• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Could this be something Indiana uses as a catalyst?

As a plurality of legislators are lawyers and what the law loves is plagarism, it is a good sign.

There have been discussions in creating an exemption for LTCH holders on school property (the concern I have with Indiana's statute is that school property could potentially come to the LCTH holder).

I drafted proposed language which is with LSA for over ten years now. I can tell you that members of the Indiana General Assembly have my proposal for this session. It is a nice bright-line exemption to the D felony which simply adds valid LCTH holders as an exempted class.

I do not believe anything will come of it (the axes of attack will be in different directions, we have other priorities this year), but Michigan's bill provides needed discussion time for next session.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I believe that in Michigan as it stands now if you possess their CHL to circumvent the Federal school gun free zone act then you can OC in k-12 schools.

This is coming from good sources within Michigan but not my own research.

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Now if we can get the gov. to sign it. Cost of class is $150-200. 8 hours long and fire 94 rounds. As a reserve police officer, I already have the exemption, however I may not always be a reserve, so I will have to take the class to keep it. Later, Bob
    T-Frost: with a CPL, yes, we can open carry in k-12 schools. However, it is not very well understood. Cops will be called and you will be asked to leave even though it is legal. They can press a trepass charge against you, but it will not be a gun charge. Hope that helps. Bob

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You're right, it's not perfect but peeling this onion will take awhile and at least it's in the right direction.

As a plurality of legislators are lawyers and what the law loves is plagarism, it is a good sign.

There have been discussions in creating an exemption for LTCH holders on school property (the concern I have with Indiana's statute is that school property could potentially come to the LCTH holder).

I drafted proposed language which is with LSA for over ten years now. I can tell you that members of the Indiana General Assembly have my proposal for this session. It is a nice bright-line exemption to the D felony which simply adds valid LCTH holders as an exempted class.

I do not believe anything will come of it (the axes of attack will be in different directions, we have other priorities this year), but Michigan's bill provides needed discussion time for next session.

Hey Kirk, what are the priorities being considered this year?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    T-Frost: with a CPL, yes, we can open carry in k-12 schools. However, it is not very well understood. Cops will be called and you will be asked to leave even though it is legal. They can press a trepass charge against you, but it will not be a gun charge. Hope that helps. Bob

It does, and I figured as such but it DOES point to the fact that they are probably the only state that has a chance to make precedent in this area.

:yesway:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Now if we can get the gov. to sign it. Cost of class is $150-200. 8 hours long and fire 94 rounds. As a reserve police officer, I already have the exemption, however I may not always be a reserve, so I will have to take the class to keep it. Later, Bob

I lived in MI all my life and never heard of any Police Reserves? They had some special deputy programs with emphasis on the "special", usually old guys directing traffic at parades unarmed etc. with pretty much no authority. Has something changed?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

What's higher priority than getting rid of GFZ's?

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My wife's mother lives up in Michigan, and is big in the 2A/CC scene. I know that in the area she lives in, they have had a "Sheriff's Auxiliary," which allowed them to take some extra training and eliminate either most or all, (I'm not sure,) of the GFZ's in their area. I do not think that this was related to this legislation however, as she was talking with me about this many months ago.

If you want more information, I may be able to prod her in this direction.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    My wife's mother lives up in Michigan, and is big in the 2A/CC scene. I know that in the area she lives in, they have had a "Sheriff's Auxiliary," which allowed them to take some extra training and eliminate either most or all, (I'm not sure,) of the GFZ's in their area. I do not think that this was related to this legislation however, as she was talking with me about this many months ago.

If you want more information, I may be able to prod her in this direction.

I've heard of groups within the Sheriffs Depts but they were usually nothing like here with the Reserve programs in IN. Usually they were just glorified volunteers that got to wear the pants and shirt of the Sheriffs dept. In MI they have part-time officers but those were usually guys who have been through the full academy and can't find a full-time job.

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    drillsgt, most if not all police and sheriff's Dept's have a reserve unit. Yea we do the parades, ball games at the schools, etc. We also ride with a full time officer and as such, we are their back-up. The dept. I am with, some of the reserves are able to do traffic stops, enforce the township ord's. Sometimes we are asked to transport prisoners from another county to ours. I am one of 4 reserves that is qualified to carry the AR-15 on duty. I do all the training a regular does. Later, Bob

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I believe that Mississippi does something similar with their permits/licence. If a person receives additional training they have the ability to carry a firearm in more places. I absolutely agree with this.

I also think police departments need to encourage even more participation from volunteer/reserve officers. There are good, professional, civic minded people out there that would volunteer some time to assist the full time officers in their duties.

Top Bottom