• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeHoncho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2019
    Laurel
    I know there is a muzzleloader thread but it doesn't really get a lot of traction. Feel free to move if necessary.

My question, I'm looking at purchasing a side lock percussion cap muzzleloader for "primitive muzzleloader" hunts. Currently, my only muzzleloader is a TC Encore that I've had for over a decade and haven't really shopped lately.

Would like to use it for future hunts; either draw hunts in Indiana or possibly a trip out west in the future.

Any recommendations or real world experiences would be great. Thank you.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    A TC Hawken, .50. Maybe replace the lock with the L&R from Track, and either use the original barrel (1-48"), or get a Green Mountain made up in a faster twist (1-24" to 1-28").

Rear aperture sight is a good idea. The Lyman 57SML is okay, but the windage mechanism is kinda delicate, and do NOT put a heavier aperture on it.

Williams makes one, but it's certainly not field-adjustable for range. I have no experience.

If I had continued with it, I was going to machine an adapter for a British RPA rear sight.

Tang flippy sights are available, but for any kind of non-deliberate shooting, they can present trouble. Buffalo arms is the place to look at the options.

Front Fiber sights are very popular, but because of their size and flare (esp. if you have an incorrected astigmatism), you are basically capped at 100 yards before the whole deer is obscured behind the bead.

BEST option for a front iron, for precision, remains a black patridge blade...but they are hell to see at dusk.
    Ramrod replacement with a NON-"olde hickory" option is a VERY good idea if you'll be pushing hard sabots in cold weather. I can confirm that the hickory one will go damn near through your hand when you get hasty and break it on a cold December morning.

Look into using a Mag Spark 209 adapter, with or without a Small Rifle Vari-Flame system. The #11 CCI Magnums are fine, but more flame is generally not a bad idea. BH 209 CAN be ignited in a sidelock, for example.

AMPCO nipples, for the 11s. TC is 1/4-28. Replace when needed; it's a wear component...gauge the flashhole and get familiar with a new one, and check yours every time you clean.

If you are serious about KILLING with one of these, you'll be setting yourself up to use modern conicals, either bore-sized like the THOR, or sabot options which abound. 250-300 grain, 100-110 gr charge equivalent. NOT more. Less, if you try BH209. Stocks do crack.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    TC made a hunting peep for the tang, but they be getting pricey (165 bucks or more).
    Had one on my Hawken Silver Elite .50 when I shot my avatar deer at 98 yards.

BTW, my rig liked the 275gr Maxi Hunters.
    Not Maxi ball, Maxi Hunter.

Of course those no longer made.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    TC made a hunting peep for the tang, but they be getting pricey (165 bucks or more).
    Had one on my Hawken Silver Elite .50 when I shot my avatar deer at 98 yards.

BTW, my rig liked the 275gr Maxi Hunters.
    Not Maxi ball, Maxi Hunter.

Of course those no longer made.
    Thought you'd be along here, soon, Mr. Hookeye.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I like my Lyman Great Plains Hunter. Traditions and Investarm make good rifles too. Pedrrsoli has some real nice percussion guns but they’re up close to 1k clams.

If you can find a clean TC Hawken it’ll be a good gun. Slower twist rate for patches round balls or the faster twist for sabots and conical.

MikeHoncho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2019
    Laurel
    I like my Lyman Great Plains Hunter. Traditions and Investarm make good rifles too. Pedrrsoli has some real nice percussion guns but they’re up close to 1k clams.

If you can find a clean TC Hawken it’ll be a good gun. Slower twist rate for patches round balls or the faster twist for sabots and conical.
    What would be the ideal twist rate? It would be meant for critters.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    1 in 48 has done well for me, roundball or conical.
    Had a target shot at 100 yds. 3 in a cloverleaf in the X. Iron sights benched ( roundball ).

TC New Englander. That gun shot vertical stringing at 50 yards, when new. After 50 or so roundball shots it settled down.

Target was lost in one of my moves

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Depends on what you want to shoot. A patched round ball has killed more critters over the years than the rest combined. My Lyman is 1 in 32, I believe. I use conical and sabots for deer.
    I have my doubts about that statement but if accurate, then it is also likely that round balls have lost far more wounded animals that were never recovered as well.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I like roundball well enough
    Theyve shot well for me (Hornady swaged) and their lighter weight means less recoil.
    Still ran my .50 cals at 100gr FFg though.
    They kill deer, but expect them to go a little ways before expiring.

Like the 275gr Maxihunter better. Of course no longer made.

Sidehammers are cool, esp if you watched old mountain man movies.

However if one just wants a killing machine, a scoped inline is the ticket.

OId and cranky now, came to dislike BP and sidehammers some time back. Still have one.
    But my dislike of BP is now so great I won't buy an inline.

I hope to tag out before MZ season.

Top Bottom