• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    I recently came in contact with a Model 66 Smith and Wesson and I was wondering the best way to polish out the slight scratches. I would like to make this gun look like new if I can or at least make it look a lot better.

Sonney

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Mother's Mag/Metal polish will do wonders and is not abrasive. It is available in a small container at Wal-Mart for $5.00. Picked this info up from the S&W forum. Good luck.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I recently came in contact with a Model 66 Smith and Wesson and I was wondering the best way to polish out the slight scratches. I would like to make this gun look like new if I can or at least make it look a lot better.

Sonney

Ahh, you picked up a classic. Pictures please!!

Smith& W

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 4, 2015
    Indpls.
    I have great success with Sunshine polishing cloths. you can order online. They are actually sold as jewelry cleaners but work excellent on stainless and blue guns.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Flitz works well in my opinion. Just don't get carried away with it, like ALL polishes it is an abrasive. If this is the Matte finish you may want to just live with them. Just about any attempt to polish out the scratches will also polish out the matte finish of the surrounding area.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Agreed! I happened upon one of these gems in a shop a few years ago and my 66 is still at the top of my favorite gun list. Congrats!

I inherited mine from my father, he bought it in 74 I think. It is a great gun. I did put some custom wood grips on it. There is a fella in Iowa that makes great grips for em.

On edit: Here is the addy for Ahrends Grips: http://www.ahrendsgripsusa.com/retro.htm

Last edited:

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I bought one in the very early 80s and love it still. Great gun! I can't remember the name of the polish that I used on it and after about 8 moves, can't find it either. It came in a tube kind of like toothpaste. Bet that sure helps.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I have used a pad designed to clean class oven tops. Afterwords I couldn't tell the blemish was ever there. Remember, start light and increase pressure slowly as needed.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    yeah my father in law has a model 66 with a 3inch barrel. It is very nice! I'm definitely first in line to buy it... that is if he ever sells it. Quite smooth.

You got a very high quality revolver there.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My dad has a Model 66 he got a couple years ago. Box and all. Excellent condition and excellent shooter.

:+1: for using Mother's on it. They make good stuff.:twocents:

Top Bottom