Mom arrested for defending her daughter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Didn't surprise me when I read it. There's a woman in Florida doing 20 years for firing a warning shot. This woman will be lucky if she doesn't go to prison. Virginia, like Texas, is not what many people think it is.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    What completely baffles me is the police not thinking this was a clear case of self defense. 10-2 odds is not good for the mother and daughter.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'm not the type to lawyer up and I know that anyone can sue anyone for anything. But assuming she's found guilty of some "crime" for defending another persons life by following Unca Joes advice could she file suit against him and win?

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    I perform many roof inspections each year and have personally seen dozens of bullets lodged in roofs. What goes up must come down, and I can assure you that if a bullet coming back down can penetrate shingles and wood roof decking, it certainly would cause more than a headache if it hit a person. For this reason I would never suggest firing in to the air. One of our basic rules is to know what our bullet will hit AND what is behind it.

For what it is worth, I find more in Chicago then anywhere else.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The protective mother, 35-year-old Lakisha Gaither, said that one of a group of men began attacking her 15-year-old daughter, Brianna Stewart, at their Woodbridge apartment complex after an argument broke out. Fearing her daughter would be injured, Gaither fired the pistol she was openly carrying once into the air, Opposing Views reported.

Based on the limited information in the article, I might be inclined to believe Lakisha might have been justified in lowering her aim about 90 degrees.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Don't have to reevaluate anything. I'm very familiar with the Florida case. Posted on it here when it happened. She got railroaded.

really? Going out to the car, returning, and shooting in a reckless manner at someone who is not threatening you is the proper behavior?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Problem is, if she was truly in fear for her and/or her daughter's life, she would have (and should have) shot the dudes ganging up on them. :draw:

Many people out there say their first reaction is to fire a warning shot cause they really don't want to hurt anybody. (Usually borderline sheeple gun owners)

People -
    If you're going to clean your gun, you first need to get it dirty. No warning shots, just empty the mag.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Didn't surprise me when I read it. There's a woman in Florida doing 20 years for firing a warning shot. This woman will be lucky if she doesn't go to prison. Virginia, like Texas, is not what many people think it is.
    I agree. Virginia is one of the last places is want to live. Besides for the scenery it's a **** hole and the politics and laws are stupid. Also thanks to D.C. It's been overran

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Problem is, if she was truly in fear for her and/or her daughter's life, she would have (and should have) shot the dudes ganging up on them. :draw:

Many people out there say their first reaction is to fire a warning shot cause they really don't want to hurt anybody. (Usually borderline sheeple gun owners)

People -
    If you're going to clean your gun, you first need to get it dirty. No warning shots, just empty the mag.
    Without training the act of shooting another human being goes deeply against most peoples thought process. It's not normal human nature to kill another human. And even those trained to do it might not when the time come

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Without training the act of shooting another human being goes deeply against most peoples thought process. It's not normal human nature to kill another human. And even those trained to do it might not when the time come

You're not the first person I've heard say that. And while it might not be "normal," when comparison to Sunday grocery shopping, it happens frequently enough for one to question how true that statement actually is.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    You're not the first person I've heard say that. And while it might not be "normal," when comparison to Sunday grocery shopping, it happens frequently enough for one to question how true that statement actually is.

I tend to believe most people have trained or educated their baser natures away thru adherence to values taught to them or adopted. But still it lurks. I think people have a basic knowledge of right and wrong, a conscience, but that internal lizard brain is there waiting.

Top Bottom