Moe or CTR magpul stock for my stripped lower?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    I picked up a new stripped spikes lower at what seems like a reasonable price considering how insane everything is right now. I think I am going to go with an ALG trigger and a MAID grip but I'm not sure which stock I should go with. The MOE and CTR stocks by Magpul look almost identical. The only difference I can find in the description on Magpuls site is:

"The CTR also features a supplemental friction lock system that minimizes excessive stock movement for enhanced weapon stability and an ambidextrous QD sling mount that will accept any push-button sling swivel"

Is that worth an extra $20? Should I get a Mil Spec receiver extension tube or commercial? What is the difference?

slowman87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    I like my CTR. I can tell a difference between having it locked and unlocked. Mil spec have 4 positions and different diameter and a flat end to the tube. Commercial has 6 position and a slanted end on the stock. Mine is commercial and have no problems. Never notice a difference between either when using them though.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    The CTR "clamps" tight to the buffer tube for ZERO 'wiggle' to me, yes its worth the $20.

Your lower reciever will determine what diameter buffer tube you need. ie - commercial or milspec. The difference is the diameter and a couple other dimensional details. I believe Spikes lowers are milspec diameter, but I'd confirm that before taking my word for it.

Sean

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    The CTR "clamps" tight to the buffer tube for ZERO 'wiggle' to me, yes its worth the $20.

Your lower reciever will determine what diameter buffer tube you need. ie - commercial or milspec. The difference is the diameter and a couple other dimensional details. I believe Spikes lowers are milspec diameter, but I'd confirm that before taking my word for it.

Incorrect, the lower doesn't dictate if you can use one or the other. You can use mil-spec or commercial tubes on any lower.

Last edited:

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    They should really stop making the MOE and lower the CTR $10. I see no reason to get the MOE personally. I hate that there are factory rifles with Magpul furniture (which include the MOE stock) and I would still have to buy a CTR adding cost. Oh well.

Last edited:

Rickshaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    I have one of each. Both work well. I like the qd on the CRT but enjoy both. Comes down to how much you wish to spend.

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw

This is false. You can use commercial or milspec buffer tube on any lower. Only difference in the OD for the actual tube. If you have a commercial tube you will need a commercial stock. If you have a milspec tube you need a milspec stock etc. I have shot both the CTR and MOE, go with the CTR hands down.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    I have a CTR on mine also. It is worth the extra money.

Since you have a stripped lower, you can buy either the mil spec or the commercial buffer tube. As far as the lower is concerned, they are interchangeable. Just match the stock to the buffer tube. At this stage of the game, it might be to the point where you buy what is available. I know most other AR stuff is that rare, but I haven't looked at buffer tubes.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    CTR on a commercial tube on a Contender carbine with Choate grip/adapter.
    Stock isn't rock solid but doesn't rattle too badly. I just wrapped the web of my sling through the slot, not using QD option.

Did add thicker pad and cheekpiece. Works fine, but wasn't the cheapest way to go.
    I'm kinda neutral on the thing.

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    CTR all the Way.
    My In-Law has the MOE and he is kicking himself for being soooo CHEAP!

The only Dif between MilSpec and Commerical is the Tube Diameter of the tube

Mil-Spec ( 1.148" outer diameter)
    Commercial (1.168" outer diameter)

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I have a few CTR stocks and they are nice.
    I also have and use some plainjane CAR/M4 stocks and I like those too.
    For a dirt clod shooter like me it doesn't matter what I use.

Top Bottom