• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What level of medical skills do you have in case of emergency?

• Total voters

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, well, we all know it's a good thing I took the time to learn some first aid skills. And I've used them. On me.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    CPR/First Aid for me. I have learned a lot online, but nothing replaces experience. This is my area of greatest need when it comes to training. I plan to become an EMT and then possibly a Paramedic in the not so distant future, so when that happens I'm sure the experience won't be a problem anymore.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    EMT, tons of certs including TECC, seen enough high speed stuff to handle a advanced situation.

Everyone should get some training, stupid people standing around and in the way makes a situation worse...

Last edited:

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Former firefighter, first responder. I will do what I can. My IFAK goes with me everywhere.
    I have the same training as well, but let 1st Responder lapse a few years ago when busy with kid's activities. We're starting a class soon so will take it again. But many years(30) of responding to medical calls and accidents hones quick decision making skills under stress.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For the people who are relying on their spouse's skills, are you learning from them? If not, what happens if they are the one who gets hurt?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Took the EMT "Speed Course" along with IFD back when everyone was getting the training. Couldn't keep up with it and let it lapse. Only used it once for real (an aircraft accident). CPR is so simple now a chimp with rhythm can do it. Think I can figure out an AED these days. Pretty good with bandaids.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Scariest part is those with loved ones/kids who will be able to do nothing when the time comes, do it for those you love. Lots of us out there who could at least get you squared away. We are all in this together.

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    For the people who are relying on their spouse's skills, are you learning from them? If not, what happens if they are the one who gets hurt?

Wife and I took advanced classes together in the evening...took care of two things at once (knowledge acquisition and relationship bonding). Problem solved.

Well, maybe not. Hope one of us didn't mentally drift off on that five minute section that would actually occur to the other and we'd need that information. waaa2

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    She tells me what to do all the time.

Seriously though, first aid is on my training To Do list along with many other skills I would like to learn, improve or reinforce.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Scariest part is those with loved ones/kids who will be able to do nothing when the time comes, do it for those you love. Lots of us out there who could at least get you squared away. We are all in this together.

I found out that even with training you might not be able to do much when a loved one is involved, or at least think you can't do much.

I had to treat an unresponsive family member on my own, it was much more stressful than having to do the same thing on a stranger.
    I was on the phone with a physician to guide me step by step because I wasn't sure what to do ... even though I already did all the right things prior to the call.In my mind I was sure I forgot something or that there was more I could do.

With no training at all I would have panicked even more for sure.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon

Rhino shares a very valid point here. I myself have advanced training in medical however my wife does not. If something would happen to me what would she do? Solid point Rhino.. might have to look at that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino shares a very valid point here. I myself have advanced training in medical however my wife does not. If something would happen to me what would she do? Solid point Rhino.. might have to look at that.

Good!

That's why when we have classes we have people who are primary caregivers and backups in case something happens to the primary.

When I'm shooting a match or similar activity and I'm in a squad with someone I know can help, I will tell them where I keep my IBD & tourniquet on my person in case they need them to treat me.

Top Bottom