• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I've seen the slip on flash hiders for the models with the old blade style front sight for years. Its unclear to me from looking at websites which, if any, of these products fit the eared front sight on a newer Ranch Rifle.

Is there a no cut solution to mount a flash hider on a Ranch Rifle?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I've seen the slip on flash hiders for the models with the old blade style front sight for years. Its unclear to me from looking at websites which, if any, of these products fit the eared front sight on a newer Ranch Rifle.

Is there a no cut solution to mount a flash hider on a Ranch Rifle?
    Tagged for interest. What was the difference? Are we talking pre series 80 models?

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Older minis have a big dumb unprotected blade for a front sight. Several companies make cheap flash hiders that slip over the muzzle and lock into place by twisting it around the front sight.

Newer minis have a front sight tower with an AR'esq post, protected with dog ears. It has significantly different dimentions.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Big sigh.

All of that stuff requires a factory threaded barrel, cutting off your barrel and threading it, or cutting off your barrel and pinning on a flash hider with an integrated front sight.

That 'slip on' option listed still requires you to chop the barrel and drill for a pin.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Big sigh.

All of that stuff requires a factory threaded barrel, cutting off your barrel and threading it, or cutting off your barrel and pinning on a flash hider with an integrated front sight.

That 'slip on' option listed still requires you to chop the barrel and drill for a pin.
    The perks of Mini 14 ownership.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Looks like some move the front sight back and then thread.
    Too bad no slip ons.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Yea, that guy must think his $h!t don't stink.

I called Jerry Slaughter of Civic Duty Gunsmithing in LaPorte and described what I wanted to do. A week later this is the result:

free image hosting

My wood stock Ruger Ranch Rifle now wares a Griffin Armament flash comp.

I don't want to put words in Jerry's mouth, or cost him any dollars in the future so I won't share the exact price. I WILL say that the work done cost me SIGNIFICANTLY less, even after taxes and a seperate transfer fee, then the dude in the above link is quoting as his base price. He must not actually want to take on those jobs.

I was a traditional machinist for a few years. I know exactly what operations need done to accomplish this, and the tolerance involved. I'm out of the trade and no longer have access to the tooling and machinery. Jerry did an excellent job with a quick turn around at a very competitive price.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom