• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    I had a very sad and scary encounter Sunday while riding my motorcycle. I came upon a very large dog, maybe a Rotwiller, that had been hit by a pickup truck. The dog was in the middle of the road, barking and spinning around bleeding profusely from his mouth and nose. His back leg was obviously broken and turned around the wrong direction. I immediately tried to approach the dog and try to help, but he'd have no part of that at all, and I had to resort to stand there and watch him slowly and painfully approach death. As a crowd of other people came to assist, another very large dog, probably the same breed came running up, and when he got close to the injured dog, he started to bark and attempted to lick the other dog. The next thing I knew he was visously attacking the injured dog, and had a death grip on his rear leg and the other dog tried to fight back, but was loosing the battle, because of the injuries. I was afraid to try and approach them, fearing he might turn on me, or someone else near by. The attacking dogs owner finally came and tried to pull him off the dieing dog, and struggled mightly to finally tear them apart. Once he finally got them apart, and had the dog subdued, I offered my gun to person I thought was the owner, because the poor animal needed to be put out of his misery. Then I was advised it wasn't his dog, and the owner was approaching, and at that point I withdrew to let them take care of the situation. My question is, would it have been wrong for me to put that dog down, or would it have put me in the position for a legal dispute?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had a very sad and scary encounter Sunday while riding my motorcycle. I came upon a very large dog, maybe a Rotwiller, that had been hit by a pickup truck. The dog was in the middle of the road, barking and spinning around bleeding profusely from his mouth and nose. His back leg was obviously broken and turned around the wrong direction. I immediately tried to approach the dog and try to help, but he'd have no part of that at all, and I had to resort to stand there and watch him slowly and painfully approach death. As a crown of other people came to assist, another very large dog, probably the same breed came running up, and when he got close to the injured dog, he started to bark and attempted to lick the other dog. The next thing I knew he was visously attacking the injured dog, and had a death grip on his rear leg and the other dog tried to fight back, but was loosing the battle, because of the injuries. I was afraid to try and approach them, fearing he might turn on me, or someone else near by. The attacking dogs owner finally came and tried to pull him off the dieing dog, and struggled mightly to finally tear them apart. I offered my gun to person I thought was the owner, because the poor animal needed to be put out of his misery. Then I was advised it wasn't his dog, and the owner was approaching, and at that point I withdrew to let them take care of the situation. My question is, would it have been wrong for me to put that dog down, or would it have put me in the position for a legal dispute?

To Big Guy (et alia),

I was in a similar position many years ago. Mine involved a small cat that had been hit by a car. It was late at night on an olde country road, no one other than my buddy was around. We pet the cat for a minute then fired a single shot. I will never forget that poor little kitty.

I would think a legal issue would be: in city or in country. I would presume in the city would be much more problematic. After that I'll wait for those more familiar with civil law answer. Ethically, I would see no problem putting the dog down if it was obvious the dog wasn't going to live. Liability wise I think there would be a potential for hot water. Perhaps giving the firearm to the injured dogs owner would avoid much, but not all.

Regards,

Doug

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I wouldn't have any problem ending the suffering of a mortally wounded animal, but domestic animals are property in Indiana, so you better make every effort to make sure their is no owner before you decide to put it down, or else you could be liable for destruction of property if the owner can convince a vet to say in court that the animal was not mortally wounded.

I once saw a possum run into the roaf and get hit by a car in front of me. It turned it's head around and started viciously attacking itself, so I aimed my delivery truck at him and hit him to end his misery. I watched in my rearview mirror and there was no more movement, I didn't feel the least bit bad about it, I was glad the animal was not suffering any longer.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    Having had my last dog, and probably my very best friend put down because of old age and natural causes, was a tough thing to go through, and it broke my heart to watch that dog suffer like that. All I could think about was taking away his pain and suffering. Since it wasn't my dog, it wouldn't have been to traumatic for me do it, but I really felt like the owner should have done it. That's why I offered my gun to him, besides there were people and children starting to gather, and you never know how they might deal with that sight.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    When I was still in high school, all five of us (my folks and both brothers with me) were riding in the country after a Sunday lunch in Hagerstown (Welliver's) when we passed what we thought was a dead cat in the road, until it raised its head weakly.
    Dad jumped on the brakes and walked back to look at the cat, whose guts were lying on the pavement around hiim.
    Dad quickly grabbed a tire iron out of the trunk, then went back and finished the poor cat.
    He got back in, wiping his eyes quickly, and we all sat quietly the rest of the way home.
    It's a tough thing to do, and every pet owner will react differently, but -- were it my pet -- I'd be grateful that someone showed compassion under such circumstances when the only thing to be gained by not acting would be prolonged suffering for a helpless animal.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have been in with this kind of thing a lot. I have had to finish off a deer I hit and broke its back with a tire iron because I had NOTHING my senior year of high school I remember. My dad told me that's what I needed to do on the phone and my buddies thought it was nuts. I also have had to kill a kitten that had it's rear leg chewed off and was tripping on its hanging paw. Dug a hole put it in the hole, hit it with the 22 as it started to meow and covered it up... Girlfriend felt bad for a couple of days. I have finished off raccoons and a few other injured animals by running them over again, but never a dog.

For all of these I have never used a pistol. I have a friend who shot a deer in the head with a pistol and it didn't finish the job. I know you couldn't get close to the dog, but from the bigger animals I have come upon like deer it's best to get to the in a safe manner and cut their throat. It always has worked for me if they are so bad you can get to them. That's what we ended up doing for the deer my buddy shot. It was hung up in a fence and had gutted it's self but was very much so immobile but alive. Deer will tear you up!

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Idk, generally animals are tougher than we give them credit for. A broken leg generally isn't mortal and most animals can push through that. Trying to find the owner would be my first reaction, if that didn't work try to get the animal to a vet, then last resort if I couldn't get it to a vet or the animals fate was obvious. I could see some people might try to press charges, its wise you didn't though as the owner was nearby and its his dog his choice.

jbmayes2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    Vincennes
    Idk, generally animals are tougher than we give them credit for. A broken leg generally isn't mortal and most animals can push through that. Trying to find the owner would be my first reaction, if that didn't work try to get the animal to a vet, then last resort if I couldn't get it to a vet or the animals fate was obvious. I could see some people might try to press charges, its wise you didn't though as the owner was nearby and its his dog his choice.

I would think that if it was a stray or not particularly someone's animal I could see that but I'd have a real hard time doing it if I knew it belonged to someone as much as it would be painful to see.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Another consideration, if the animal is out of his mind crazy with pain enough to attack anyone who tried to help what would you do if one of those gathering children felt the need to go all Disney and comfort the carnivore?

The reason the other dog attacked him is probably because they knew each other already...and not on friendly terms.

As to the original question...if the dogs got tags I wouldn't shoot it unless it was for the safety of others. If the dog didn't have tags I would have to go think about it...if people are already gathering it may not be safe to do so and will make you the liable one. You might be better off trying to keep all but the owner back, and failing that leaving. :twocents:

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    19 years ago I had to use my Smith & Wesson 5903 9mm to kill a deer. The woman in front of me hit a huge 10 point buck and it totaled her car. The deer was badly injured but trying to get up and move on three legs, the one leg was attached by skin only. The officer that showed up was a deer hunter and estimated the deer was nearly 200 lbs.
    It was disturbing to shoot a deer that close while looking in its eyes, but it had to be done.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The first instinct from anyone with any shred of compassion is to put the animal out of its misery. Totally understandable. But I think I would call 911 before I pulled the trigger. Being a dog, someone's pet, etc, just seems like one of those situations where being the good Samaritan is likely to get you into a world of trouble.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think you did the right thing OP, I wouldn't have done it and I doubt I could have brought myself to do it even it if were out in the boonies with no one around. I had to have my dog put down last year and it was one of the hardest things I have had to do but at least I was there with him for his final moments.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The first instinct from anyone with any shred of compassion is to put the animal out of its misery. Totally understandable. But I think I would call 911 before I pulled the trigger. Being a dog, someone's pet, etc, just seems like one of those situations where being the good Samaritan is likely to get you into a world of trouble.

What would one expect out of a 911 dispatcher? Permission to shoot the animal? I could be mistaken, but I bet they wouldn't give it. :dunno:

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have put down an injured animal before. It's not a good experience, but I won't watch some poor creature suffer. This was "out in the county" where it's legal to fire your weapon. I have heard from police officers before that they particularly care for non-police folks to put animals down, but I won't watch something suffer. Call me crazy, but I have taken a few animals to a wildlife rehabilitator that I know. Most are too badly injured, however. Know where you're at and the laws that apply (or leave the scene very quickly).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't think I'd be handing my gun to some stranger, not knowing their level of competency, especially with other people around.

Like others have said, if I were the only one there and was in a place where it would not be a concern, and the animal was obviously not going to make it, that would be one thing. Standing with a group of other folks, and a potential owner nearby, probably not.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    What would one expect out of a 911 dispatcher? Permission to shoot the animal? I could be mistaken, but I bet they wouldn't give it. :dunno:

You're right. This happened to me a few years ago. I was in Alabama on my Goldwing, saw the car in front of me hit a dog that came running out of the woods. If there was any bright side, at least I didn't hit the dog with my bike. I considered shooting the dog, called 911 instead. Took a Sheriff about 30 minutes to make it to where I was. I just sat there with the dog and held him until the Sheriff showed up. He shot it with a shotgun. I wish I had turned my head, that is one memory I don't like to recall.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

I agree with this.

A few years back at a family cookout my bro in law hit his dog while riding wheelies on a four wheeler. Ran right over him. PD the dog had blood pouring out of his mouth and nose, was unresponsive and not moving. They rushed him to the vet. An hour later they came back and PD was fine without any serious injuries.

You never know.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I don't hand a firearm to a stranger...

When it comes to someone else's animal tread lightly as is a liberal world we live in today.

Having had to shoot my own dog with a hand gun (point blank 9mm HP) I can tell you it sucks and it is a lot less pain for you and the animal to do a double tap as most of the time if you fire once it will twitch and look bad for a minute where as a double tap seems to make the bad situation come to a end.

This is sick I know but needs to be said.

Last edited:

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    Thanks for all the input, the image of that dog tearing into the injured dog is a hard thing to forget. After hearing on TV more often than we should, about a dog attacking a child or adult, I now can understand fully why so many people fear dogs. I'm a dog lover, and it really tore me up to see that dog suffer like that, let alone be attacked while in intense pain. He did his best to fight back, but it was no match. I'm glad now that things worked out the way they did, with the actual owner arriving, and we were able to leave the scene and not have to watch the outcome. I know my wife is still having trouble with the emotional terror that unfolded right before our eyes.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom