• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    Recently on a trip to Walleyworld I was ask for my DL when buying ammo. The attendant entered my DL # or something from it into the computer. I was paying with cash just to not have this. I would have trouble avoiding the video monitoring( unless I wear a mask) but would like to minimize my money tracking. This crap is irritating me more and more. Law abiding responsible citizen I just don't like it. I am going to pay more with cash and debit less for groceries and daily stuff.
    I am guessing this is a Walmart thing. There will be other stores that don't take any info. Probably cost more but convenience always costs you?

I know it sounds silly.
    To avoid the video monitoring wear a mask of some kind? Harpo Marx comes to mind. Not in banks or security sensitive places. Can you imagine shopping for groceries in Aldi's with many people wearing masks. How funny. I know it sounds silly:-)

I did suffer thru the movie 1984 last week.

Morgan88

Is it possible they are not using my DL# but type in the buyers age which might be reasonable?
    I guess I am going somewhere else and pay a little more for them to just gimme the stuff and leave me alone:-)

Obviously each of us will have to do what we feel comfortable with. We will vote 1 person at a time. I have a local small business owner I can patronize. I will pay a little more but it will be worth it to me.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Recently on a trip to Walleyworld I was ask for my DL when buying ammo. The attendant entered my DL # or something from it into the computer. I was paying with cash just to not have this. I would have trouble avoiding the video monitoring( unless I wear a mask) but would like to minimize my money tracking. This crap is irritating me more and more. Law abiding responsible citizen I just don't like it. I am going to pay more with cash and debit less for groceries and daily stuff.
    I am guessing this is a Walmart thing. There will be other stores that don't take any info. Probably cost more but convenience always costs you?

I know it sounds silly.
    To avoid the video monitoring wear a mask of some kind? Harpo Marx comes to mind. Not in banks or security sensitive places. Can you imagine shopping for groceries in Aldi's with many people wearing masks. How funny. I know it sounds silly:-)

I did suffer thru the movie 1984 last week.

Morgan88

What I hate and avoid is letting a store actually scan my Driver's License so that all my personal info is added to their database.
    I always refuse and tell them to take the item that requires this off the sale.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Maybe because I am old and look it, but they never ask for my DL for ammo. I wouldn't give it either. Even though I pay with credit cards.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    How about a medical mask that I see people wearing for various reasons? Still.covers most of your face.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The Walmart disdain is strong in this one.....:)

If you object to being videoed in a public place, Wal-Mart is not for you. Buy your ammo at some hillbilly shop where the only photos are Polaroids next to the register with the words "do not accept checks from this man" next to them. I heard there's a shop like that somewhere off Eastern Blvd...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I saw the thread title and thought of Dana Carvey. (aka my alter ego :):)

[video=youtube;BbU4Cb4A4-o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbU4Cb4A4-o[/video]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    or to be a bigger PITA, maybe obscure the barcode somehow? Either by marking over a parts of it with sharpie to hide parts of it that should be white, or taking super fine (600-1000?) sandpaper and removing parts of the barcode from the back? (you could at least blame "normal" wear on that one) If they cant scan it, they cant capture the data. :rockwoot:

I cant think of a single legit use .gov uses the barcode for; Ive never seen it scanned except by private parties. (feel free to point out my error)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I cant think of a single legit use .gov uses the barcode for; Ive never seen it scanned except by private parties. (feel free to point out my error)

The barcode interacts with Indiana's crash reporting system. The in car scanner lets you scan the license and the registration and automatically upload the information correctly into the accident report. Prevents typos and speeds the process up quite a bit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

The barcode interacts with Indiana's crash reporting system. The in car scanner lets you scan the license and the registration and automatically upload the information correctly into the accident report. Prevents typos and speeds the process up quite a bit.

This I understand. Asking for my data to purchase anything I do not understand and absolutely will not comply with.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Thanks, Denny!

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    You guys making this too hard.
    March into Wal Mart wearing a burkha.
    Pay cash.
    Tell them youre AMISH, and dont carry state issued ID, because its the mark of the beast.
    If they do ANYTHING but just give you your ammo, loudly proclaim that theyre racist, and theyre persecuting you because of your religious beliefs.

You're welcome.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Dick's tried to enter my information into the computer and I called for the manager. An assistant Mgr. girl came and I expressed that they would not be having my information, and she said it was the law. I even returned later to talk to the Main manager and he admitted that they can sell ammo without the information, even though it was store policy. I explained that I was a grandfather with 6 grandkids, 5 of whom play ball, so I was in the stores market audience. He kind of shrugged his shoulders and walked away. Guess where I don't take the grandkids for sporting gear? Even Gander Mountain does better than that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

In Ohio, a DL would normally display your SS# but you can request that it not be visibly displayed on the face of the license (and I do) but it is still encoded on the magnetic strip. No commercial institution, other than my bank and broker, need my SS# and thus any attempt to scan the license is a deal-breaker

Dick's tried to enter my information into the computer and I called for the manager. An assistant Mgr. girl came and I expressed that they would not be having my information, and she said it was the law. I even returned later to talk to the Main manager and he admitted that they can sell ammo without the information, even though it was store policy. I explained that I was a grandfather with 6 grandkids, 5 of whom play ball, so I was in the stores market audience. He kind of shrugged his shoulders and walked away. Guess where I don't take the grandkids for sporting gear? Even Gander Mountain does better than that.

Unfortunately, when buying ammo, Cabelas has begun asking for DOB information which they wish to enter into their computer system. I have refused to complete the sale and exchanged emails with corporate about this practice to no avail. They claim it is to have evidence that you were old enough to purchase ammo but i haven't looked too young to legally buy anything limited to 21 and older in 30 yrs so I call bull:poop:. I expect just an example of people late to the big data game trying to play catch-up

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Unfortunately, when buying ammo, Cabelas has begun asking for DOB information which they wish to enter into their computer system. I have refused to complete the sale and exchanged emails with corporate about this practice to no avail. They claim it is to have evidence that you were old enough to purchase ammo but i haven't looked too young to legally buy anything limited to 21 and older in 30 yrs so I call bull:poop:. I expect just an example of people late to the big data game trying to play catch-up

How is giving them your DOB somehow infringing on your privacy? How will they know you from anyone else that shares your birthdate? :scratch: I can understand the ID scanning COMPLETELY but simply recording a DOB? I call (overreacting) shenanigans.*

*Unless miraculously you were the only person in the world born on that day, then I understand. :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How is giving them your DOB somehow infringing on your privacy? How will they know you from anyone else that shares your birthdate? :scratch: I can understand the ID scanning COMPLETELY but simply recording a DOB? I call (overreacting) shenanigans.*

*Unless miraculously you were the only person in the world born on that day, then I understand. :):

This is just another chip/chink in the armor. It all starts somewhere. This is where it starts and hell no, I am not giving anyone any info for any supposed reason period.
    LEO is on thing, Betty the cashier and corporate is another. Just stop asking.

Top Bottom