• Poll closed .

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a Sig Scorpion 1911 that I use as a nightstand gun and I've been toying with the idea of tweaking it a bit. I have other 1911s that I've modified successfully over the years and the results have always been an improvement over the gun I started with. But, those have all been somewhat standard 1911s and not a factory 'themed' gun. I'm going to do one of the mods regardless of any advice otherwise and that will be to replace the long, flat trigger with a short, adjustable curved trigger. I like short triggers and that mod is totally reversible.

Beyond that, I'm thinking of either a refinish and grip changes. The G10 grips the Scorpion ship with are very aggressive and are quite nice, except for the built in mag well. I don't like mag wells in general and prefer a slightly beveled mag opening in the frame without the added grip extension the mag well requires. Part of my wants to just cut the grips and MSH down to normal specs and call it done. Then I think that once I do that, it's no longer a Scorpion and I might as well go ahead with a full refinish to either black or dark OD Cerakote.

What does the INGO brain trust think? Should a themed 1911 stay original or is it just another 1911 that should be fit to the users needs even if it ceases to be the originally themed configuration?

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    It is your pistol, if you don't like it then you can sell it or you can modify it to your liking. If you think you will get more joy out of it by modifying it then that is the route to go. If you want to sell it or trade it for another gun then go that route. I would modify it.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I voted what I MYSELF would do, which is leave a factory themed gun alone, and get one thats not so special, to trick out. Of course, that doesn't matter, your looking to make yourself happy, do what you want.

This is no different to me, than when I see someone "sporterize" a milsurp, or build a rock crawler out of a perfectly good donor vehicle, with no real damage to the parts they cut off. Seems like a serious waste to me, and makes more sense to start either from scratch, or with something that isnt especially special. lol

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    How many rounds have you fired? The glory of the 1911 is that you can modify what you want based on your shooting experience. It's counter productive to make a mod that offers little, no improvement or worse, adds detriment to your shooting.

Too many people snapping up a gun, slathering it in parts and then finding out the parts they added offer little to their particular needs.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This gun only has about 500 or fewer rounds through it so far. I've put thousands of rounds through my other 1911s over the years, so I've come to be a bit particular in how I like them set up. Right now, I'm leaning towards swapping the trigger for a short solid trigger with over travel adjustment, swapping the G10 grips for plain black rubber and the MSH for a flat checkered one. The only other thing might be to swap in a flat bottom FPS from EGW. I recently fit them to my Delta Elite and Remington R1S and they do make a big difference.

If I go that route, I can always toss the stock parts back on if I ever want to sell it or return it to Scorpion specs.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have avoided this thread until now for obvious reasons. A themed gun is OK until you want to change the theme. It is your gun, do as you will.
    I would have it spread out on the bench like a heart transplant patient but that is just me. Keep the original pieces and make it as you want it. That is the beauty of the platform....so receptive to change.......:)

I personally like the grip/mag-well combo as I have large hands. The extra length gives me more to get a-hold of and I do not have to totally concentrate on a mag change. If I can not hit the hole provided by a set of Archangel's then I need to go with a wheel gun.

Top Bottom