• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    One of the first things they do in an outbreak is try to trace the disease back, to find the point of origin, Patient Zero. In almost every outbreak they can trace it back to an unvaccinated person. In an outbreak in San Diego they traced it back to a kid who was unvaccinated and exposed during a trip to Europe. Vaccines aren't a 100% guarantee against disease, but, at the least they can mitigate the disease if you do manage to catch it.

Measles Outbreak Triggered by Unvaccinated Child - US News and World Report

A trip to Europe is to blame? Don't they vaccinate over there? Are people dieing by the 1000's in Europe from measles?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Ah, the needs of society vs. the right of the individual, with actual consequences for non-participants.

:popcorn:

I fall in with the rights of the individual side. The alternative would be to literally force people to be injected with potentially lethal vaccines that could leave them ruined mentally/physically or even kill them. My safety cannot be bought at the deaths of even a few others.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    A trip to Europe is to blame? Don't they vaccinate over there? Are people dieing by the 1000's in Europe from measles?
    They don't vaccinate in high enough numbers because many people have bought into bad "science". Vaccines don't cause autism. They can, in some cases have adverse reactions in individuals. Happens with almost anything from milk to aspirin. Unlike some parents, I vaccinate my kids, because I remember growing up in a time where there weren't lots of vaccines and had friends get deathly ill from infectious diseases. Unlike some parents, tho, I set the number of vaccines my kids get at any given time. I'm not going to have their systems overloaded by too many vaccines at a time. I will willingly make another trip to the doctors to spread them out over a suitable period. Oh, and "big pharma" doesn't make millions off of vaccines. They're a loss leader.

Wouldn't say the death rate is high, given the state of infectious disease treatment today (even in Europe), but they've had over 29,000 cases this year and only about 8 deaths. That's 8 too many, when it's avoidable. The saddest part is that infants can't be vaccinated so they are the most likely to catch it and die. And, even if they don't die, high fevers, (one of the primary symptoms of measles) can cause brain damage and other disabilities. We don't even know how many cases there might be in places where secrecy is rampant, like China. Even with less than stellar protection via vaccines, something is better than nothing.

Pediatrics

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    My safety cannot be bought at the deaths of even a few others.

The saddest part is that infants can't be vaccinated so they are the most likely to catch it and die.

But we don't know them so it's ok...right? I mean as long as YOU are ok...

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Freedom isn't free.

There is almost always a societal cost associated with allowing folks to make decisions for themselves, especially when some of those individuals make the "wrong" decisions.

But it's a price that I am willing to pay.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not trying to justify anybody's choice, but let's remember that our government has a history where people were given injections of infectious diseases so they could be studied. The government actually exposed soldiers to radiation so they could be studied. For the record I had my kids vaccinated. I can also understand some peoples hesitation in doing the same. At that point in time which is it? The good government that is looking out for us? Or the one that wants to treat us like lab rats?:dunno:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    My safety cannot be bought at the deaths of even a few others.

The saddest part is that infants can't be vaccinated so they are the most likely to catch it and die.

But we don't know them so it's ok...right? I mean as long as YOU are ok...
    People are accidentally killed with guns, cars, and numerous other things but you aren't willing to give up those things to save even one person are you?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    "Your child might get measles and do well. But if you are the one who brings measles back into the community and your child infects someone else in the classroom who can't be vaccinated because of being immunocompromised, you might be responsible for the death of another child or an infant who can't be vaccinated," he said.

The wacko anti-science parents don't care about other children. They are more than happy to sacrifice them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    No happier than you are to sacrifice the children who will have a bad reaction or die from a vaccine.

Except you skip over the anti-science part. The stats are clear, the number of lives saved by vaccines dwarfs the number of serious injuries or death from vaccine reactions. That is indisputable except by snake oil salesmen and those they have convinced.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Your daughter may have had one of those rare bad reactions. Or it may have been coincidence. Would you rather her have had one of those diseases? Deafness is probably in no way related. Your oldest? Who's to say he wouldn't have had those conditions anyway? I understand you're looking for something to hang these conditions on. I've seen it before. Sometimes, stuff just happens. Please be receptive to the idea it may have had nothing to do with vaccinations. You're more likely to find the solution, or at least the cause, if you don't jump to conclusions. Maybe it was, but probably it wasn't.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    If you don't want to vaccinate your kids, cool. However, they don't get to attend public school. It's bad enough the cold/flu bugs sweep through a school faster than you can react.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Unvaccinated kids certainly can attend public schools.

Nope, mine got a note that he couldn't attend until he'd got the ones he had the year before. Had to go to the doctor's office and get a copy of the record before they'd let him in. This was in addition to all the childhood ones.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Nope, mine got a note that he couldn't attend until he'd got the ones he had the year before. Had to go to the doctor's office and get a copy of the record before they'd let him in. This was in addition to all the childhood ones.

Regardless of the notes they send home, they have no legal basis to keep unvaccinated kids out of public schools.

Relavent IC in the link below.
    Indiana State Vaccine Requirements

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    P'raps not, but I wasn't going to fight it, especially as he'd already had them. Just couldn't get the bureaucrats at the doctor to fax the damn thing. They did say clearly he wasn't allowed back, whether that had force of law or not.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Regardless of the notes they send home, they have no legal basis to keep unvaccinated kids out of public schools.

Relavent IC in the link below.
    Indiana State Vaccine Requirements

I suggest you go back and reread the link you posted. The only reason it states that the child can go without a vaccine is for religions purposes. Usually those are Christian Scientists for one, and possibly Amish as well, but I'm not sure on the latter.

Otherwise they child will not be allowed to attend a public school with out the proper certification from their doctor proving that they've indeed had the shots necessary, including Hepatitis B.

7th Stepper

I'll have Bill check out the site you posted as well, to see if there's something in there that I missed. At least I'm keeping an open mind on the subject and not arguing the point over logistics.

Top Bottom