• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I have zero legitimate knowledge of Mexico and its politics. I went to Juarez once, that and what I've been fed by the media are all I have. I've never been of the impression that Mexico had its stuff together and was plagued by horrible corruption and cartel influence. That said, the people I've known who came from or were first gen Americans with Mexican parents have all been very good people. I hope they do have a meltdown and I hope they can put a government in place that will do right by the people.

If that is not possible, I'm all for an exchange program where we swap a Mexican for a liberal, 1 for 1, until every Mexican who wants to move here and work for a living has been brought north of the border. Since liberals seem to want nothing to do with what this country is supposed to stand for they can go down and start their own government. The hilarity that ensued would be the stuff that dreams are made of.

I agree with all of this. As the snowflakes take over America, whine about every little thing that breaks their tiny hearts (but do nothing to fix it except like a meme), and shove entire pizzas down their fat faces, all while collecting disability for "migraines" at the ripe old age of 26, I've come to realize that on average, I like Mexicans better than Americans.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree with all of this. As the snowflakes take over America, whine about every little thing that breaks their tiny hearts (but do nothing to fix it except like a meme), and shove entire pizzas down their fat faces, all while collecting disability for "migraines" at the ripe old age of 26, I've come to realize that on average, I like Mexicans better than Americans.

Yup

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The cartels will not go quietly and as such there would be the potential for some quite horrifying vigilantism to achieve this end. Think Duterte's Philippines on our southern border
    Plata y plomo - those are your choices.

“Or if we must meddle, as we have always done, let us meddle for a change in a constructive way. Stop every campesino at our southern border, give him a handgun, a good rifle, and a case of ammunition, and send him home. He will know what to do with our gifts and good wishes. The people know who their enemies are.” – Edward Abbey, 1988

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The silver or the lead

It will be very hard to do anything more than change the faces of corruption until you break the power that allows the cartels to enforce that choice

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Spent a lot of time in working maquila mexico and the people I dealt with were really little different than the same folks in the states. Just trying to earn a living and support their families. The standard of living is lower and class divisions are sharp, it's very much a kiss up and spit down type of system which makes quick communication and accurate decisions difficult. Lots of "we'll do it our way gringo" even if that involves driving off a cliff, it takes a lot of time and patience to bring them around. The corruption on all levels is beyond conception here in the states, the "mordida" tradition is just part of doing business whether it's getting pulled over by a traffic cop or getting permits, money talks and the bigger it is the louder it talks. Strangely I never took the time to enjoy tourist mexico, just never got around to it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Dang.
    I get 2 migraines a week. And I don't have to work?
    Just kidding. I don't think I could do the disability thing. Though losing half my vision in one eye had me looking at the possibility.
    I had to convince my employer to keep me.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I have zero legitimate knowledge of Mexico and its politics. I went to Juarez once, that and what I've been fed by the media are all I have. I've never been of the impression that Mexico had its stuff together and was plagued by horrible corruption and cartel influence. That said, the people I've known who came from or were first gen Americans with Mexican parents have all been very good people. I hope they do have a meltdown and I hope they can put a government in place that will do right by the people.

If that is not possible, I'm all for an exchange program where we swap a Mexican for a liberal, 1 for 1, until every Mexican who wants to move here and work for a living has been brought north of the border. Since liberals seem to want nothing to do with what this country is supposed to stand for they can go down and start their own government. The hilarity that ensued would be the stuff that dreams are made of.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to phylodog again."

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Meh, the Cartels have so much money, they can buy whomever they want. Corruption will never be eliminated while the Cartels have such power.

Part of the problem is that corruption is part of the culture. It's the same sort of thing we encountered when trying to "nation build" in places like Afghanistan or Libya - people have no tradition of self-rule or any particular concept of human rights. Russia has the same sort of problem. If there is a major revolution in Mexico, my bet is that the cartels will win it and end up running the government. It may cut down on the killing somewhat, but the corruption will remain.

evo2125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    indianapolis
    I agree. Corruption will continue even if new people are in power. Money and power are the motives. Cartels have too much power and control the goverment.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Also, with the gun control they have there, the only groups that are well armed are the Army and the Cartels. The people don't stand a chance.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    My father was a member of the Lions Club and one of their service projects was to collect old eyeglasses and send them to nations in Central America. They found through experience that it was cheaper to fly them south rather than truck them because of all the bribes that had to be paid to get through Mexico.

We really do take it for granted here that our public officials are honest. When my wife and I adopted our son from Russia, a part of the expense was all of the bribes paid to the officials at the orphanage and in the court system.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom