• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    This past Saturday I had the opportunity to sit with the guys from Mindset Labs to take Shay's 4 hour lock picking class. It was taught by Shay and his lock picking savant, Ben. My lock picking experience prior to this had been limited to fooling around with a Masterlock Padlock and paperclips assisted by the all-knowing YouTube. Needless to say, the lock never opened without the key. Post the 4 hour class and proper picks, I can pop the same lock in under 60 seconds. Additionally I spent the rest of Saturday trying my newly acquired skills picking all the locks in my house. Talk about a reinforcement to the quote that "locks are there to keep honest people honest.". If you ever needed another reminder about why you keep that pistol in your nightstand, try seeing how easy it is to break into your own house without just kicking the door off the hinges….I digress.

In a nutshell…this was a great course directed at the beginner. Eight students, some with past Mindset Labs experience and others, like me, new to the place. The entire class was conducted in a conference room with comfy chairs and A/C. Did I mention free bagels. Tools, for purchase later if you desired, were provided along with a basic understanding of lock anatomy/physiology. After a quick run through the tools we worked on basic technique. Shay started us on "old-school" technique, to reinforce how newer, shinier tools worked on the same principle of the older stuff. We started picking a single-pin lock and quickly progressed up to 5 pin locks. I'm pretty comfortable saying that I think by the end all of us had popped a 5 pin at least once. Additionally we had a quick run down of how to make your own tools if you needed/wanted to. Like most courses discussed in this forum, they gave you the basics and a path to get better, all you need to do is practice.

If you are interested in picking up this skill, or at the least spending 4 hours in relative comfort with some fun people talking s*^t and challenging yourself, this was a great 50 bucks. The only thing I regret is not signing up for the Escaping Restraints class that started right after lunch. A mistake I soon plan to correct. Thanks Shay. Great class. Great people.

Mike

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Mike, we realize you have various comittments that didn't let you stay so to work around you're schedule, Shay decided we could just come over, kidnap you at night, put you in the trunk and you have until morning to escape the restraints.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I was amazed at how easy it was to pick a lock when I bought my first set of Bogota Sere Picks! I didn't realize someone was teaching a class, off to Shay's website...

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I have so much fun teaching this class. Lock picking is a perishable skill, so keep up your practice.

Come back for the next Escaping Restraints class and have another free bagel. :)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Handcuffs and flex cuffs are fun to bypass. Lock picking is something I used to enjoy a lot. Now except for the occasional friend locked out of a car, house, or safe, I don't do much of it.

brianheeter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    I attended both classes that day. Both were very well worth the time and money spent. Will I ever be bound and have to escape? I hope not but I will have a much better shot at success now that I've taken the escaping restraints class. Will I ever lock myself out of my house or need to bypass a lock that I own? Undoubtedly! The lockpicking class was great for revealing how vulnerable we are if we are placing too much trust in mechanical devices (that can be bought at Wal-Mart) to keep us safe.

Thanks, Shay. Keep up the good work!

C ya,

brian

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The lockpicking and escaping restraints classes were a lot of fun I thought. I was hooked on learning how to lock pick and have been practicing ever since I took the class a long time ago now.

Top Bottom