Midwest destination to 4x4, shoot, and camp?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    Have the week off work...nowhere to go. Anyone know of a location in Midwest (or within 8 hours) where you can offroad (jeep), camp, and shoot? Im a member at Linden Conservation Club; where you can camp and shoot but no offroading. Not to mention camping in a pasture isnt exactly exciting:).

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Yes, all over Northern Wisconsin. You just described where I live. The amount of public land and facilities available are impressive. You won't get all 3 in the exact same spot but in the same areas of forest you can find it.

I live in Price county / Phillips area. Also look at Nicolet and Chequamegon forests in general.

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    I got on wildcatadventures park but dont see anything for shooting. Camp wildcat just keeps bringing up info about a historic battlefield. Am I missing the actual camp's name?

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Greene-Sullivan S.F. area.

Camp in State Forest or private campgrounds
    4 wheeling at Red Bird
    Primative gun range at Minnehaha

All within a short drive of each other and less than a couple hours south of you.
    The fall Blue Gill fishing is pretty darn good this time of year too.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Yes, all over Northern Wisconsin. You just described where I live. The amount of public land and facilities available are impressive. You won't get all 3 in the exact same spot but in the same areas of forest you can find it.

I live in Price county / Phillips area. Also look at Nicolet and Chequamegon forests in general.

This would be the area I would recommend . I do a lot of snowmobiling in this area if Wisconsin , beautiful country . Would love to visit it this time of year .

Tourism is a big thing around these areas and everybody , I mean absolutely everybody is very friendly and wants you to have a great time . The food at all the local restaurants and bars is excellent .

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Greene-Sullivan S.F. area.

Camp in State Forest or private campgrounds
    4 wheeling at Red Bird
    Primative gun range at Minnehaha

All within a short drive of each other and less than a couple hours south of you.
    The fall Blue Gill fishing is pretty darn good this time of year too.
    About as local as you can get. I've done the above several times.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    This would be the area I would recommend . I do a lot of snowmobiling in this area if Wisconsin , beautiful country . Would love to visit it this time of year .

Tourism is a big thing around these areas and everybody , I mean absolutely everybody is very friendly and wants you to have a great time . The food at all the local restaurants and bars is excellent .
    It was all the people being so nice that convinced my wife to move here. I knew it but it was better that she could see it for herself. With less lakes and more forest anything that goes on a trail is,welcome here. They have extended the trails far enough we could legally go grocery shopping in a UTV if we wanted.

Eventually I may set up a steel range with a shop and test trails on the property to help suck a friend in to doing his custom go fast crap there. Drop a mill in the shop and cut him loose. Then maybe open it up to others. Steel is first.

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    I got on wildcatadventures park but dont see anything for shooting. Camp wildcat just keeps bringing up info about a historic battlefield. Am I missing the actual camp's name?

Grew up in London and I've always known it to be wildcat. It's part of a civil war encampment hence " camp wildcat". As far as shooting those hills and hollers go on and on for miles. I've shot rifles, shotguns and pistols there many times. As for getting there south i75 exit 909/ livingston take an immediate left and your there!

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    20150914_114234_resized.jpg 20150914_114257_resized.jpg 20150914_151138_resized.jpg 20150914_145754_resized.jpg 20150914_115810_resized.jpg

Found this place on my trip. Rockcastle Range in Park City, KY. The hotel is Mammoth Cave Resort. Really cool place! Have ranges out to 300yards and even a 1000 yard range for members. My pictures do not do it justice. Check out their website. They're even building a 2nd Amendment Housing Addition for gun enthusiasts (built in safes, drive utvs to golfcourse or shooting range, etc). Amazing place!

20150914_145545_resized.jpg

www.rockcastleshootingcenter.com

marmion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Minnehaha Shooting range CLOSED Permanently

This range has been closed permanently. Don't waste your time driving out there. For a while you could drive around the bulldozed barriers but now there are signs saying no trespassing and its impossible to access.

Top Bottom