• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    So I recently had a site advertiser install a set of trijicon HD sites on my glock 26 and noticed when I returned home this evening that the front site is gone! For some reason I looked and noticed it was gone.
    The gun was shot once (2) mags since I had them installed and it has been in the holster the rest of the time.

What are my options? I am going to wait until the shop opens tomorrow to see what they say. Maybe I will get lucky?

Hate to waste $150 on sites for a carry pistol and not have a front sight.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Installing a Glock front sight is simple, just thread the thing on, they most likely didn't tighten it up enough.
    $150 for the sight and installation is pretty expensive, even for trijicon's!!

The shop should take care of you at that price!

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Installing a Glock front sight is simple, just thread the thing on, they most likely didn't tighten it up enough.

Lock Tite. I had a front sight come loose on a glock 17, and a little blue lock tite on the threads took care of the issue. Just make sure to let the lock tite set before shooting.

I am not 100% sure that this would meet "Glock armorer standard" per se, but it worked for me.

As for the shop, hopefully they can help you out.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Lock Tite. I had a front sight come loose on a glock 17, and a little blue lock tite on the threads took care of the issue. Just make sure to let the lock tite set before shooting.

I am not 100% sure that this would meet "Glock armorer standard" per se, but it worked for me.

When I have had night sights installed on Glocks, most of which I have had done at Bradis, by Mark, I believe he has always mentioned using some Loc Tite. On my last one, he specifically told me to wait to shoot it, to let the Loc Tite set properly.

One set of Mepro's I had installed elsewhere, and the front sight flew off during shooting and I was luckily able to find it. That gun did not have Loc Tite used (the first time).

As others have posted, Loc Tite is the answer.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    As previously stated, its gotta have Loke Tite. Several buddies and I found in our G34 production guns that Blue Loke Tite is good for about 10,000 rounds before it starts to loosen up. By coincidence we all had front sights come loose and all around the same round count. If its a carry gun, just use the Blue and check it once a year when you do a complete tear down. That does suck though and hopefully the shop makes it right. Its a simple job and I suspect the smith who did it will be apologetic. If you choose to do it yourself in the future, just remember to first degrease the screw with brake cleaner or fingernail polish remover and then wait for the Loke Tite to dry properly before carrying/shooting it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I always loc tite the front sight screw when I install sights and to this point in time I don't know of a failure.. Good luck at the shop.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    So I recently had a site advertiser install a set of trijicon HD sites on my glock 26 and noticed when I returned home this evening that the front site is gone! For some reason I looked and noticed it was gone.
    The gun was shot once (2) mags since I had them installed and it has been in the holster the rest of the time.

What are my options? I am going to wait until the shop opens tomorrow to see what they say. Maybe I will get lucky?

Hate to waste $150 on sites for a carry pistol and not have a front sight.
    I'd try to find the front sight. Definitely contact the installer. I have used blue Loctite for decades on every screw on various firearms and firearm accessories. It does have to be allowed to cure.

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    Just got off the phone with the shop and they were very apologetic. Since it is Sunday he asked me to call back tomorrow afternoon after he has had a chance to contact trijicon. Said they would do whatever they could to make it right so keeping my fingers crossed.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I have installed my own night sights, using Lock Tite is a cheap insurance. Had a few that never loosened, and also saw a sight or two fly down the range. I owned a Springfield 1911 that the rear sight grew wings and disappeared brand new out of the box. It isn't pretty, but a drop of it in the spot does help. I used a toothpick to spread it.
    Hope the shop will help you. Things happen.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana

I did my Glock 27 the same way, several hundred rounds later the front site is still there. Sounds like the OP's installer forgot the locktite.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana

Trijicon HD's are more expensive than standard trijicons. All of my guns except 2 have them. And that's just because they already came with night sights. If it was standard sights they would have HD's too

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Loctite should be applied when installing a new set of metal sites on the glock. Also, if you switch sights after that make sure you let the person know that there is loctite on the front sight so they know to heat it up before fighting with it.

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    Not quite an update: talked with the shop and no reply back from trijicon. How long is acceptable before something is done?
    I have another carry pistol so I'm not left without an option, just curious what a normal turnaround time should be.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not quite an update: talked with the shop and no reply back from trijicon. How long is acceptable before something is done?
    I have another carry pistol so I'm not left without an option, just curious what a normal turnaround time should be.

I'm not even sure why Trijicon is involved. Unless the sight broke (sight separated from post), or the vial is dead, etc I doubt their warranty kicks in.

Sounds like a bad install to me, which I'm guessing Trijcon would not cover. Maybe they will, but from the info we have, basically sounds like the shop is trying to get Trijicon to cover something they did incorrectly (unless they did LocTite the sight, and as previously stated, there is some indication that the sight itself is at fault due to poor workmanship, manufacturing defect, etc).

Last edited:

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    I'm not even sure why Trijicon is involved. Unless the sight broke (sight separated from post), or the vial is dead, etc I doubt their warranty kicks in.

Sounds like a bad install to me, which I'm guessing Trijcon would not cover. Maybe they will, but basically sounds like the shop is trying to get Trijicon to cover something they did incorrectly (unless they did LocTite the sight, and as previously stated, there is some indication that the sight itself is at fault due to poor workmanship, manufacturing defect, etc).

This is my thinking as well but I figured maybe there are some extenuating circumstances I don't know about. As this is my first glock and the first gun I have had sights installed on I didn't know if this was a common occurrence or not. I have had great experiences with this shop previously so am hopeful things work out.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Loctite should be applied when installing a new set of metal sites on the glock. Also, if you switch sights after that make sure you let the person know that there is loctite on the front sight so they know to heat it up before fighting with it.

A little "HINT" when using LocTite....Clean off the oil on all contacted parts so the LocTite can stick and do it's job. Some of the newer oils will help dissolve the Loctite so make sure the Loctite has set up properly before using and/or exposing to cleaners and oils.
    I just had a BCM ambi safety on my 6920 screw come loose after 7 months install. With Blue LocTite. It's not fool proof but it helps.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

Not to dispute you, but BLUE loctite, should not need heat .....

Top Bottom