Montana man convicted after shooting in his garage.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Sounds like there were some wrong things on each side of the fence here but had he not been where he didn't belong it simply wouldn't have happened. I do feel for the guy however with a 10 year minimum sentence... Hopefully the appeal process will get him somewhere.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I accepted the grand jury decision in Ferguson, MO and I'll accept this jury's too. They heard all the testimony and evidently believed that the homeowner did set things up so that he could do a shoot. The home owner was the thug here. We don't need people imposing the death penalty on someone in a non-capital simple burglary. Without seeing the testimony it appears the kid was indeed intent on stealing but there is nothing to indicate that he intended to enter the house and harm anyone in there.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I accepted the grand jury decision in Ferguson, MO and I'll accept this jury's too. They heard all the testimony and evidently believed that the homeowner did set things up so that he could do a shoot. The home owner was the thug here. We don't need people imposing the death penalty on someone in a non-capital simple burglary. Without seeing the testimony it appears the kid was indeed intent on stealing but there is nothing to indicate that he intended to enter the house and harm anyone in there.

I couldn't have said it better. Guess we won't be going rioting tonight, may have to stick to Christmas caroling.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I think this was, based upon what I have read, the correct decision. Had it not been premeditated I would feel differently.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    So, this differs from police using a bait car how? If a car thief was killed attempting to steal a bait car, would the officers get 10 years?

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    So, this differs from police using a bait car how? If a car thief was killed attempting to steal a bait car, would the officers get 10 years?

Police are there with the intent to arrest, this guy was there to shoot somebody. And if an officer shot a person for just getting into a bait car, yes, jail time.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, this differs from police using a bait car how? If a car thief was killed attempting to steal a bait car, would the officers get 10 years?​

This differs in that Montana Man was committing Murder. If Montana Man had said "stop in the name of the law" and not fired a shotgun four times, then it would be identical.

If you are talking about the StakeOut Squad kind of operation, then the robber has forfeited his life by committing the forcible felony and it is right and proper to kill him.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    This differs in that Montana Man was committing Murder. If Montana Man had said "stop in the name of the law" and not fired a shotgun four times, then it would be identical.

If you are talking about the StakeOut Squad kind of operation, then the robber has forfeited his life by committing the forcible felony and it is right and proper to kill him.

Can I get some clarification on that Counselor? In the 'bait car' scenerios the car is most often left unsecured, with the keys either in the ignition or in clear view. Are you advocating the shooting of simple car theives?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    We are not allowed to shoot a person for stealing a car. We are not allowed to set it up for the purpose of shooting the suspect. We are not allowed to stay hidden and when the suspect enters the car, fire into it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Can I get some clarification on that Counselor? In the 'bait car' scenerios the car is most often left unsecured, with the keys either in the ignition or in clear view. Are you advocating the shooting of simple car theives?

I don't believe so. I think what he's saying is if you sat in a car, across the street and the college student then forced his way into the house, then it's a forceable felony and force may be reasonably expected. But when you intentionally bait somebody in and tell the neighbors you're trying to lure somebody into your home to "get them" (or whatever he said)...big difference.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

There is a distinction between thieves and robbers. Armed Robbery is a forcible felony. Theft is not.

No one is advocating shooting thieves. Because, as we see from the Montana Man case, you will go to prison for shooting thieves.

If you are unfamiliar with the NYPD Stakeout Squad and their actions against robbers (not thieves), I can recommend this: http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Cirillos-Tales-Stakeout-Squad/dp/1581606494

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Bait car isn't a stakeout. He's talking about something like having an officer hidden in the liquor store that's been targeted for multiple robberies.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    There is a distinction between thieves and robbers. Armed Robbery is a forcible felony. Theft is not.

No one is advocating shooting thieves. Because, as we see from the Montana Man case, you will go to prison for shooting thieves.

If you are unfamiliar with the NYPD Stakeout Squad and their actions against robbers (not thieves), I can recommend this: http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Cirillos-Tales-Stakeout-Squad/dp/1581606494

I haven't read the book and am unfamiliar with the Stake Out Squad, what confuses me is how the subject went from a homeowner who, as it seems, proceeded with malice aforethought to 'get them' to Bait Car operations to Armed Robbery.

Bait car isn't a stakeout. He's talking about something like having an officer hidden in the liquor store that's been targeted for multiple robberies.

Seems to me that we are comparing apples to oranges. Are we discussing the use of lethal force to stop a property crime, burglary, or a crime against a person, armed robbery? Leaving the Castle Doctrine argument aside for the moment, the kid in MN was merely a burglar who walked into a trap set by the homeowner who, as it turned out, was more intent on shooting someone than he was in catching them.

Top Bottom