• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Today while dining with my family I noticed a sign near the ground, left of the main entry door. I've sent this notice to corporate.
    (I have a pic but unsure how to insert it)

"To whom it may concern,
    Today I brought my family to your restaurant on Day Rd. in Mishawaka, IN. We've dined at Carrabbas many times over the years and spent well over $1000. Carrabbas is one of our favorite restaurants.
    Today while entering the restaurant I noticed a sign near the ground, left of the main entry door. The sign states "It is illegal to carry a firearm, deadly weapon, or dangerous ordnance anywhere on these premises".

I wanted to inform your business that in the state of Indiana this sign has no weight and is not enforceable. It's not "illegal" to carry a firearm into your facility. If one has a valid Indiana License to Carry a Handgun it is lawful to carry a firearm onto your property.

Therefore I recommend the Mishawaka, IN establishment remove this sign. I look forward to your reply.

Regards,
    JD" (name removed)

Additionally the sign has a picture of a firearm with the red circle and line thru and more text at the bottom of the sign.
    "No person shall knowingly possess, have under the person's control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or danger ordnance onto these premises."

I've been to this location several times and have never seen this sign. I may talk with the mgr next time we dine in.

JD

To this date I've not received a reply from Carrabbas. I have a picture of the sign in jpg format but am unsure how to attach to this message. I can email it to anyone who wants it.

2nd Update: I've received a voice message from Carrabbas corporate wishing to discuss my email. I'll be contacting these folks next week and reporting back.

Last edited:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    They're completely welcome to post a sign saying they're not allowed, but it technically IS a lie to say that they're "illegal." Wonder how this will go. Keep us posted.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Sounds like they are making it sound as if they are quoting a law. Impersonating a governmental body? Tell them their ordnance ordinance is fake.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Well, I guess that means if they are robbed the lawful carrying LEO have to leave their firearms in their cars...purple implied.

Carry an old blackpowder musket or ball n cap (not a firearm by date) in a kydex holster OC and tell them to **** off :-)

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    I've only eaten at Carrabas once....not exactly a place I feel the need to visit again. The food wasn't great or terrible and the whole dining experience was forgettable. There are plenty of other places to eat in SB/Mishawaka area that offer the same type of food and atmosphere (without the anti gun crap their doors). I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if there is any news of them seeing the error of their ways and making a change to policy or if I'll have to stop in with one of those "no guns, no $" cards.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Just too many restaurants begging for my money to even give these folks another chanch...

Yep....and most of them are not handgun friendly.

better fire up the grill.

FWIW, I took the family there Saturday night, carried concealed and never gave it a second thought. Not only that, I went to Movies 16 on the south side of South Bend after dinner which also has a sign with a gun and a circle and line through it. Never gave that a second thought either.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Illegal, you say? Well aren't you just above the law, Carrabbuzz.

You should have taken a picture of the sign. I'm curious whether or not it looked "home made".

*Thinking the General Manager was frightened by someone that may have looked shady carrying a gun in there so they made that sign...

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I went to Toys R Us the other day and noticed a similar sign, positioned in a similar way (next to the door, about two feet off the ground).

Guess that keeps the would be robbers and murderers out of their establishment... ;)

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Yep....and most of them are not handgun friendly.

better fire up the grill.

FWIW, I took the family there Saturday night, carried concealed and never gave it a second thought. Not only that, I went to Movies 16 on the south side of South Bend after dinner which also has a sign with a gun and a circle and line through it. Never gave that a second thought either.

I've actually found that most of the restaurants in SB/Mishawaka are gun friendly. I've Open Carried at Red Robin, Red Lobster, IHOP, Hacienda, Chik-Fil-A, Texas Roadhouse, Logans Roadhouse, Steak and Shake, Olive Garden, Famous Daves, and BW3 just to name a few. I've never had a problem. The only place I've been asked to leave was Wings, Etc on Ireland/Ironwood, but that was about 8 years ago and things may have changed.

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    I've actually found that most of the restaurants in SB/Mishawaka are gun friendly. I've Open Carried at Red Robin, Red Lobster, IHOP, Hacienda, Chik-Fil-A, Texas Roadhouse, Logans Roadhouse, Steak and Shake, Olive Garden, Famous Daves, and BW3 just to name a few. I've never had a problem. The only place I've been asked to leave was Wings, Etc on Ireland/Ironwood, but that was about 8 years ago and things may have changed.

I second Hoosierdoods list in SB/Mish....I've open carried at these places as well...adding Bonefish, Hana Yori, Baranbys, Brunos, and Bar Louie to throw a couple more out there that I've never had problems with my OC'ing. I've been to Wings etc in Laporte and the one over at Ireland/Ironwood within the past year OC'ing without issue. They may have asked Hoosierdood to leave for fear his mug would scare other customers, not his scary firearm.

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    I just remembered a thread from a while ago....Wings etc does not bow to the anti gun crowd.

Originally Posted by Sureshot129
    Got an E-mail back from Wings ect. Robert Hensmann CFO of Wings ect.

"Thanks for your inquiry, Wings Etc. is happy to greet and serve all law-abiding guests."

Robert W. Hensmann
    Wings Etc. Inc.
    Chief Financial Officer
    rhensmann@wingsetc.net
    P- 260-402-6048
    F- 260-818-2034

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    They all seem to put these signs low to the ground, mabey they have had problems with children shooting up the place, or mabey we have have a gang of dwarfs on the loose around here?
    I'm not very tall, mabey after they saw me they started posting these signs.:flasher:
    Really though, I wasn't very impressed with the food and IMO your money would be better spent else where anyway. Thanks for the notification though, now I know forsure.

I think I need some starbucks and I don't even like coffee. ;)

Top Bottom