• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rangerobber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    New Carlisle
    I have graced the doors of MIdwest for the last time. They have the worst customer service I have experienced in a long time. Everytime I have been there it is like pulling teeth to get someone to show you a gun and when they do they leave you to help someone else. I was there yesterday to purchase a holster walked around for 20 minutes and could not find a saleman to help, so I went behind the counter to find one for myself. Took less than 1 minute for a salesman to ask if I needed help. Finally I was given a holster to look at and even was taken to the gun counter to try a pistol for fit. Guess what, within 1 minute at the counter my salesman saw a buddy and stopped helping me with my purchase. So I am standing there with the holster and gun in my hand and he is joking with his friend, I asked for the price of the holster and he reluctantly said, "I don't know, around $50." I laid the gun & holster on the counter and walked out vowing never to return! I will shop online and pay the shipping, and by the way Buy your guns from Buds Gunshop, free shipping and the lowest prices around.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    You wonder how they can stay in business conducting business like that.

Not really most people are who#$^ when it comes to buying things and they are the biggest of the w##reS in Indiana that sell guns.

People that buy guns from them are not looking for service they are looking to save 5.00.:rolleyes:

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    Everytime I go in, I think I am a ghost. Can't tell you how many times I left with a big wad of cash in my pocket because of poor customer service. Now, I go to look and compare different firearms, but always buy somplace else.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I can say I have been there one time and the gentleman that helped me spent over an hour showing me various guns and explaining the attributes of each. I have nothing but good things to say about this store. I'm not here to defend either you or the store but everyone that I saw including another INGO member that I went with received friendly prompt service. We did leave and come back because we forgot to pick up a couple magazines and had to wait a few minutes until someone was free but it was clear that all clerks were waiting on customers at the time.

rangerobber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    New Carlisle
    Lucky U, if this was the first or even the second time this has happen I would agree, but there is no excuse for the salesperson who was helping me to blow me off for his buddy. I first thought it was because I am over 50, but I have read the same comments from the young shoppers also. Maybe they don't like my camouflage hat!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have graced the doors of MIdwest for the last time. They have the worst customer service I have experienced in a long time. Everytime I have been there it is like pulling teeth to get someone to show you a gun and when they do they leave you to help someone else. I was there yesterday to purchase a holster walked around for 20 minutes and could not find a saleman to help, so I went behind the counter to find one for myself. Took less than 1 minute for a salesman to ask if I needed help. Finally I was given a holster to look at and even was taken to the gun counter to try a pistol for fit. Guess what, within 1 minute at the counter my salesman saw a buddy and stopped helping me with my purchase. So I am standing there with the holster and gun in my hand and he is joking with his friend, I asked for the price of the holster and he reluctantly said, "I don't know, around $50." I laid the gun & holster on the counter and walked out vowing never to return! I will shop online and pay the shipping, and by the way Buy your guns from Buds Gunshop, free shipping and the lowest prices around.
    That is REAL good customer svc., left you with a gun in your hand, I would be calling the store, and reporting that employee, if he gets fired, he deserves it... I would have started walking, anywhere, just to see, if he was paying attention, and found another employee, and said, look what so & so let me walk around with !!!!! :twocents:

topash

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Anywhere
    My experiences with the Mishawaka store have always been as described in the original post. The salespeople only want to talk to their friends and are not helpful at all. I have left there many times bent out of shape without being able to make a purchase. It's not uncommon to waste a half hour trying to get someone to help you with a purchase.

Their Elkhart store is just the opposite. It is much smaller, but you can get in and make a purchase and get out without being made to feel like a leper. Fortunately I work close to this store and I can avoid the Mishawaka one.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    And yet people will go there to save $10.00 and give up their loyalty to a store that has spent time and answered all their questions. :dunno:

Squatch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Midwest is the only place that I have ever been where I intended to buy a gun and had an employee walk away when I started asking questions. The kicker was that they didn't have what I went in for and was looking at something twice the price. He put the gun away, walked down to the end of the case to see if someone else needed help, and when they didn't he leaned up against something taking it easy. Shocked, I looked over at my wife who just shrugged at me.

That was right before they moved and I have only been to the new store a couple times. The first time my dad was in from out of town and wanted to check it out. The placed was packed full of yuppies and the few minutes that it took to walk the circle, I had never been swept so many times in my life. The last time I walked right in, they didn't have what I wanted, so I walked right out. I love looking around gun shops, but not this place.

Picked up a PF-9 a couple weeks ago at Granger and he seemed happy to sell me something.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    And yet people will go there to save $10.00 and give up their loyalty to a store that has spent time and answered all their questions. :dunno:

Tell me, what gun store in Lake county is good? Or can answer any questions? Debs? Blythes? Westforthe? lol! If you are shopping at any of them, Midwest beats them by hundreds of dollars. Heck they'll be 3 figures lower even on a keltec P3AT :laugh:

The only good guys in Lake County work out of their houses. As for Porter Co I can't really say, blythes in valpo has a few guys who actually try -unlike their griffith store, which pisses me off I dropped a few grand on a safe there when I first moved here.... didn't know any better at the time, my idiot neighbor recommended them. Like the griffith store, their prices are sky friggin high.

I'll gladly make the drive to midwest over anything I've found here locally. Remember chuck at CNI? He was the rudest person I've ever met in a shop! In fact, he told me he was THE exclusive dealer in NWI for Century Arms! I walked right out and order my C&R packet that day, lol.

I have no connection to midwest they just happen to be closer than J&M out of Vincenes.

As for FFL transfers, I dealt with a guy in Cedar Lake (robinson IIRC) who was good and now in Porter Co I use GL Shooters, both charge $20 bucks and are very friendly, they can also order for you and not charge an arm and a leg.

Believe me, I'd love to shop local but not when it costs me hundreds of dollars.

Just as an aside... who goes into a gun shop to ask questions? If any of you spent enough time on this board you'd see virtually ever gun shop is completely ignorant of gun laws and what they are selling.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I always go to Tim whenever I buy from Midwest. Good guy that really knows guns.
    :+1:Tims a heck of a guy~!:yesway: unfortunatly he has not been around there much, I heard he went back to another job and was just supposed to be there on weekends, however I'v been in on 2 weekends and he hasn't been there....
    Tim pretty much brought me back to midwest, I don't have much interest in purchasing guns from other employees.
    Midwest took a huge hit when(if) they lost Tim if you ask me.:dunno:

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    My experiences with the Mishawaka store have always been as described in the original post. The salespeople only want to talk to their friends and are not helpful at all. I have left there many times bent out of shape without being able to make a purchase. It's not uncommon to waste a half hour trying to get someone to help you with a purchase.

Their Elkhart store is just the opposite. It is much smaller, but you can get in and make a purchase and get out without being made to feel like a leper. Fortunately I work close to this store and I can avoid the Mishawaka one.

+1 yup, totally different service at Midwest Gun & Range in Elkhart. Unfortunately they do not stock nearly the same amount/variety of inventory. I've been to the Mishawaka store on a number of occasions & had to stand around & eventually corner & hunt someone down to buy what I came in for (ammo, holster, mags).

Tim@Midwest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Thank you, INMILine and 00BlasterResto. I assure you, I am still with MGE, and intend to stay for a long time. I was out of town for the INDY 1500 last weekend, but will be in the store this Saturday.
    I am surprised and disappointed to see so much negative feedback here. We genuinely try to take very good care of each and every one of our customers. It's simply not our way to disregard anyone, even if they are shopping for nothing more than advice. I personally apologize for any mistreatment you may have received. We do, however, get very busy sometimes, and it becomes difficult to give everyone the attention that they need.
    Feel free to stop in on any Saturday, and ask for me. I'll do my best to make your visit a pleasant one. Thank you all again. Shoot straight, and be safe! -Tim

Last edited:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have been to Midwest several times...sometimes it seems you get ignored and sometimes they are very helpful. Well I guess nothing is perfect, but when I am saving $100.00 over Bass Pro prices I'll go to Midwest.

LEO IN TRAINING

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    wheatfield, indiana
    i have never been to midwest but i have a place by me called Blythes valpo, Griffith store is alot better, but valpo is bad, no service what so ever behind the counter....rude and some have no idea what they are talking about, just want to get a sale no matter if they sell you a high priced peice of metal....

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I've met only ONE staff member at Blythes Valpo who was helpful and didn't act like an idiot. Although they are down the road from my residence I'd rather drive 2 hours out of my way. The only reason I step in there is to get a feel for what I want, then purchase elsewhere.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I use a small sealer in Valpo. I decide what I want, and then call or email him for the price. he us usually very reasonable and works on small markup. As far as Blythes goes...they seem quite high to me. I have had fairly good luck at Midwest. I bought 4 guns from them in 2007. The service may have changed since they moved.

Top Bottom