• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Due to some unforeseen circumstances this weekend, I ended up having my oldest son with me for the weekend. This worked out perfect with my saturday plans to go to Marion County Fish and Game and shoot a Texas Star match. I had never done that and Aidan has shown some interest in shooting competitions. We load up my Glock 19 and the ammo I had on hand. We decided that if he's gonna be shooting, we need to stop and pick up a few more boxes. We ended up running Tulammo 115gr round nose all day. That is what was in stock and I didn't know any better.
    We got to the range a little early and found the group of guys hanging out and **** chatted a bit while waiting to see what was happening. The weather ended up being nice enough to set up the bowling pins and shoot them instead of the star. We were both aware of that possibility but didn't really care either way as we had never done either before.

We grabbed our gear, headed out behind the berms and started getting stuff set up. Every person out there answered questions for us, they were patient with us, and were VERY helpful and accommodating to my 12 year old son. They gave tips and tricks and pointers. One gentleman loaned Aidan a S&W MP22 to shoot pinheads. It was an overall fantastic experience. I wouldn't hesitate to go to another one. Aidan can't wait to get back.

The shooting. Neither one of us shot to the best of our ability. Not even close. We did, however, have a blast. We kept coming back for more. Again and again. I could not have been more proud of Aidan. That kid had a smile on his face the entire day, whether he was setting up pins, shooting, or shoving cheetos in his face. Here are a couple videos of Aidan and myself shooting.

[video=youtube_share;mJqWqwql8dE]http://youtu.be/mJqWqwql8dE[/video]

[video=youtube_share;7Ipf7ilXXkc]http://youtu.be/7Ipf7ilXXkc[/video]

[video=youtube_share;FufMbujlqKQ]http://youtu.be/FufMbujlqKQ[/video]

[video=youtube_share;osXfbjKZoi0]http://youtu.be/osXfbjKZoi0[/video]

[video=youtube_share;Ew4XRrCFLRE]http://youtu.be/Ew4XRrCFLRE[/video]

Special thanks to Larry on the help for the grip for both of us and to Don for letting Aidan shoot your M&P22. He loved it.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I meant to say that we also learned a few things about shooting bowling pins. 115gr round nose Tulammo is not the ideal round for taking out those pesky pins. It may actually be the worst round ever for pins. Lol.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you can find Winchester white box 9mm 147GR JHP they work darn well for "affordable" hollowpoints. Last time I found them at Wal-Mart, they were $22 for a box of 50. I've also been able to find them at Cabela's for about the same price.

Glad you had a good time.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    MCF&G, is a fun place ..... Bowling pins, are fun ..... I used my .357 Mag., and enjoyed it quite a bit .....

People there are very nice, and help out new people .....

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    If you can find Winchester white box 9mm 147GR JHP they work darn well for "affordable" hollowpoints. Last time I found them at Wal-Mart, they were $22 for a box of 50. I've also been able to find them at Cabela's for about the same price.

Glad you had a good time.

Ouch. I am using this weekend as the justification I need to start getting setup to reload. I have pretty much everything but the time and space. I need to start reading up on portable setups.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    If you haven't done it, you should check out Friday Night Steel as well. That's the only competitive type shooting I have done, and I really enjoy it.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I shot a Friday night steel match years ago. Afterwards I actually joined mcfg. I had to cancel the membership because it was just impossible to get out there enough.

Top Bottom