• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    Everyone who carries a weapon should have already had a serious conversation with themselves about their ability to take a life should they be forced to do so. Beyond that reality, though, is the fact that you may well be wounded during an encounter. You must KNOW at a core level that you WILL overcome any obstacle or threat and you WILL SURVIVE. Doubt cannot enter your mind. If you allow yourself to give up because you are injured, you will die. This is an unacceptable outcome. Ingrain in your mind that 80% of handgun wounds are survivable. If you are in pain, you are still alive. Continue fighting and stop the threat. Imagine yourself being shot, stabbed, beaten, and then imagine yourself overcoming your injuries and finishing the fight and going home to your family. Failure and defeat are not options in a life & death battle. Never NEVER let them enter your mind.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I personally believe this is one of the most (if not the most) important thing one can learn about survival. I suspect most people have never really been punched hard in the face, let alone shot, stabbed or sliced. And the very first time it happens to someone, most people will just stop. They're done. While it would not be recommended to take a knife wound or get shot just for educational purposes, I think everyone ought to find a local place where physical sparring is permitted and experience getting hit a few times. While it is possible certainly to get knocked cold in a fight, or shot in the CNS, I would surmise that for the vast majority of fights it isn't the opponent that takes someone out of the fight; it is the person themselves mentally calling it a day.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I personally believe this is one of the most (if not the most) important thing one can learn about survival. I suspect most people have never really been punched hard in the face, let alone shot, stabbed or sliced. And the very first time it happens to someone, most people will just stop. They're done. While it would not be recommended to take a knife wound or get shot just for educational purposes, I think everyone ought to find a local place where physical sparring is permitted and experience getting hit a few times. While it is possible certainly to get knocked cold in a fight, or shot in the CNS, I would surmise that for the vast majority of fights it isn't the opponent that takes someone out of the fight; it is the person themselves mentally calling it a day.
    BTDT. Worst contact came from the spouse too! :):

What I learned: I hate getting hit. The pain or discomfort is secondary to the "red" I see. I actually had to quit the sparring because it operated under rules that limited my responses, and I wasn't about to check my instinctual responses for the sake of scoring a few points or avoiding disqualification.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Good post. Has to be embedded deep in your core that you'll do whatever it takes to survive, and that most wounds are not QUICKLY fatal. Finish the fight, then get medical attention.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The will to prevail may be the most important factor in determining how the individual resolves a combat scenario.

'Blind fury' will not necessarily accomplish success. Focused determination will.

Last edited:

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    Mind-Set is THE most important aspect of surviving all forms of violence, not just lethal threats. I often tell my clients that when they are mentally prepared to do whatever is necessary to successfully deal with the worst-case scenario, all of those low level threats they are more likely to face will be easy in comparison.

Top Bottom