• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Republican Senator Mitch McConnell wants to discard the constitutional mandate of the House of Representatives setting the budget of the United States. He wants the President to have concentrated power to create his own budget for the whole country.

McConnell says Obama should be allowed to raise the debt limit
    The leader, Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, said a bipartisan budget-cutting deal is probably out of reach, making it unlikely that Republicans would approve an increase in the government’s debt limit by Aug. 2. To prevent default, he proposed that Congress in effect empower Mr. Obama to raise the government’s borrowing limit without its prior approval of offsetting cuts in spending.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    This is why those in the Republican Party bear just as much watching as those in the Democratic Party. Its so clearly unconstitutional that I can't believe he suggested it. This is why I don't support a Balanced Budget Amendment like some in Washington, D.C. are calling for. If they don't follow the US Constitution now as it is written, what good will a BBA do?

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Political move, just like the Kenyan's scare tactic of announcing that next months Social Security checks might not be forth coming.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Just imagine if that passed....an the prez had control....maybe thats what the (R) want so when the next prez a (R) takes office he can really run it up....its all about power "when we are in control". Looks like we still need to vote out more, the old breed is still killing our nation.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Political move, just like the Kenyan's scare tactic of announcing that next months Social Security checks might not be forth coming.

What's the objective? Scare off more Republicans? I wouldn't be amused if I were in his district.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    It's all politic'n, he wants the blame to fall directly onto Obama and the Democrats come election time.
    I'm all for eliminating the debt, reducing spending and having a balanced budget. I think almost everyone is. What we're seeing now in Washington is window dressing. Neither party or branch of government is willing to actually do the heavy lifting required to fix this problem. It is all about appeasing the party base so the politicians can remain in power.

The debt is caused by Congress mandating the executive branch to pay for programs, etc.. While we'd like to lay all this on Obama, money only gets appropriated by Congress. To be realistic, Obama has spent some large somes, but that isn't the primary cause for the current debt. We are now paying for previous presidential programs. Obama's debt is yet to come.

Not raising the debt is like a runaway train and the engineer knows the track ends in a few miles. Management is debating on whether or not to extend the tracks. We are all passengers on the train. One would think than management would extend the track enough to allow the train to slow down to a manageable speed. The debt ceiling has been known by everyone all along, yet Congress has failed to slow the train.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    McConnell is Putting Politics Ahead of What Should Be Done

Shame on the Politically Motivated McConnell Plan to Hike Borrowing With No Spending CutsThe Foundry: Conservative Policy News Blog from The Heritage Foundation

McConnell has hopelessly mismanaged this issue and the people of Kentucky have a decision to make. I do understand his reasoning but his reasoning is flawed. Everyone who understands the trends knows that 2012 is going to be an economic disaster unlike any since 1929. McConnell fears that, if the GOP doesn't allow a "debt ceiling" increase, Barack Hussein, the Dems, and the liberal media, will work to paint it as THE cause for the economic meltdown. I disagree. The American people are by and large stupid but not that stupid. Whoever resides in the WH is going to be seen as the owner of the crisis.

The best thing the GOP can do is follow Cantor's leadership. No deal, none whatsoever, that includes tax increases of any kind and that does not include a commitment to vote on a BBA by October 1 and to send it to the states by the end of the year. We have Barack Hussein and the libs right where we want them. McConnell's plan literally lets them off the hook.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Barack Hussein - Chicago Gutter Politics at its Finest

What do you mean not that stupid? :dunno:

We're counting on a people who lined up to vote for a devoted Marxist to have seen the light in 4 years so that they won't make the same mistake again. In 2008, they could be excused for being politically ignorant. No such forgiveness will exist in 2012.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    We're counting on a people who lined up to vote for a devoted Marxist to have seen the light in 4 years so that they won't make the same mistake again. In 2008, they could be excused for being politically ignorant. No such forgiveness will exist in 2012.

God knows, I hope you are right. But then again, I don't have the audacity of hope.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Next week Mitch McConnell and Harry Reid are going to unveil a bipartisan plan to solve the 'crisis.' Watch out for that one.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Republican Senator Mitch McConnell wants to discard the constitutional mandate of the House of Representatives setting the budget of the United States. He wants the President to have concentrated power to create his own budget for the whole country.

I'm lost. Where exactly does the Constitution mandate the House of Representatives set the budget of the United States?

Shame on the Politically Motivated McConnell Plan to Hike Borrowing With No Spending CutsThe Foundry: Conservative Policy News Blog from The Heritage Foundation

McConnell has hopelessly mismanaged this issue and the people of Kentucky have a decision to make. I do understand his reasoning but his reasoning is flawed. Everyone who understands the trends knows that 2012 is going to be an economic disaster unlike any since 1929. McConnell fears that, if the GOP doesn't allow a "debt ceiling" increase, Barack Hussein, the Dems, and the liberal media, will work to paint it as THE cause for the economic meltdown. I disagree. The American people are by and large stupid but not that stupid. Whoever resides in the WH is going to be seen as the owner of the crisis.

The best thing the GOP can do is follow Cantor's leadership. No deal, none whatsoever, that includes tax increases of any kind and that does not include a commitment to vote on a BBA by October 1 and to send it to the states by the end of the year. We have Barack Hussein and the libs right where we want them. McConnell's plan literally lets them off the hook.

Yeah, they are that stupid. If they weren't they would know that the President can't spend one red cent unless it is appropriated by Congress.

Last edited:

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I'm lost. Where exactly does the Constitution mandate the House of Representatives set the budget of the United States?...

Not exactly the budget, but all bills with respect to revenues must originate in the House of Representatives

Article I, Section VII

All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    This from a bumper sticker quote:
    When it's all over, we can only HOPE we have some CHANGE :twocents: left.

Last edited:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    include a commitment to vote on a BBA by October 1 and to send it to the states by the end of the year.

The Balanced Budget Ammendment is a joke in itself. What... the budget isn't balanced, well just raise taxes! There we go, NOW it's balanced.

The other thing that scares me is actually "opening up" the Constitution for ammendments with the bunch in Washington, AND the States. THAT could be a MAJOR mistake.

Top Bottom