Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Gee, what's next?

124wyrr.jpg

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Good, they are not their friends. They are authority figures. They are paid by the community to teach not coddle.

+1 I have no issues with this at all, in fact I would find it kind of disturbing if my child was on facebook with their teacher, at least while they are their teacher.

I know plenty of people my age (30) who are friends with their old teachers, no issues with that. But there is an professional relations with a teacher/student, not a friendly one.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    We can not pick andchoose which parts of the constitution we support, it is an all or nothing proposition, So while I feel it's a bad idea for teachers to friend students, I have to fully support their right to do so.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I believe that it's FINE for the school to set a policy (i.e. don't do this or we'll fire you...) They after all, are the employer. That said, it's wrong for the .gov to do it.

Hmmmm... maybe the .gov shouldn't be their employer???? :D

Private/Home schools - novel concept, that.....

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I believe that it's FINE for the school to set a policy (i.e. don't do this or we'll fire you...) They after all, are the employer. That said, it's wrong for the .gov to do it.

Hmmmm... maybe the .gov shouldn't be their employer???? :D

Private/Home schools - novel concept, that.....

Should your boss be able to tell you you can't own a firearm? Who people socialize with on their own time should not be regulated by thier jobs.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Should your boss be able to tell you you can't own a firearm? Who people socialize with on their own time should not be regulated by thier jobs.
    Only regulated by the PARENTS. If certain teachers wanted to friend my kids on a site like that I would be ok with it. I get to choose. My kids have no rights other than what I grant them

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, if one of your students also attends your church, then the State can prevent you from communicating with them via Facebook?

They can't prevent you from using email, SMS, telephone, postcards, or (gasp!) face-to-face, so how can they prevent Facebook?

I would prefer that a teacher "friends" my kid. I'd rather they have several "trusted" adult friends in addition to their peers. Helps keep tabs on them!

Side note: if you don't trust your kid's teacher, and the school/State doesn't trust their employees, then you have problems much larger than Facebook.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Good, they are not their friends. They are authority figures. They are paid by the community to teach not coddle.

+1 I have no issues with this at all, in fact I would find it kind of disturbing if my child was on facebook with their teacher, at least while they are their teacher.

Guys.. there are more amendments in the constitution besides the 2nd. :noway:

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    We can not pick andchoose which parts of the constitution we support, it is an all or nothing proposition, So while I feel it's a bad idea for teachers to friend students, I have to fully support their right to do so.

They are not doing anything against the constitution. The teachers have every legal right to friend a child on facebook, that has not changed. They will not face prosecution. They just may lose their job. Nowhere in the constitution does it mention that you have the right to keep your job.

This is not a constitutional issue. It is an issue of what is an appropriate relationship of a person in power to have with a minor.

Not even close to the same, not in the same stratosphere.

Your situation is talking about co-workers who are both adults discussing their own personal hobbies. The fact that one is the boss is more or less irrelevant since the activity the employee engages in has nothing to do with business what so ever. The boss certianly can tell the employee he cannot carry at work.

The situation in this article is an adult in a place of power, not only in power, but one that is in a position to influence the child. I would not allow my kid to be facebook friends with his teacher, its just inappropriate imo.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    So a teenager goes to church or is on the same shooting team as one of their teachers. You contend that the place of employment has the right to restrict an adult from fraternizing with someone based on a business relationship.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Again, not a free speech issue. They have the legal right to talk with the kids. Nowhere does it say in the constitution that you get to keep your job. They are different.

So do you also believe that it would be OK for your employer to tell you you can not be a Christian or own a weapon? This follows the same logic

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Ok, so scout masters should friend their scouts. Coaches - nope. No music teachers and students - can we go on. How about new age restrictions on who can talk to who?

Jiminy Cricket - PARENTS need to watch and monitor their kids. "For the children" = uninvolved/lazy parents. Something inappropriate - fire the SOB but that kids can't be friends/talk to/ask advice or opinions from those they look up to because "someone" might do/say "something". Good gravy!

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I wasn't friends with any of my teachers on facebook until after I graduated. I was friends with the campus minister on facebook, but there was a much more personal relationship there than with any teachers.

Top Bottom