• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • InRon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    My son wants a Mosin and appreciates the historical value. I've noticed many are in poor shape cosmetically. We are considering finding a "collectable" version and taking a cosmetically "crappy" version and putting it in a modern stock. This seems to be a way to get a reasonably decent rifle at a fairly low price. Anyone done this and been happy with the result?

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I've done a m44 in a monte carlo stock. Cut the barrel right before the bayonet and had a professional recrown and also weld a flash suppressor on. As if the m44 wasn't loud enough before, my lord, it required double ear protection with the muzzle break, with a heart stopping shockwave everytime it was fired lol. Added a side bent bolt to clear the scope also. Then a sight mount with rail that replaced the stock rear flip up, and a budged NcStar 4x12x50 scope... Stay away from the cheap stuff with high recoil rifles...they'll be unzeroable in 3 shots lol.

dragun762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    I wasgoing to do it to my mosin but discovered by the time you get the gun a stock a bent bolt and a scope mount you might as well pick up a 300$ savage at walmart.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've got a 91/30 that I've added a pistol grip, rubber shoulder pad, long eye releif scope, and a bipod to. The owner before me cut the stock down, sanded the varnish off and sprayed a coating of bed liner over the entire stock. I'm waiting for the new Arch Angel Mosin Nagant stock to come out before I get an aftermarket stock. The Arch Angel stock uses detachable magazines but I will wait for a good review before buying one.

I'm ok messing with my 91/30 since someone has already done a number on it but if you find a rarer and nicer Mosin Nagant I wouldn't mess with it much at all.

Here's a picture of my 91/30 before I added the pistol grip. Sorry for the bad picture.
    picture.php

Last edited:

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    My son is currently doing this, cut it down to 22" and added a Boyds thumbhole stock. I must admit it is a sharp looking gun and kicks like a mule.

happyfiero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Campbellsburg IN.
    hi
    The best part of a Mosin is cost
    91/30 , spam can = cost 230 dollars thats a lot of fun for the money !
    oR

New stock 150
    cut crown 75
    replace sight 25
    new trigger 100
    bent bolt 75
    another 400 dollars + 91/30 , spam can = cost 600 dollars
    still no scope mount ?
    My sons and I, built a fine mosin I have about 600 in it . was a fun project
    38d88db9-94d0-46c0-b972-090a0ceae5a4_zps0172c29c.jpg

good luck

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    When comparing the money you put into a Mosin Vs. "just buy something else"...be sure to consider that the cost of shooting the Mosin is going to REMAIN low long after the build is over.

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    2cool9031.. where'd you get those metallic looking grips? Nice collection.

I do all my own modifying. Cut and crowned the barrel down to 22" and threaded it. Added a muzzle brake, Redid the stock, removed the rear sight and installed a 3/8" dovetail weaver mount and pinned it. Put on a LER scope. Reworked the trigger by installing a ball bearing set-up for a way smoother pull. Installed my own custom bent bolt. Core-drilled a 7/8" hole into the butt stock and installed a weight and spring system to further reduce recoil. Added a bipod mount and sling... a few little extras here and there. The only cost I incurred was what was spent for the stuff. Lots of fun I tell you.

gopwins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    I don't modify my Mosins. I leave them original. These are old rugged battle implements and to sissy them up with modern plastic Barbie accessories seems like an abomination.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    2cool9031.. where'd you get those metallic looking grips? Nice collection.

I do all my own modifying. Cut and crowned the barrel down to 22" and threaded it. Added a muzzle brake, Redid the stock, removed the rear sight and installed a 3/8" dovetail weaver mount and pinned it. Put on a LER scope. Reworked the trigger by installing a ball bearing set-up for a way smoother pull. Installed my own custom bent bolt. Core-drilled a 7/8" hole into the butt stock and installed a weight and spring system to further reduce recoil. Added a bipod mount and sling... a few little extras here and there. The only cost I incurred was what was spent for the stuff. Lots of fun I tell you.

I am glad to see someone else is trying to take the Mosin to it's limits. I machined the grips out of solid pieces of aluminum. The black grips are AK scar grips. I made my own bolt handles,flash suppressors, flash hiders etc. One of the Mosins pictured has a holograghic sight and a laser. If you look in my album...other stuff you will see some pictures. I built about 12 Mosins...sold some and traded some.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I still have lots of parts left if I should decide to built a few more. Not sure where to take the Mosin from here.

Top Bottom