• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Nice people and a great attempt, but nothing even close to a fair and honest match. We might as well been flipping coins or cutting cards to pick a match winner. I appreciate everyones effort and how friendly they were, but scoring was creative at best and criminal at worst. I might try it again, but it wont be a frequent draw for me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Nice people and a great attempt, but nothing even close to a fair and honest match. We might as well been flipping coins or cutting cards to pick a match winner. I appreciate everyones effort and how friendly they were, but scoring was creative at best and criminal at worst. I might try it again, but it wont be a frequent draw for me.

I don't understand what you said above.

Are you referring to what some of our squad did because the .22s were not knocking the reactive steel over? Something else?

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy

Care to elaborate?

Which group were you shooting with?

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    There was a variety of issues with the match. I dont wanna get too detailed and risk offending anyone. It was a great group of guys with an awesome turn out, good comraderie, and a pleasant time. However, if anyone, from any central ruling body ie, USPSA, Steel Challenge, IDPA etc... had been watching, they would have had a fit. It is a bad idea to ever use reactive targets and .22's. I dig that this was done to include more groups, but it came at a cost. A lot of "hits" werent hits, thus giving a false score. Timers didnt pick up some shots, and not just .22's, also giving a false score. In the end, this really nice group of guys put on a fun match, that ended with an innaccurate scoresheet.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Ignore him, he's a jerk anyway. Craig, Nick, Rhino just want you to know I had a good time. Next time you need somebody to take dead last in the 22 rifle division, just let me know. I'm your man!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I never go to compete against other shooters, only myself. If I can improve my stage and overall scores from one month to the next, I know i'm learning something and doing it right. I do look at the other people in my class, to see where I stacked up - sometimes it's nice to realize that you're in at least the 60th percentile of the shooters there.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, for what it's worth, I actually enjoy that Friday Night Steel is a "fun match" and not more of a formalized competition. I don't think anyone did anything unsafe, so the rest is what it is. I don't know what else you can do about timers not being able to detect the pressure waves from a suppressed gun.

I understand Mike's complaints, and they would be significantly more valid if FNS was billed as a Steel Challenge Match. However, it's not ... it is what it is.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I totally agree with Rhino, thats why I stated my opinion generally and didnt get into any specifics until asked. I very much appreciate it when a match is conducted in a less competitive format, and a more relax atmoshpere. That being said, Steel matches tend to be the only matches where I look semi close at score, as it is the only thing I shoot semi well. I appreciate the range, the effort and the people, just thought that with a little direction some things could be made to benifit those that do view it in a more competitive format.

As for timers not working, if your gun, regardless of caliber, set up or design cant reliably set off an otherwise functional timer, you should shoot for no score. It isnt fair to the rest of the people at the match.

I wouldnt steer people away from MCFG just so long as they know that under the current situation, it should be viewed as an informal thing, and not a hard core competition.

In the end, I still had a good time shooting and BSing with the guys.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I wouldnt steer people away from MCFG just so long as they know that under the current situation, it should be viewed as an informal thing, and not a hard core competition.

I am pretty confident, that the above goes without saying...

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    More hate for the suppressed guns. :rockwoot:

Quite frankly, I find folks that shoot without a suppressor to be uncivilized. :pffftt:

Mike, sorry if I am giving you a hard time, but this match is for FUN only, hell I showed up late just to see the fella's.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You could do like they did in the old days ... have a stop plate wired to a timer. When you hit it, the time stops.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Craig, no offense taken. However, if it is ONLY for fun, then they wouldnt be keeping score.

If you meant that it is only for fun to you, thats totally cool, but it is represented as a match, and some people went there expecting a match.

When shooters tell the scorekeeper that "my time was probably about X, so just write that down" and the scorekeeper actually does it, we have now ventured off the path of the fair and honest match.

Top Bottom