• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Its my understanding that the Colt system may be a totally new system, not like the COBB based systems where the entire mag well is replaced, but rather with some sort of adapter. Something like a quick insert mag well block?

In fact take a look at some of the links, its pretty obvious its NOT like the COBB modular system.

I'm not advocating that its better or best, just saying that before I go AR10 I want to see what Colt offers, it may be more hype than anything else. But if its a good system AND it allows for AR15 uppers to be utilized then it might make for a great system for hunters who want to take multiple calibers to a hunt and switch off fairly easily while only needing 1 lower.

But even then, what hunter wants to lug around a bigger bulkier gun/lower when it would be simple to just pack along 2 complete rifles, and save a LOT of money at the same time? To further expound on that, why pay more for a system that allows you to adapt a 5.56 upper to your larger bulkier .308 lower, when the cost and weight of a 5.56 lower are minimal?

I just don't see how it's practical to pay the high price for 2 different uppers and then only be able to have 1 working gun at a time (the lower is the cheapest part, so why not just have 2 lowers).

Just start uzing your google-fu, the articles are out there:

Tactical-Life.com Sneak Peek: Colt Modular Carbine SP901 in .308 Winchester

DR Exclusive First Look!: SCAR Who? Meet the Colt Modular Carbine (CMC) Model CM901 Multi-Caliber 7.62mm NATO Battle Rifle / 5.56mm NATO Assault Rifle for U.S. Military Special Operations Forces (SOF) and General Infantry Forces (GIF). DefenseReview

Again, I have to ask what is this platfrm going to bringto the table that isnt already herer or at minimum has not been an idea from at least 5 years ago?
    The system in 308 is still gas operated, it employes everything that is already out there NOW. Yet we put the name Colt on it and teh gates of heaven have open up.

With the exception of maybe bringing the "modular" lower to market, thsi is another .308 AR.

And on the premis of modular........

For whatthe lower module will cost and the uper for a change will run I can almost bet you could buy another weapon. I am the furtherst thing from a Colt hater, but I do have to be objective of the cost vs. value idea.
    Thisis going to cost alot and not be much more valuable (usable) than whats out there now.
    And teh entire modular, can used from this to that idea is a great marketing tool in teh civilian market. Even in combat I don't believe the "average" soldier will be issued a weapon of this type as a low percentage of soldiers need an "adaptive" system.

If your looking for a good .308 theres no time better than the current.
    Again, summed up my thoughts pretty well.

IMHO, I don't think Colt could really bring anything new to the .308 AR game without using their .308 to introduce some revolutionary new technology at the same time. To expound on that, I mean, Colt would have to bring some really revolutionary new technology to market on their .308 platform if its really going to stand out from the rest.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Man, you tempt me with every update to this thread. Ever since I saw Kimball's in his threat I've wanted one. Speaking of, how does she shoot?

I have only put 20 rounds through her.....shoots where I point her. Now I just need some optics to see if she hits where I aim her....:dunno:

Should be good. Got a SMOKIN deal on a Krieger barrel.

Top Bottom