• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    They should make those kind of patents just like they do for drugs, they expire after so many years and then every one can use it or make something comparable.

They do, ironically the Patent for roundup ready beans expires in 2014. Roundup the herbicide has been out of patent for some time now, you can buy generic glyphosate the active ingredient in Roundup.
    Monsanto has already stated that once the patent is off they will no longer pursue any legal action against the roundup ready technology.

Monsanto | Roundup Ready Soybean Patent Expiration

Makes all this seem kinda stupid.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    They do, ironically the Patent for roundup ready beans expires in 2014. Roundup the herbicide has been out of patent for some time now, you can buy generic glyphosate the active ingredient in Roundup.
    Monsanto has already stated that once the patent is off they will no longer pursue any legal action against the roundup ready technology.

Monsanto | Roundup Ready Soybean Patent Expiration

Makes all this seem kinda stupid.

That changes things a bit in my mind then. How long are these types of patents for?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Very strange, to me.

If you count an idea as someon'e personal property, how is it any less of a theft to duplicate it once the 'patent' expires?

Still theft, right? Even if the government doesn't prosecute you?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Very strange, to me.

If you count an idea as someon'e personal property, how is it any less of a theft to duplicate it once the 'patent' expires?

Still theft, right? Even if the government doesn't prosecute you?
    What if someone comes up with the same idea but didn't get the patent for it fast enough? Is it any less their idea as well?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    It is a tough one for sure. Spend years and millions on something you would at least like to profit off of it for a while. Imagine if Ford still had a patent on cars:D

It makes sense on its face...but that would imply that people didn't bother inventing or thinking until patents or copyrights came around. But that's not the case, is it?

And what about open source software? Android has picked up a huge portion of the market share.

People don't stop being creative in the absence of copyrights and patents. Nor do they stop making money from those ideas.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    UPDATE: Supreme Court unanimously sides with Monsanto in landmark patent case

The Supreme Court unanimously sided with Monsanto, in a landmark 9-0 decision that will change the mechanics of patent law forever. This is the very definition of legislating from the bench. The court has decided to unilaterally expand patent law without an act of congress, in order to protect Monsanto's seeds in perpetuity as they reproduce.

If they don’t want me to go to the elevator and buy that grain, then Congress should pass a law saying you can’t do it,” said Vernon Bowman.

Supreme Court rules for Monsanto in case of genetically modified soybeans | Washington Post

Supreme Court Supports Monsanto in Seed-Replication Case | New York Times

Monsanto wins landmark patent case in Supreme Court | RT USA

Case: Bowman v. Monsanto

Supreme_Court_Seed_Dispute.JPEG-0a982.jpg

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Yep

EPIC FAIL by the gubment. I am married to a farm girl and her dad hates Monsanto. Pretty soon we will be pumping human blood into our food and deem it OK.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I jokingly refer to Monsanto as 'the Enemy of the World,' but it's really not a joke. They truly are the enemy of the world. Not just this nation, but the world. Their stated goal is to control the entire world's food supply. What is their unstated goal with a clear and explicit mission statement like that? Agent Orange, Glyphosate, pesticides, now seeds and Terminator technology. I loathe unjust, tyrannical Government. I FEAR Monsanto.

I work with a guy whose brother used to be high up in running their lobbying campaign for decades.
    He's got some severely interesting stories.

Top Bottom