• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    A little bit of back ground before I ask about this new blade of mine.

At our family company we tend to treat customers and vendors well. We don't jump ship over small and warranted increases and we don't hand out increases unless we absolutely have to due to the market change.

That being said a few weeks ago one of our vendors (his company is a vendor or ours as well as a customer that we've had a relationship for a few years with) came in and we got to talking about knives after a business talk was done. We found out that we both have been collecting since we were both kids (he's late 50's early 60's, and I just turned 31). After discussing what we have, we decided that we were going to do lunch in our conference room this past Wednesday and to a show and tell sort of deal.

We get together over an hour and show our stuff to each other and had a blast talking about each piece. Two of my favorites are a piece his dad got from a villager in Africa during WWII. It has a sheath made of leather and the blade had some sort of engravings on it. The other one that caught my eye was a blue folder made by Moki. I collect knives but only ones that catch my eye. Since I've gotten older and have more money than I did when I was a kid I rarely look at brands, but rather the feel and the look of knives.

We part ways on Wednesday after eating lunch and showing our blades off.

Now come to today. I'm at the office and busier than all heck. In walks this vendor of ours. We talk for a few minutes and then he reaches in his brief case and pulls out a box and says "I know you loved the blue Moki of mine, and I thought you'd really like to have this one." Could have knocked me over with a feather! He said that he ordered a few in of the same type but different colors, and thought this one fit me best.

Sure I've received gifts from customers and vendors before, but it's usually in the form of Colts, Pacers, race ticket or some type of food item. NEVER something that I'm really interested in or collect.

It's not a blue one like his, but it's red. It looks great! I think the red looks better than the blue the longer it sits in my hands! :D

I know this knife is probably good quality, but I'm not really sure about it.

Can anyone give me any insight to this manufacture? I've looked on line a bit, but can't find very much other than it's made in Japan. Maybe even know the cost of this?

Here's a few pics that I just took:

IMAG1856.jpg

IMAG1854.jpg

IMAG1858.jpg

Besides the metal and the color, what I like about this is that when the blade is opened, you can not tell that the locking piece is seperate from the blad. Left to right or the length from the tip to the lock. Just amazing craftmanship:

IMAG1860.jpg

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i can't say for sure but i believe moki use to help make spyderco knives (like a sub company to assist w/ production). they came out with their own brand of knives and they were pretty popular a bit ago. they are of very solid quality. when i have seen them they usually sell for around 65-80 dollars on the used market. when they were first released i believe they went for around 130 dollars or so.

this is your model i believe and some info on it

Moki Ares Lockback

4 1/8" closed. Mirror polished VG-10 stainless blade. Crimson jigged bone handles with brushed stainless bolster. Lanyard hole. Genuine leather sheath. Made in Japan. (though it doesn't appear yours has the leather sheath.)

very awesome gift and a great blade it appears. keep that vendor around lol. congrats sir

Last edited:

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    I picked up a Moki years ago at the 1500, carried it for years. More basic model, plastic handle full serrated blade. I LOST IT! Have been looking for years to replace it.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    It really does not get much better than a Moki knife if you like the older traditional looking knife...there is no tactical coolness factor to them. Moki knives are known for their fit and finish. The attention to this makes every one of their knives nearly perfect out of the box.

Moki brand knives have been around since the early 1900's and they are located in Seki City, Japan. They do a lot of work for some of the larger knife companies in the world, including Spyderco.

OP: Your 533 model has a suggested retail of about $189.00...which means you can probably buy it for $125.00 to $135.00. This is not a cheap knife and is a very nice gift that you have received.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom