get it there, but it would happen eventually.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Take a pair of vise grips, or a pipe wrench, and back the mag tube out a little bit to close the gap......Except for the pipe wrench, this might not need to be sarcastic....as an aside, I looked at my Mossberg 500 and it looks like this..,
    It shoot fine, and no issues, so OP should be GTG

Attachments

• 927E8EAE-CC1A-4387-8D97-6F29FB39AC06.jpeg
      927E8EAE-CC1A-4387-8D97-6F29FB39AC06.jpeg
      1.5 MB · Views: 10
    Last edited:

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Damn, now I gotta go look at mine. BRB
    Update: Mine has a gap about the thickness of a credit card. Never noticed before, oh well.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom