• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    :scratches head: You do realize that herbicides and pesticides are being put into the dna of some GM seed stock yes?

Actually, no, I don't think that's what they do. I don't think that there is a guy in a white lab coat with a syringe full of DDT, injecting it into the "dna" of a seed somewhere.

Genes are manipulated to give a plant resistance to herbicide (roundup ready soybeans) that will kill weeds that don't have resistance. And, yes, in some cases genes are modified to give a plant the ability to produce it's own pesticide (bt corn), but gene comes from a bacteria and the pesticide produced is a naturally-occurring toxin.

And, yes, I'd rather munch on a handful of roundup ready soybeans, or an ear of bt corn, than eat a bunch of beautiful, unblemished fruit from a country where they still use DDT.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Vaccines also usually contain aluminum (before this it was mercury) as a stabilizer. You also aren't supposed to drink directly out of aluminum cans (they contain a plastic liner so the aluminum doesn't leach). Where does the shot go? Directly into the blood stream and throughout your body; a much more direct path for the aluminum than for you drinking out of an aluminum can.

The plastic liner in a can of soda has NOTHING to do with protecting you from aluminum, and EVERYTHING to do with protecting the can itself from the acid in the drink. Open a soda can, then stick in a nail or small knife and scratch the lining on the inside of the can. Let it sit overnight, and the acid in the soda will have eaten right through the can by morning.
    We use aluminum cookware, aluminum foil, and antiperspirant containing aluminum all the time. Why would it be necessary to protect US from aluminum cans?

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    I agree with you that the plastic liner is not solely used to prevent aluminum in your food, but it is a health hazard. It is not as much of a health hazard when you eat it through your digestive system, but it is more harmful when it is directly delivered.

Aluminum accumulates in the kidneys, brain, lungs, liver and thyroid where it competes with calcium for absorption and can affect skeletal mineralization. In infants, this can slow growth. Animal models have linked aluminum exposure to mental impairments.

Just as cigarette smoke damages lung function and overexposure to UV rays will degrade your skin, aluminum is an attacker and its target is your central nervous system. [2] Studies show that toxic metals contribute to brain diseases by producing oxidative stress and aluminum is one of the worst offenders.

Why I'm Concerned About the Dangers of Aluminum | Natural Health & Organic Living Blog

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Genes are manipulated to give a plant resistance to herbicide (roundup ready soybeans) that will kill weeds that don't have resistance. And, yes, in some cases genes are modified to give a plant the ability to produce it's own pesticide (bt corn), but gene comes from a bacteria and the pesticide produced is a naturally-occurring toxin.

And, yes, I'd rather munch on a handful of roundup ready soybeans, or an ear of bt corn, than eat a bunch of beautiful, unblemished fruit from a country where they still use DDT.

You do not know what the long-term health effects are of GMO's in human food, it hasn't been around for 50 years. As far as I am aware there are no immediate health effects, but that does not eliminate the possibility that there are long-term effects down the road.

On the other hand we do know that there are no long-term health effects from eating non-GMO seeds as they have been consumed for 50 years or more. You can feel free to eat all the GMO's you want, but until I know the long-term effects I won't stick my head in the sand as to the possibility of a disastrous long-term health effect (again I'm not saying there is, but it is still unknown).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    It does nothing of the sort. This is what happens when you get news from Russia state television.

This looks like a better analysis:

Mikulski says she doesn't support 'Monsanto rider' in funding bill - Baltimore Sun

The language, tucked into appropriations legislation to fund the government through the end of the fiscal year, would strip courts of the power to halt the planting of such crops if a judge felt a review of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's approval was warranted over health or environmental concerns.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    904343_357599044358193_375403581_o_zpsf9b01d7c.jpg

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    They wonder why we've become so fat, and can't lose weight, no matter how hard we work at it. Play 60 my butt. Grow natural food that isn't genetically modified.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Rather sad what our Congress can find its way to vote on and what it can't find its way to vote on.

Government by the vested interests for the vested interests and of the vested interests. :spend: What happened to the "people?" :dunno:

Our government is corrupt. The whole lot of them.

Top Bottom