• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Today is a day where we remember those that have laid down their lives in defense of our Nation and all that it stands for. While every ounce of respect one can muster should be given to our veterans and current soldiers, today is not that day.

I think a lot of people forget the real reason for this day. Too wrapped up in picnics, BBQs, and family get togethers to stop, even for a moment, and give thanks to those who are no longer with us because they died for their country. Those rights given to us by our forefathers are protected only by those willing to give up everything to defend them.

I never would have heard this unless I has seen Saving Private Ryan, but it shows a level of respect unheard of in the past few decades for our departed soldiers.

"Executive Mansion,
    Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.
    Dear Madam,
    I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.
    Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,
    A. Lincoln"

When's the last time you heard of ANY president writing a letter to a bereaved mother over the loss of their loved one? Sure, they get a letter from the DOD, but never a personalized, handwritten letter from the pen of the president. I think it's about time that this starts happening again. I think every single soldier killed should have a handwritten letter from the president. Those in charge of sending our troops into the line of fire should have to feel every single one of their deaths and understand even just a fraction of the grief the families of the lost are feeling. Perhaps they'd be a little less willing to throw our sons and daughters in front of bullets that they don't need to be standing in front of.

Happy Memorial Day INGOers and God Bless.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Thank you for your post.

Although not a hand written letter, we did receive a very personal letter with the President's signature and a phone call from the Vice President. There were many handwritten letters and remembrances from officials in the military and our government (both state and federal). I do doubt that you would see this type of support and condolences from our current administration.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    A slight list of my friends that I have lost over the years, sadly, these are only from battle, haven't included those killed in training, etc while during the war on terror
    [FONT=&quot]SSG Darren Cunningham 30 Sep 2004[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1SG Blue Rowe 26 May 2009

SSG Shannon Smith 08 Sep 2009[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]SSG James Ide 29 Aug 2010

SSG Joshua Throckmorton 05 Jul 2011 [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]SPC Preston Suter 05 Jul 2011[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]SPC Jordan Schumann 05 Jul 2011[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]SGT Paul Rivera 22 Oct 2011[/FONT]

YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Also, not to ruffle any feathers, but many people confuse Memorial Day with Veterans Day. No disrespect to anyone who has served in the armed forces, because I respect them all, but Memorial Day is about fallen soldiers, not anyone who has served. If you look at your Facebook pages, many people will confuse them. Just my 2 cents

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    1st Lt James A Henderson, MIA, Saidor, New Guinea, 1944. His B25 Mitchel Bomber went missing, wreckage was recovered in 1999.

The entire crew and 2 additional soldiers were repratrioted in 2003, and laid to rest in Arlington Military Cemetary. Never was forgotten by parents, sisters, and family.

Visited in the pouring rain yesterday, Memorial Day, 2013. Seems to rain every year. a hint of saddness either in AM or Pm.

Top Bottom