• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Jolfe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Muncie
    I really hope they do what the Swiss army just did for all their special forces, retire the Sigs and adopt the Glock 17 and 26. :patriot:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Sorry Mike, but anecdotal evidence and bold/capital letters don't trump physics and real world data. Gabby surviving was pretty miraculous and she most certainly was incapacitated. I noticed you didn't reply to the link I provided, which actually had some data attached to it. Here it is again for you: Stopping Power

There is nothing magical about the .45ACP.
    Well.....
    We'll just have to disagree. :)
    I grew up reading Jeff Cooper, Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan, and other guys who actually used their handguns in self defense.
    Not some computer geek who made a program showing the "probable" results of wound ballistics.
    The accounts by the "old timers" are loaded with first hand information.
    You might try reading some of them. I think you'll like their writings and come away with a fresh perspective on the strong, and weak points of handgun calibers. :yesway:

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Springfield, Glock, .45, .380, bacon, lampua, head shots, gifford.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gjFTxHH7tw&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gjFTxHH7tw&feature=related[/ame]

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Well.....
    We'll just have to disagree. :)
    I grew up reading Jeff Cooper, Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan, and other guys who actually used their handguns in self defense.
    Not some computer geek who made a program showing the "probable" results of wound ballistics.
    The accounts by the "old timers" are loaded with first hand information.
    You might try reading some of them. I think you'll like their writings and come away with a fresh perspective on the strong, and weak points of handgun calibers. :yesway:

good thing 9mm is not the most widely used handgun caliber worldwide

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I'll take data from hundreds and hundreds of actual shootings over anecdotes from the oldtimers. Data says with ball there's no statistically significant difference.

Last time I listened to an oldtimer, he told me how he walked 15 miles to school everyday,in the snow, uphill both ways. :laugh:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    we started to use the Glock 21. I was very skeptical. I had fired the .45 before and was not happy with it. After the transition and drills we went through, I became a believer. It is a great gun with good stopping power.

shoot the radio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    How would a plastic gun like a glock, hold up in a harsh environment like Iraq? Also, what is the meaning of bacon? One would think that the .40 would be the best.

Glocks were issed to the iraqi forces by the us because "they can" withstand the environment....if the beretta is truly going to the wayside,I believe glock has a good chance

gibby101

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Liberty
    S&W MP

I Personally would love to be issues an M&P the m9 is a junk weapon system i havnt ever handled or shot one i have liked and yes the mags suck and also the weapon plays a big part in the over all suck. As long as they replace it idk what they replace it with. But I think the M&P or the Glock would be nice issue weapon for us.:rockwoot:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Glocks were issed to the iraqi forces by the us because "they can" withstand the environment....if the beretta is truly going to the wayside,I believe glock has a good chance

Actually the Iraqis got Glocks cause they were the Cheapest unit Price in the quantity that was asked for in a Rapid filling...

Had absolutely nothing to do with performance...

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    There is going to be a political component to this you know.

When Beretta won 25 years ago, was there a good American option available?

There is today. If S&W is even close, they will win. As they should.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Actually the Iraqis got Glocks cause they were the Cheapest unit Price in the quantity that was asked for in a Rapid filling...

Had absolutely nothing to do with performance...

Lets also not forget that Iran is now using the glocks. I don't buy into the mythical glock reliability, but over all it's a great weapon and is certainly as reliable as anything else. The fact that it's inexpensive is just icing on the cake.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Not so sure about that. It's a completely different experience when the target has the potential to shoot back.

It's kill or be killed. There is no other mind-set when it's you and someone else one on one.

Besides, not every SEAL has been in combat... everyone has to pop their cherry.

Environment would also weigh in. If the two were in a building where the SEAL could move slowly, use cover and tactics, he'd win.

If the two were face to face on the street with no where to go, different story.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom