• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I was sort of feeling sorry for her up until now. She actually seems like a decent person. Yet her foreign policy is just as scary as the rest.

Instead of the United States being the "Shining City on a Hill", she wants us to be the "Firey Tower of Mordor on a Hill."

Michele Bachmann: US should be “feared” by the world

“That’s the problem today in foreign policy: You want the other nations to fear us,” Bachmann said. “They don’t fear us today. They laugh at us. This is serious. The United States is being mocked at and laughed at. We’re the military super power of the world and we’re being mocked at and laughed at and being disrespected?” The comments came in the midst of a discussion about defending Israel and challenging Iran’s influence in the Middle East.
    “I will use absolutely everything in our arsenal against the Iranians,” Bachmann said. “Because they need to know that they should fear the United States.”
    As she spoke, a man in the crowd interrupted, asking whether the U.S. should be feared or respected.
    “We want both,” Bachmann replied. “We want to be both feared and respected. No. 1 you want respect. But when you’re respected you’re also feared.”
    Mordor.png

Iran wants the precious for himself.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    to hDefinition of FEAR

transitive verb
    archaic : frighten
    archaic : to feel fear in (oneself)
    : to have a reverential awe of <fear God>
    : to be afraid of : expect with alarm <fear the worst>

I'm okay with it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I'm okay with it.

Except that that is not what she's talking about. There is no awe in being a bloodthirsty warmonger: we've seen those before. Heck, we aren't even the most powerful on a comparative standard. I would sooner be in awe of the ancient Babylonians or Assyrians.

The world should not fear us. It should fear to fight against us, and there is a world of difference between the two.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'd like to thank the OP for spreading the love around. We were getting punch drunk hearing about Gingrich. It alway's helps to mix it up abit. :yesway:

As to Bachmans statements I agree with her premise in certain aspects. I think at this point China and Russia don't take us seriously and seem to be making a mockery out of us and the PRC is getting bolder and bolder in their attempts to see how far they can push the envelope. With that being said I think maybe she should tone down her delivery just a wee bit and retool it to not sound so maniacal.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Except that that is not what she's talking about. There is no awe in being a bloodthirsty warmonger: we've seen those before. Heck, we aren't even the most powerful on a comparative standard. I would sooner be in awe of the ancient Babylonians or Assyrians.

The world should not fear us. It should fear to fight against us, and there is a world of difference between the two.

I think history says otherwise. And I'm really okay with it if it's shaking in the boots fear too. Power comes not in the willingness to act but in others' belief of the willingness to act.

ETA: okay, I've been mulling your last comment around and I don't see a difference. I believe you are operating under a premise that is not necessarily true, and it is this point where the disagreement arises. But I'd like you to expand on your comment, if you will. What other reason would they have to fear us?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If the entire world operated from the same place we do, which is respect goes a lot farther than fear, that would work. In other cultures, fear equates to respect. Respect the rank even if you don't respect the man. We prefer to respect the man regardless of his rank.

One reason I own and carry guns for personal defense is I have no desire to fight anyone hand to hand in a fair fight. BTDT. I respect what any aggressor or aggressors may be able to do to me in a fight. I also fear it. If they don't respect me and fail to fear me, proceed at your own peril.

We all get the symantics of that. The issue is why did Rambone sort of feel sorry for her in the first place? I say because she is female. Most women I talk to do not feel sorry for her.

Female president. On the one hand women make decisions from a different place then men, could be good. On the other hand a Female leader may encourage attack from different cultures who do not fear women. I know my Mom would kick all their asses.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If the entire world operated from the same place we do, which is respect goes a lot farther than fear, that would work. In other cultures, fear equates to respect. Respect the rank even if you don't respect the man. We prefer to respect the man regardless of his rank.

One reason I own and carry guns for personal defense is I have no desire to fight anyone hand to hand in a fair fight. BTDT. I respect what any aggressor or aggressors may be able to do to me in a fight. I also fear it. If they don't respect me and fail to fear me, proceed at your own peril.

We all get the symantics of that. The issue is why did Rambone sort of feel sorry for her in the first place? I say because she is female. Most women I talk to do not feel sorry for her.

Female president. On the one hand women make decisions from a different place then men, could be good. On the other hand a Female leader may encourage attack from different cultures who do not fear women. I know my Mom would kick all their asses.
    I fear your Mom. :nailbite:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I may have to take another look at Bachman now. I'd begun to think she was too lightweight and didn't get it.

Nations fearing us saves lives. Mostly theirs. If you don't understand that - and I mean this sincerely - if you don't understand that, then you don't understand foreign policy well enough to vote one way or another based on it.

Someday, and I hope it's not in my daughter's lifetime, we'll see real bloodshed here in the U.S. again. People think that because it hasn't happened in memory that it doesn't exist. It's always there, and we keep it at bay through a balancing act and because of our power. Read history, really read it.

Some dead children and fear for your family and a lot of this silliness will go right out the window.

Us and them? It's always us and them, whether we see it or not. And sometimes the only thing that keeps THEM (whoever they are) from hurting us is fear.

Which is why toppling Saddam didn't just save American lives. In the long run, it saved Arab lives.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I think history says otherwise. And I'm really okay with it if it's shaking in the boots fear too. Power comes not in the willingness to act but in others' belief of the willingness to act.

ETA: okay, I've been mulling your last comment around and I don't see a difference. I believe you are operating under a premise that is not necessarily true, and it is this point where the disagreement arises. But I'd like you to expand on your comment, if you will. What other reason would they have to fear us?

I think that nations should fear us because of our military might. I don't disagree there. I disagree with the attitude put forth by Bachmann that mere laughter and disrespect are sufficient reason to use our deadliest conventional weapons as if we must have every nation on the planet worshiping the ground our people walk on in fear of our retaliation. That attitude, IMO, shows insecurity and weakness and not strength.

We should be able to show our strength, and nations should fear to attack us or our allies. But nations should also be able to be utterly opposed to our way of life in every way (as Iran is) without worrying that we will destroy them out of insecurity.

The nations of today all respect and fear the retaliation of our military. I think that is fine and should be a goal for our armed forces. We have shown that we are ready, willing, and able to commit to war multiple times in the past century, and even when we have lost we have made excellent showings. We do not need to blow people up just to remind the uppity ones who the big boy in town is like some manner of druglord holding his turf.

To ensure that I'm not merely repeating the point and actually answer your query:

Nations should fear our retaliation to their aggressive and hostile actions. They should know that war against us is utterly futile and that an attempt to wage one can and will end their nation. They should not fear the name and flag of our nation on a consistent basis as if we were prideful warmongers who insist on stamping out even the weakest of nations for mere mocking laughter and disrespect. That is the distinction I was attempting to make, and the one I think Bachmann has missed.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I fear your Mom. :nailbite:
    My Dad Survived trekking around the arctic on foot, tracking ice flows for the military, not for fun. His reward for being one of the few survivors was doing multiple tours of war in two wars, both on the ground and in the air. Shot at point blank range, survived multiple test programs of various aircraft, crashes and explosions. He passed away 20 years ago.

It was not until a few years ago my Brother and I came to the realization our Mom was the true badass in our house. She turned 78 on 11/11 this year and she is still out kicking A** and taking names of people half her age walking in Mini marathons etc....it is easy for Men to underestimate Women. Then again, my Dad put women in certain roles for the first time while under his command, so he must have known?

Congress could keep Bachman in check on certain issues that concern me. Last night in our house, after once again reviewing all the batsh*t crazy loons in the Primary, including her, like a Phoenix she has risen. For me that is, for my GF I highly doubt it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    My Dad Survived trekking around the arctic on foot, tracking ice flows for the military, not for fun. His reward for being one of the few survivors was doing multiple tours of war in two wars, both on the ground and in the air. Shot at point blank range, survived multiple test programs of various aircraft, crashes and explosions. He passed away 20 years ago.

It was not until a few years ago my Brother and I came to the realization our Mom was the true badass in our house. She turned 78 on 11/11 this year and she is still out kicking A** and taking names of people half her age walking in Mini marathons etc....it is easy for Men to underestimate Women. Then again, my Dad put women in certain roles for the first time while under his command, so he must have known?

Congress could keep Bachman in check on certain issues that concern me. Last night in our house, after once again reviewing all the batsh*t crazy loons in the Primary, including her, like a Phoenix she has risen. For me that is, for my GF I highly doubt it.
    Oh I have no doubt in the capabilities of your Mom. I have one of those too. She only weighs 90 lbs. but she can still put the fear of god in you.

Now back to the topic at hand I think that maybe the reason Bachman takes such a tough stance and the way she states it is that you should'nt take her lightly just because she's a women and she want's to make it clear that she would have no problem making the tough decsions necessary when it comes time to taking care of business, just like any male candidate would.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Ours is a world governed by the aggressive use of force.

see also

"International relations" is the science of one country screwing another.

Should we initiate force against someone who has not taken force (economic or physical) against us? Likely not. Also highly unlikely that there's a country out that that doesn't act in its own percieved self-interest.

Based on that, do I mind if they fear us? Not at all.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think that nations should fear us because of our military might. I don't disagree there. I disagree with the attitude put forth by Bachmann that mere laughter and disrespect are sufficient reason to use our deadliest conventional weapons as if we must have every nation on the planet worshiping the ground our people walk on in fear of our retaliation. That attitude, IMO, shows insecurity and weakness and not strength.

I don't believe she said that their laughter/disrespect was the justification for military action.

I also don't think every nation on the planet is in fear of our bombs dropping without cause. Nations of violence are the only ones who have something to worry about. Whether or not our involvement for the cause of freedom is sufficient justification is up for debate. But we do not have a history of unwarranted invasion for the the sake mere economic gain/territorial expansion. Not in the recent past anyway.

Thanks for the civil response.

Top Bottom