• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBigTim

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My grandfather gave me a model 1917 eddystone enfield. Over all its inpretty good shape but it has some rust on the end of the barrel and a little onthe bolt and receiver.

What is the best way to clean it up? I would like to shoot it and maybe evenhunt with it someday (not in this state unfortunately)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks!

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    i had an 8mm mauser that was is pretty bad shape. rust and pits. i cleaned all the rust off of it and bought some durafill and black duracoat and fixed that bad boy right up. its held up strong and looks great. maybe you would want to go that route.

jimbob69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    That's a fine gift from your grandfather. The less you do to it the better from a collectable standpoint. Applying rust remover only to the rust then thouch it up with cold blue. Then keep a thin coat of rust preventitive on it. leave the stock as is, it looks great. The 1917 can be a fine shooter just the way it is. They are very well made and very reliable.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    The less you do to it the better from a collectable standpoint. Applying rust remover only to the rust then thouch it up with cold blue.

most of those are re-arsenaled mix-masters though, if that is the case, doing a good repark job is not going to hurt any collector value and will last another 100 years if taken care of.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    INDY Gunworks posted a very detailed How To Clean Old Guns thread that will help you a lot. If I weren't doing several things right now I'd look it up for you. I have an all matching Winchester 1917 and they are very good rifles.

Top Bottom