• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Needless to say, I am a bit disappointed with the officer, but not out for his blood or that Glocks are bad. But, I would expect with a tool that the officer carries on a daily basis, he would have been more careful and prudent with the weapon. On the other hand, that arguement could go the other way: He carries it so much that he became complacent with safety and that happens, but its a lesson now that he wont forget.

Hope he and the family does okay. I dont mean harm, but I dont think he would be getting his job back. Negligence is still negligence, I dont like the idea of complacency and negligence getting into his other duties as an officer...

How many construction workers do you know that have injured themselves with tools they work with every day? Just saying accidents happen..... How many people have been in a car accident that is their fault...it's something you are very familiar with yet accidents happen... :dunno:

:popcorn:

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    How many construction workers do you know that have injured themselves with tools they work with every day? Just saying accidents happen..... How many people have been in a car accident that is their fault...it's something you are very familiar with yet accidents happen... :dunno:

Like this guy?
    6NailHeadA.jpg

Article: 6 Nails Driven Into Head - California Man's Survival

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN

Very true and a well made point. I expect construction workers to have a level of awareness of safety, but that lapses like anyone else's and like the hapless hero in the shooting story. But, as we say around here: Safety is no accident. There are always excuses for accidents but never for safety. Accidents happen because someone was not doing their job correctly. Car accidents happen due to people not paying attention or cant comprehend the severity of action. Construction accidents happen because someone was not paying attention. Shooting accidents happen because someone was not paying attention as well. Things happen because folks aren't willing to take the time or comprehend the things that could happen until it does.

Plus, I like :popcorn: :D

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    He messed up, nothing more nothing less. I know because of fatigue or lack of concentration, I have done things that I wouldn't have intended to do otherwise. So far the good Lord has been with me and nothing bad resulted from it. Best of luck to him in his recovery.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Assuming it was his issued gun, yes.

Having to pull the trigger to disassemble the gun isn't an excuse for demonstrating poor gunhandling and not observing the 4 rules.

Exactly :ingo: Why didn't the officer clear the weapon out? Why wasn't the firearm pointed in a safe direction? Sounds like he needs a clearing barrel to practice safe handling procedures.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'd say he's got a problem......look at how many fillings he has in his teeth.
    :D

You think that guy's got a lot of fillings...you should see my dental x-rays. Lets just say that if anything happens to me, they will have no trouble I.D.ing me from my dental records.

Having little to no enamel on my teeth has resulted in:

4 crowns
    At least 1, if not 2 fillings in all of my molars
    Several smaller fillings in some of my front teeth

I honestly don't know what I'm up to in total cavities, but looking at my x-rays, there are very few teeth that look normal. Just about every one has a big white spot near it or in it from some sort of repair! I joke with my dentist each times he fixes one, saying that one of two things is going to happen.
    a) All of my teeth will be filling material, so no more cavities :D
    b) He's going to have to find another way to pay for his vacations! :p

And before anyone jumps in commenting about my personal hygene, I was to the point that I was brushing my teeth 4 and 5 times a day, flossing twice or more a day, and using just about every mouthwash with flouride I could find. Unfortunately all that did was wear down what little enamel I may have had to begin with. When the enamel isn't there, even the saliva my mouth makes can lead to cavities...

Back on topic...sorry to hear about this, but lets all learn from it as well. Unfortunately there are a lot of accidents that take place when cleaning, especially during hunting season in the fall. Be careful guys and gals! :yesway:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Why do people keep calling this an accident when it was clearly negligent?

Good point...and I think in this case they can be used synonymously.

According to Merriam Webster:
    Accident = 2 a : an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance

Negligent = 2 : marked by a carelessly easy manner

Either way, for all we know, it was an unintended outcome from the one desired.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ever notice how whenever there is a ND the person was always "cleaning" the thing.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Goes to show, not only civilians make mistakes. I never saw anyone shoot themselves, but have seen people do some stupid crap on the firing line. I always reat a gun as it's loaded. If I pass a gun to someone, I always take the mag out and check the chamber to make sure it's clear. Or if someone hands me one, I'll make sure it's clear. Even if it comes out of the safe. You never know, and I am not willing to find out. What happens is some people get to complacent. That's when bad things happen.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Goes to show, not only civilians make mistakes. I never saw anyone shoot themselves, but have seen people do some stupid crap on the firing line. I always treat a gun as it's loaded. If I pass a gun to someone, I always take the mag out and check the chamber to make sure it's clear. Or if someone hands me one, I'll make sure it's clear. Even if it comes out of the safe. You never know, and I am not willing to find out. What happens is some people get to complacent. That's when bad things happen.

:+1: Same here! Clear and lock is how we rock :D

Top Bottom