Military "Modular Handgun System" test competitor fires as fast as full auto AK4

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    the us military did not want to go to the 9mm. nato forced the goverment to adopt the 9mm, if our goverment had the testicular fortitude to stand up to nato our boys in camo would still carry the 45acp!

now the detonics looks cool!, acording to mellonsdad its a quality detonics pistol, he should know, i think he owns more than anybody.

BUT at a msrp of 1500.00 will they ever be able to get that price down to compare to other goverment pricing?, remember they pay less than 250.00 for every beretta they buy, and with a 700.00 msrp for beretta, and 1500.00 for the mtx, can detonics ever get to that price point?, and if so why wouldnt the goverment drop the "hammer" so to speak, and drop the hammer!, and go to a striker fired gun with a even lower msrp?,the m&p, the sr45, and the glock all have a lower msrp, and if the goverment started buying those in quantity, could you imagine the price the goverment could get on those models!

now mellonsdad a question for you, i'm sure you have been to the factory at detonics, if the goverment placed an order for 10 thousand pistols, do they have the facilitys to make them in a timely manor?,would thay have the manpower and capability to produce them?

i like the gun!, looks great!, but is it really a contender for a military contract?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    ... Lowest I've seen on the timer w/ my glock was 0.09s (just a couple times, not sustained). 0.12-13s splits sustained are not hard.

ps. I'm not a "pro" shooter either, also just an engineer....... ;)

-rvb

An engineer with a trick-trigger-finger! For normal people, sustained .12-13s are not easy.

Hitting an average of .24 with an occasional .1x keeping it controlled just enough not to throw one over the berm, super easy. I'm sure just about anyone could do that, with any gun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    the us military did not want to go to the 9mm. nato forced the goverment to adopt the 9mm, if our goverment had the testicular fortitude to stand up to nato our boys in camo would still carry the 45acp!

now the detonics looks cool!, acording to mellonsdad its a quality detonics pistol, he should know, i think he owns more than anybody.

BUT at a msrp of 1500.00 will they ever be able to get that price down to compare to other goverment pricing?, remember they pay less than 250.00 for every beretta they buy, and with a 700.00 msrp for beretta, and 1500.00 for the mtx, can detonics ever get to that price point?, and if so why wouldnt the goverment drop the "hammer" so to speak, and drop the hammer!, and go to a striker fired gun with a even lower msrp?,the m&p, the sr45, and the glock all have a lower msrp, and if the goverment started buying those in quantity, could you imagine the price the goverment could get on those models!

now mellonsdad a question for you, i'm sure you have been to the factory at detonics, if the goverment placed an order for 10 thousand pistols, do they have the facilitys to make them in a timely manor?,would thay have the manpower and capability to produce them?

i like the gun!, looks great!, but is it really a contender for a military contract?

As said earlier, they probabpy can if they license the design to a large scale manufacturer and automate production. You know, just like there are Singer 1911s from ww2. Scale it up and production costs drop.

while 3 guys doing it in a small shop by hand cant do it for that cheap, somebody with facilities the size of Remington, Glock, etc. probably could.

Hell, it would be freakin hilarious if Detonics won and Beretta ended up getting the production contract. :):

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

No, I have not been to any of the Detonics factories. 90% of my Detonics collection is from the original Washington state factory. But I do have some from each of the other factories too. I own a handful from the current Illinois factory and have spoken to the president of Detonics on many occasions, trade emails, etc. That said, I have enough knowledge to say that Detonics could NOT produce the guns. As I said previously, they would have to license out production or contract out production to meet any high volume contract. Detonics has always been a handbuilt and hand fitted gun by real gunsmiths, not an assembled gun in an assembly line style factory.

As to the question about it being a "contender for the military contract" to that I can give no educated answer. But what I can say is that if you look at the criteria of the military for their new "Modular Handgun System" then there are virtually no guns on the mass market today that meet their criteria. It appears, based on the criteria, that the Detonics 1911 "MTX" model pistol may meet the criteria, if so it may be one of only a couple gun designs in the world that could do so. The management at Detonics does NOT have a big government lobbying budget, they don't have a staff of PR people, they don't have a big K Street lobbying firm in their back pocket. So while the gun may meet the criteria, or be very very close, its obvious the company has little clout in the filthy snakepit that is politics. But they do have some elite operators and elite military people who favor their guns. Is that enough? Probably not.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have never really heard of Detonics before, but it does look like they make a good pistol. I wouldn't rule them out of winning, especially for more elite units, but they won't have the lobbying power, per above.

If they knew they had a large contract they could get a loan and build a new/larger factory with CNC machines, etc and "make it work". LMT was a small company also making quality parts for other firearms companies, but they have grown. They make a pretty good rifle (LMT-MWS) with it's modular weapon system as used by UK/NZ forces. Winning the UK order was a surprise at the time, beating out HK and FNH even. If LMT can win a contract due to their innovation and accuracy/reliability, etc, then Detonics may have a good chance.

I wish Detonics well.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have never really heard of Detonics before, but it does look like they make a good pistol. . .

Detonics has been around since the mid-1970s and they have more patents on the 1911 design than anyone else other than John M Browning. Their primary customer base was traditionally professional shooters (police officers).

They developed the first practical stainless steel for auto pistols. Remember the 2 tone handguns with stainless frames and blue steel slides? That was because Colt, etc could not mate up stainless slides/stainless frames without the steel galling and the gun failing. Developed the first RELIABLE compact 1911 pistols and are still considered to be the most reliable compact 1911 pistols made.

They developed the coned/tapered bull barrels used on EVERY compact 1911 style pistol in the world today, as well as multi spring captured recoil systems and many countless others.

All of their guns were hand fitted, hand built by real gunsmiths. They have always been expensive because they are a semi-custom type company, pretty much always were, pretty much still are.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Detonics has been around since the mid-1970s and they have more patents on the 1911 design than anyone else other than John M Browning. Their primary customer base was traditionally professional shooters (police officers).

They developed the first practical stainless steel for auto pistols. Remember the 2 tone handguns with stainless frames and blue steel slides? That was because Colt, etc could not mate up stainless slides/stainless frames without the steel galling and the gun failing. Developed the first RELIABLE compact 1911 pistols and are still considered to be the most reliable compact 1911 pistols made.

They developed the coned/tapered bull barrels used on EVERY compact 1911 style pistol in the world today, as well as multi spring captured recoil systems and many countless others.

All of their guns were hand fitted, hand built by real gunsmiths. They have always been expensive because they are a semi-custom type company, pretty much always were, pretty much still are.
    It seems that many of the qualities you list would cause them to be immediately eliminated for consideration of a government contract.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, they'd have to license it out; Armalite would never have been able to make all those M16s. It looks to me like a good design, and if it can fire the way it should, objectively it should be a contender. Objectivity doesn't seem to have a home in the .gov, however. Volume should make it a lot cheaper, and hopefully not compromise performance. Even if the .mil doesn't buy it, I might pick one up; seems like an upgrade from my current doublestack .45.

Top Bottom