• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    I have a Marlin 60 that I got from my grandfather. It won't cycle and has metal shavings in the bolt area. I'm not much of a gun tech outside of my handguns and AR.
    I know they are fairly inexpensive so maybe not even worth taking to a gunsmith?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a Marlin 60 that I got from my grandfather. It won't cycle and has metal shavings in the bolt area. I'm not much of a gun tech outside of my handguns and AR.
    I know they are fairly inexpensive so maybe not even worth taking to a gunsmith?

Take it down and give it a spik & span clean up. Inspect to see what is damaged. Decide from there. Shavings are most likely locking it up.
    Parts might be available....might not.

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    I had it apart and can see there are a few parts scored up pretty bad, cleaned it all up but it still won't function. I think I'm going to find a gunsmith around here and drop it off tomorrow.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I'm in Jeffersonville, I have a newer model 60 I have had apart several times. If you want to bring it over I'll take a look at it and maybe be able to point you in the right direction.

Most parts are readily available for these. Lifter springs are known to wear out as well as feed throats, which could be causing you issues. Hard to tell sight unseen.

These forums are also very helpful:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=217

Last edited:

d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    you may be suprised they are not very hard to work on or heck you could always just buy a new lower assembly off ebay for 35-40 bucks and just screw it back together I have one I had to take apart and replace a couple parts took me 6 hours to put back together the 1st time but i can take it completely down and put it back together in 20 minutes now just make sure you know if its the old style or the new style if you buy the lower together.

Could not part with mine either my grandfather gave it to my dad in the late 70s and he gave it to me

scrub buck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    usa
    I say you get it back in working order so you can plink with it from time to time. Sounds like you've got some sound advice, and offers to fix er up. Good luck.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    A very common problem on the 60 is the part that has the feed-ramps built into it. It performs multiple functions but in general it accepts the round from the tube and helps feed it. This part is made of die-cast zinc IIRC and it wears very quickly. I've done a couple of them before but most people decided it's not worth it. In this case, it is likely worth it to you. The last time I worked on one the part was ~$30. If that is the part causing you problems it's not terribly hard to replace...

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    Im anxious to hear what you get back. I too have an old Model 60 that belonged to my grandfather. I thought I could fix myself. NOPE. I've taken it apart and put it back together, never well enough to get it to fit back into the receiver so whatever you end up doing, I and curious to hear about. Good luck.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    A very common problem on the 60 is the part that has the feed-ramps built into it. It performs multiple functions but in general it accepts the round from the tube and helps feed it. This part is made of die-cast zinc IIRC and it wears very quickly. I've done a couple of them before but most people decided it's not worth it. In this case, it is likely worth it to you. The last time I worked on one the part was ~$30. If that is the part causing you problems it's not terribly hard to replace...

I agree, this is definitely one of the biggest culprits in older M60's. But it's an easy fix!

Top Bottom