• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigjon07

Plinker
    Sep 14, 2011
    I have been having some problems with the reliability of my traditional muzzleloader. Mostly because I was trying to use powder pellets. they obviously werent designed for the traditional muleloader. So I went on the hunt for a better nipple to get more spark so that i could continue to use the pellets. I bought a conversion nipple that was the same width and thread spacing but had a brain lapse about the depth. It is definitly a bigger hole but it is too long for my rifle. I was conteplationg cutting the bas of the nipple down to the depth needed? Or does anyone have any better idiea? I realy like the convenience of the pellets but dont want to buy an inline? Thanks for your help!

steif

Sharpshooter
    Feb 8, 2009
    nipple

Hi,
    You didn't mention what gun you have, but there are nipples you can get to use different caps on a traditional rifle.
    Dixie gun works sells a nipple to use a musket size cap on a T/C rifle, and i'm sure that there are many others as well. I have seen a nipple that uses a small rifle primer instead of a cap.

I assume that you want to get away from using loose powder, you can always use a few grains of loose powder before you load the pellets in, kind of like a primer for the pellet.

I guess I should answer your question..lol.. As long as the threads are fully engaged when you remove some material from the base of the nipple it should be fine.
    Did you check it by screwing it in all the way till it bottoms out? When you do so, if the hammer will strike it squarely, I think I would use it as is, if it fires the rifle. Some rifles when the nipple bottoms out blocks the flash hole and will not be usable.
    As long as the threads are the same size and they fully engage in the rifle that is, I have seen quite a few nipples blown out because of poor fitting, it's not too pleasant at all.

Last edited:

builder_one

Plinker
    Sep 21, 2010
    I also had some problems igniting pellets out of a T/C White Mountain Carbine with #11 caps, I just dumped about 3 grains or so of loose Pyrodex down the barrel prior to dropping in the pellets, it worked perfectly. I did however purchase a musket cap nipple from T/C which I haven't got to try out yet, I'm guessing it would provide a substantially larger flame which would ignite the pellets without the need of the loose powder.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I think you are trying to say a Traditions muzzleloader if you are, I think you are now using the #11 primer cap on your muzzleloader. I have one of these muzzleloaders & had a bit of a problem with the delay in firing with the Pyrodex triple seven pellets. It seams the Triple Seven is not to be used with the #11 primers it will cause a bad delay.
    You need to use the Hodgdon Pyrodex pellets and load them with the black end first.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...powder-substitute-50-caliber-50-grain-pellets
    This helps the ignition from the #11 primers. If you have bought a big box of the triple seven pellets (like I did) you can load one of the Hodgdon Pyrodex pellets black end down then load one or two of the triple seven pellets. It will fire just the same as if you had all of them all Hodgdon Pyrodex pellets without a delay.
    If you need a owner's manual for your firearm you can download one here free.

Muzzleloaders by Traditions Firearms |

Bigjon07

Plinker
    Sep 14, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I really like using the pellets and I will definatly adjust my habbits on using loose powder to help ignite better. I will probably attempt to cut that nipple down. I have a traditional (Side Cap).

Thanks again!

Top Bottom