• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    My husband and I just received our carry permits last Saturday, he's already carrying his mostly concealed while I am still looking for a holster but it is difficult as the pregnant belly is in the way of things. I know in Indiana we can openly carry, and my husband went up to Muncie this last Monday, got a few weird stares when people caught sight of his gun (he was not trying to show it, his shirt would lift just enough sometimes) but nobody said a word. I am curious as to if women get the same amount of reactions as men do, or do people kind of see women who carry differently compared to men who carry? I mainly ask out of curiosity, but also because once I get back to my pre-pregnancy weight and body, I will be happily wearing form fitting clothing and not sure how I would even go about concealing my gun unless I always wore a short sleeve button t-shirt. Right now I have purchased a fanny pack holster for when I go hiking, walking, running, etc... by myself but I wouldn't really want to carry it around ALL the time so at this point when going into stores and places, my purse is the likely spot until I can begin wearing a holster.
    Again, the main question is: As a man do you feel that you get stranger reactions when people notice you are carrying than a woman does? Or as a woman do you feel that people just don't see it as a big deal, or you get the same reaction?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    When a woman chooses to carry openly, it confounds those who like to claim that men who carry that way are trying to act "macho" or "compensating for something".

With their standard basis for mockery shattered, they'll need to think up some other way to disparage a woman who carries.
    This will also be confounding to them, as their ability to think rationally has atrophied through lack of use.

They'll probably just leave the area flustered, pretending they don't envy you on some personal level, but you'll never even know why or have to deal with it.

:) Aint life grand?

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    To answer your question - I so seldom see a woman OC around these parts that I'd have to double-take to make sure I saw correctly. Of course, we don't even (as far as I know) have any female Law Enforcement Officers in this county.. just not common around here!

Be careful with off-body (ie, purse) carry, since that's one of the first targets a thief will look at on a woman..

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm in a "similar" situation.....my wife is very small and wear form fitting clothes...it's very difficult for her to conceal and has chosen to OC....I'm all for OC and don't have a problem with it as I used to OC all the time, everywhere........but I'm somewhat uncomfortable with her because, while I've taught her to shoot I haven't gotten her proficient "enough" with it to MY standards, which I'll admit are high...but my other concern is that she is sort of "klutzy" at times and her SA sucks!!...she concentrates so heavily on whatever specific thing she's doing that she has no idea what's going on around her.....when we go to get groceries I am always monitoring closely and watching people react around her as she walks by with this big holster on her side....and she doesn't even notice when people look at her....the looks aren't my concern, it's the fact that she chooses to OC with such a lack in SA...and she doesn't take it seriously enough with me to let me coach her in SA and just blows me off when I try...(granted she's as stubborn as they come)...anyhow, I've noticed that between observing people around her and around me in the past (as I have VERY high SA) that she gets more of the odd "glance" and then they just go about their business, and a couple of people have come up and sparked conversations to ask about carry permits and such...excellent opportunity to share knowledge...but when I am OC'ing by myself I just get looks and some occasional "gasps of fear"...they don't tend to want to talk to me.....now, I am a recently returned Marine and I don't exactly look very friendly (so I'm told) but this is just the difference that I have noticed....additionally, this just adds to my worries about her, since people seem to notice her more because of her size it tends to stick out and so I think she needs to be more aware of her surroundings.....most of the time she's with me when OC'ing..but it still doesn't ease my mind.....I tend to look at things like a criminal, and a tiny female with a gun who's not paying a bit of attention seems like a very easy opportunity to get a gun IMO....but maybe it's just me.......I'll talk her into some SA coaching soon....she knows how aware I am and picks on me about things but she knows it's important when armed.......I'll probably use her to experiment with some SA coaching curriculum I can turn into a simple class, but that's a different story

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    youngda9, yes I know but I was bored at the moment and curious. My curiosity will ALWAYS get the best of me, and after hearing my husband tell me about the glances he got on his way up to Muncie, IN it made me even more curious to see how often these glances come up and if they come up more towards women or men OC'ing.
    Believe me, I don't want to be carrying mine in my purse too much longer, I've got to figure something out..... they should have holsters for pregnant women damn it.
    On SA, I am way to nosie to not be aware of my surroundings, especially when people start getting too close (maybe because I am 5'3 and a girl, and I hate crowds). But I have to admit I have not been striving to see if I can spot any other CC's or OC's, I figured I would after I got mine but apparently not.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I dont think that gender has a lot to do with that.
    Some people will freak out if they see someone with a gun on their hip, male or female, and will probably call the police because they are ignorant and dont know that OC is legal.
    If they have a think against guns or think that only the police should be allowed to carry or whatever, then their reaction will probably be the same no matter if it's a male or female that is carrying the gun.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    My number one recommendation off the bat is to keep it out of the purse.
    I know for sake of convenience it keeps it out of the way... but ask yourself your desired original intentions on wanting to carry.

-Because I know if a BG wants something from you, the first thing he'll probably go for is snatch your purse and run......... Now what do you do? ;)

As youngda9 stated... Don't be so concerned what others think. If I dyed my hair purple with zebra stripes, I'll get stares, but I'm not doing anything wrong.

Do what fits you best. :rockwoot:

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I know when I OC by myself, I'll get some odd looks, if I'm out with my girlfriend and OCing, folks largely tend to seem oblivious to the fact that I'm carrying. I've got no idea what it is like to be a woman and OCing.

I don't care what others think, but for me it's location of the people around me, where their hands are (and if they're moving to center of body), and how they are behaving is what I look for so I am aware of people's reaction to me carrying. I haven't had any issues and the most freaked out I've seen anyone by my OCing was a group of people in the handgun ammo section at Gander Mountain. If you haven't OC'ed go ahead and give it a shot, I find it helps to start in the really gun friendly places, like around the house, then the yard, then a trip to the gun store and so on so you get used to it and build up that confidence, so you're much more at ease when you get to those that frown on it, or are confounded by it, or go into full on Monty Python "Run AWAY! Run AWAY! RUN AWAY!!!" mode.

And if you want to CC take a look at some of the stuff I posted in this thread https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/192972-holster_for_ruger_lcp.html

Just because your clothes are form fitting does not mean that you have to OC, I know many men carry "pocket pistols" from Ruger, Kahr, Diamondback, S&W, etc. in their pocket or in a belly band or on their ankle that disappear in clothes that traditional waist carry would make obvious. A .380 or .38 that you carry is still better than a .45 that is left at home or stolen from you. And here's actually another source I just remembered for some that's accustomed to female carry vs comfort vs fashion balance to make it all work as desired http://www.youtube.com/user/limalife?feature=watch She posts on another gun forum I frequent if you want to PM me, I can direct you there, she may very well have advice on carrying options while pregnant.

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    I know for sake of convenience it keeps it out of the way... but ask yourself your desired original intentions on wanting to carry.

-Because I know if a BG wants something from you, the first thing he'll probably go for is snatch your purse and run......... Now what do you do? ;)

As youngda9 stated... Don't be so concerned what others think. If I dyed my hair purple with zebra stripes, I'll get stares, but I'm not doing anything wrong.

Do what fits you best. :rockwoot:

F*ck, I would stare at someone with purple hair and zebra stripes in it! I just wish someone would have warned me on the issues of having a beach ball belly for a couple of months, lol. I guess I might have to suck it up, spend some cash on a few larger jeans, get a belt and get a holster because I don't like carrying my gun in my purse as it does defeat the purpose of having it ready if I had to make a quick decision.

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    I know when I OC by myself, I'll get some odd looks, if I'm out with my girlfriend and OCing, folks largely tend to seem oblivious to the fact that I'm carrying. I've got no idea what it is like to be a woman and OCing.

I don't care what others think, but for me it's location of the people around me, where their hands are (and if they're moving to center of body), and how they are behaving is what I look for so I am aware of people's reaction to me carrying. I haven't had any issues and the most freaked out I've seen anyone by my OCing was a group of people in the handgun ammo section at Gander Mountain. If you haven't OC'ed go ahead and give it a shot, I find it helps to start in the really gun friendly places, like around the house, then the yard, then a trip to the gun store and so on so you get used to it and build up that confidence, so you're much more at ease when you get to those that frown on it, or are confounded by it, or go into full on Monty Python "Run AWAY! Run AWAY! RUN AWAY!!!" mode.

And if you want to CC take a look at some of the stuff I posted in this thread https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/192972-holster_for_ruger_lcp.html

Just because your clothes are form fitting does not mean that you have to OC, I know many men carry "pocket pistols" from Ruger, Kahr, Diamondback, S&W, etc. in their pocket or in a belly band or on their ankle that disappear in clothes that traditional waist carry would make obvious. A .380 or .38 that you carry is still better than a .45 that is left at home or stolen from you. And here's actually another source I just remembered for some that's accustomed to female carry vs comfort vs fashion balance to make it all work as desired http://www.youtube.com/user/limalife?feature=watch She posts on another gun forum I frequent if you wantt to PM me, I can direct you there, she may very well have advice on carrying options while pregnant.

Will definitely check those links out, the husband said one gun for me is enough for now, and it is a Ruger SR40c, I love it and the weight feels great for me even loaded (I like mid sized things with a bit of weight to them). I've had it for 3 weeks, haven't fired yet due to reading up on concerns about women over.... 25 weeks pregnant shooting because of the decibel and it possibly hurting the baby's ears. I'm 30 weeks, but I think one time just so I know the feel of it couldn't hurt, but it would have to be outside to avoid as much lead exposure as possible..... hell I could wrap some fabric and stuff around my belly, won't that dull the sound :D I'll PM you for that.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville

I agree 100%. Another negative about purse carry is this - how many different items in a purse (pens, pencils, eye-liner, lipstick, keys, etc.) can potentially enter the trigger guard and impact the trigger? Even "gun purses" typically have metal inserts in the strap (to resist cutting) and a dedicated compartment for the gun with an affixed holster to keep the gun in a constant position and to protect the trigger.

I've had several ladies take my Personal Protection Outside the Home course with "gun purses," and there's definitely a trick to drawing a gun quickly from a purse - but by the end of the 2-day course they could all draw and put two rounds in a 9-inch target from 21 feet in under 2 seconds (while folks drawing from a concealed OWB holster will typically do it in 1.5 seconds or less).

Guy

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    compensating63561.jpg

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I have personally never saw a woman OC. Heck, where I live I hardly ever see anyone OC except the popo.
    You have gotten some good advice from others but I will add "get a pair ef electronic ear muffs" and start shooting. I don't know how you would protect the little one though.
    I would like to see more OC, male or female where I live.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    This past summer my wife and I took a handgun course with a few other INGOer's. During the lunchbreak, my wife and I went to Wendy's in New Castle along with VERT and his wife.

Both of our wives were OC'ing as that was the way they were holstering the guns in the class. VERT and I had ours CC'd in IWB holsters as that was our primary carry method.

Nobody even batted an eye at our two lovely wives strolling into Wendy's sporting handguns on their hips. :yesway:

Top Bottom