• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Indiana still not making the cut because our laws aren't "substantially" like theirs, i.e. no training requirement here (thank God).

Of importance to many of us, including me, Utah was removed from the list so Utah permit holders, cross Minnesota off your list.

2015 Reciprocity Changes for Minnesota Carry Permit Holders

[url]http://www.ammoland.com/2015/08/utah-carry-permit-no-longer-recognized-by-the-state-of-minnesota/?utm_source=Ammoland+Subscribers&utm_campaign=e7bdeeb157-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6f6fac3eaa-e7bdeeb157-20594033#axzz3ihUKhQT7

[/URL]

Last edited:

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Well, hell. Been planning a trip for months up to MN, got the Utah nonresident just for the trip. Now a bunch of elected doofusses up and change things only a few short weeks before the trip. Pity there's no way to send these idiots a bill for the class and permit fees. Sadly, hotel reservations, time off from job, etc, have all been made before hearing this news. Otherwise I'd think really hard about cancelling the whole thing.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Here is the email I just sent to MN DPS:

Commissioner's Office
    445 Minnesota Street, Suite 1000
    St. Paul MN 55101

To the Commissioner, Minnesota Department of Public Safety:

Based on your memorandum dated August 11, 2015, the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit is no longer valid in the state of Minnesota. You have made a grievous error and I only hope that you reconsider and do the right thing by reversing your decision.

You should be aware that a significant number of people have obtained a Utah CFP specifically because it was recognized in Minnesota. Your decision has placed an unreasonable inconvenience on many who wish to visit your state. By denying them the ability to carry the means for self-protection lawfully, you place us at an elevated level of risk that I find unacceptable. Your decision is ill-advised, will not make anyone safer, and will make many non-Minnesota residents less safe when they visit.

For several months I have had plans in place to visit Minnesota from 26 December 2015 through the first week of January of 2016. Because of your decision, my plans are canceled and I will not enter your state unless and until either your office reinstates the former validity of the Utah CFP or chooses to honor the Indiana License to Carry Handgun. I do not anticipate a positive decision on your part, hence you should consider all of my future travel plans to Minnesota also canceled. That means, of course, that I will not patronize any of the businesses in the area, such as hotels, restaurants, shops, and anywhere that benefits from visitors' trade. Furthermore, I intend to notify all of my friends and acquaintances who hold Utah CFPs of this new policy and recommend that they too refuse to enter your state.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Of note, Arizona is not recognized, either. Sad. Fortunately, there are, as of the middle of September, 32 states that welcome us and our spending dollars:

Alabama
    Alaska
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Colorado (resident only)
    Florida (resident only)
    Georgia
    Idaho
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Maine (as of Sept. 15 or so)
    Michigan (resident only)
    Mississippi
    Missouri
    Montana
    New Hampshire
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Vermont
    Virginia
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming

Spend your money there and after you get home, write to their state legislatures and tell them why you visited them as opposed to their less liberty-conscious neighbors.

Blessings,
    Bill

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Here is the memo and the [STRIKE]excuses[/STRIKE] reasons why they are not accepted any longer.

It looks like Texas, Missouri, & Wyoming got the ax as well.

Texas & Missouri because they now allow military and veterans who are 19 to obtain a license.
    Utah got it because they don't require shooting proficiency.
    Wyoming got it for both reasons.

MN DPS - 2015 Permit to Carry Reciprocity

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So as I understand this, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed so long as they are from an approved state?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Indiana still not making the cut because our laws aren't "substantially" like theirs, i.e. no training requirement here (thank God).

Of importance to many of us, including me, Utah was removed from the list so Utah permit holders, cross Minnesota off your list.

2015 Reciprocity Changes for Minnesota Carry Permit Holders

Utah Carry Permit No Longer Recognized By The State Of Minnesota

I read the "article", and the person says they want "Constitutional" carry..... THEN why worry about another states "training requirements" ?????

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm at a loss to understand how this change was perceived to be a "victory" in Minnesota?

Douche move if you ask me.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I'm at a loss to understand how this change was perceived to be a "victory" in Minnesota?

Douche move if you ask me.

They approved states, so they gained states. We aren't supposed to notice the ones they cut.

Ya' know, like math and budgets:

Current budget: $10,000
    Requested budget: $20,000
    Approved budget: $15,000

Congratulations, we cut the budget $5,000 :yesway:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Here is the memo and the [STRIKE]excuses[/STRIKE] reasons why they are not accepted any longer.

It looks like Texas, Missouri, & Wyoming got the ax as well.

Texas & Missouri because they now allow military and veterans who are 19 to obtain a license.
    Utah got it because they don't require shooting proficiency.
    Wyoming got it for both reasons.

MN DPS - 2015 Permit to Carry Reciprocity

unless something has changed South Dakota did not require a shooting proficiency test. I lived out there for several years and there licensing was even easier then Indiana.

edit: Looks like SD has added an enhanced license. That did not exist when I moved back in 2008. Real bummer since I have both an UT and a FL license in addition to our resident LTCH.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Minor nit: in Texas, it is 18 (not 19) if you are military or veteran. There are some other states that have reciprocity or otherwise recognize Texas CHLs for those 21 or above only. Minnesota could have done this as well, but apparently chose not to.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The least they could do after this nonsense is allow people from out of state to get MN permits.

I think they do but it requires actually going to MN to get the permit. Funny how a "pro gun" bill to make it easier to accept reciprocity resulted in States getting dropped. Seems like FL and UT licensing process is not appreciated the way we would like to think.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think they do but it requires actually going to MN to get the permit. Funny how a "pro gun" bill to make it easier to accept reciprocity resulted in States getting dropped. Seems like FL and UT licensing process is not appreciated the way we would like to think.

You are correct! I was just on the MN DPS web site and on my way back here to amend my message.

Too bad we didn't know this was coming. We could have gone there while our UT CFPs were still valid and taken the training course and applied at a sheriff's office. Then we'd have received our MN permits in the mail within 30 days. Oh, wait. We're not psychic.

Naturally, no response to my email. Perhaps they will choose to respond via USPS mail. I shall not hold my breath.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You are correct! I was just on the MN DPS web site and on my way back here to amend my message.

Too bad we didn't know this was coming. We could have gone there while our UT CFPs were still valid and taken the training course and applied at a sheriff's office. Then we'd have received our MN permits in the mail within 30 days. Oh, wait. We're not psychic.

Naturally, no response to my email. Perhaps they will choose to respond via USPS mail. I shall not hold my breath.

Good choice. You might turn somewhat purple-ish.... oh wait.....

Top Bottom