Milsurps Suck!! (military surplus rifles/arms)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VGFsirius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2013
    Carmel
    Barry has mentioned being in Indiana in a few videos, and was wearing an INGO shirt in a video. Does anyone know if he is a member?

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Christie's auction in Southport had a crate of 20 Mosin's all with sequential serial numbers. Went for around $2000 a few weeks back a buddy showed me the auction list. The sequential serial numbers part got me, 20 in a crate all numbered up after how many years?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Christie's auction in Southport had a crate of 20 Mosin's all with sequential serial numbers. Went for around $2000 a few weeks back a buddy showed me the auction list. The sequential serial numbers part got me, 20 in a crate all numbered up after how many years?
    Heck, $100 a rifle is a great deal no matter how you slice it! Plus the crate = free coffee table! :D

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Love me some milsurp action! Got an all numbers match 1940 k98k vet bring back, shot it Sunday most impressive was hitting 4 out of 4 shots at 300 yards on a 14" target. With iron sights and an inexperienced shooter I think that's pretty darn good (I may have been cheating with a rest, but I was trying to figure out where to put the sights to hit that far).. By far my favorite firearm to shoot. looking forward to going to the vintage bolt gun shoot on Oct. 19th.

Jon

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Love me some milsurp action! Got an all numbers match 1940 k98k vet bring back, shot it Sunday most impressive was hitting 4 out of 4 shots at 300 yards on a 14" target. With iron sights and an inexperienced shooter I think that's pretty darn good (I may have been cheating with a rest, but I was trying to figure out where to put the sights to hit that far).. By far my favorite firearm to shoot. looking forward to going to the vintage bolt gun shoot on Oct. 19th.

Jon

Heck yeah. I'd take that all day long.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis

Jon

I have Russian Capture 98k that I proudly display in my Avatar that shoots just as well!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have;

91/30 Tula Mosin Nagant
    T53 Chinese knock-off of the M44
    Norinco SKS
    1945 Lithgow SMLE (.303 British)
    1941 Type 99 Arisaka (w/intact mum!) 7.7x58 Jap
    1895 Nagant pistol (7.62x38R)

I have a grand total of $275 in ALL of them TOGETHER!

They all shoot as would be expected. None are museum pieces but I don't care.
    I like the history.

Seriously doubt I'd sell any of them.

BACKLASH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    ECI
    Everyone looks at the olds MilSurps and compares them to todays technology. Thats comparing a Model a to a Corvette. They are what they are, OLD. They have lasted and stood the test of time. Anytime they are taken out they are going to have some issues. They are old. They are not (for the most part) as accurate as todays weaponry. However you take an M4 out the the range in 60 years and see how that little pee shooter performs. They are what has defended the freedoms and fought the good and bad sides of many of wars. Its not whether they can out perform your noveske its that they still perform (for the most part) as they day they were mass produced and thrown at some kids fighting for his side... If they could tell a story....

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Everyone looks at the olds MilSurps and compares them to todays technology. Thats comparing a Model a to a Corvette. They are what they are, OLD. They have lasted and stood the test of time. Anytime they are taken out they are going to have some issues. They are old. They are not (for the most part) as accurate as todays weaponry. However you take an M4 out the the range in 60 years and see how that little pee shooter performs. They are what has defended the freedoms and fought the good and bad sides of many of wars. Its not whether they can out perform your noveske its that they still perform (for the most part) as they day they were mass produced and thrown at some kids fighting for his side... If they could tell a story....

Nicely done with the issue of fair comparison. Another thing easy to overlook is how low-maintenance many of these old guns are. Particularly for SHTF purposes, not needing a truck full of spares and a resident armorer is definitely a plus. While I do not own a Mosin, I have had a couple of classic battle rifles. The outstanding thing is that if one runs out of ammunition, it is still an excellent bayonet platform, and in the absence of a bayonet, a credible blunt instrument. I would hate having to beat someone as a last resort with a malfunctioning [insert modern plastic/aluminum/stamping smallbore of your choice], or having to use the butt of such a weapon for a stealth attack.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nicely done with the issue of fair comparison. Another thing easy to overlook is how low-maintenance many of these old guns are. Particularly for SHTF purposes, not needing a truck full of spares and a resident armorer is definitely a plus. While I do not own a Mosin, I have had a couple of classic battle rifles. The outstanding thing is that if one runs out of ammunition, it is still an excellent bayonet platform, and in the absence of a bayonet, a credible blunt instrument. I would hate having to beat someone as a last resort with a malfunctioning [insert modern plastic/aluminum/stamping smallbore of your choice], or having to use the butt of such a weapon for a stealth attack.

Well Said!

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood

They are low maintenance in most cases as you said, but that is not the perception. They are also easy to sell if you have to, but again that is not the perception. Perception is not always reality.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Never been much of a rifle shooter but starting to get into it. I had bought a 1942 Model 38 Swedish Mauser 20 yrs ago and never fired it. (it had been sporterized with a very nice piece of walnut for a stock. Finally got around to putting glass on it. (I know, but it was already bastardized) and used it for deer hunting in WI this season since they opened the whole state to rifle hunting. Where I had hunted had always been shotgun only.

The 6.5x55 round dropped a nice buck opening morning. Precise shot right where I aimed it. Little recoil, just a clean fast kill just as it's supposed to be. The action is smooth and locks up positively. I don't know what is not to like about it? I have some other rifles now, a CZ American in .204, a Model 70 from the 1950s in .270, a 30-06 Woodmaster, 17HMR, and another Mauser in 8mm that was built as a long range target rifle.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Milsurps have a story and I really like that. Obviously everyone enjoys something that shoots well, but sometimes the story of a rifle is much more interesting than the hole it puts in a piece of paper. Some happen to shoot quite well too though! I am much more likely to part with a rifle any random guy with a wad of cash can buy at the LGS than a milsurp I looked high and low for. Just need to find something that interests you I guess. My family is from Finland so some of the mosins were particularly interesting.

JBLee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Northside Indy Suburbs
    Shooting an inaccurate rifle is like playing a game where the rules keep changing.

You have never experienced a Finn-Mosin M-39 I suppose. Your loss my friend. All of mine have been fantastic. If you ever get the chance, take it. These Rifles are brining over $600.00 today, when you can find them, and back just a few years ago could be had for just over $200. Finest shooting Mosin Nagant rifles out there.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C

Kinda late, but I'd be willing to bet that the sequential numbers are the importer applied numbers, not the original arsenal number.

Top Bottom