• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Looking in my gun safe, I noticed my long gun collection is easily 3x that of my handgun collection. Just wondering if any of you notice you sway one way or the other?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am probably a little heavy on handguns at this point, but in the end we generally have one or two working carry guns, one house gun (which may or may not be a carry gun), and a working rifle, shotgun, and rimfire if one is in the hunting habit. A person very active in shooting activities may have more than one per class of hunting guns, and a police officer may have a wider selection of working guns on the job, as would an active prepper. Beyond that it is strictly a hobby, so whatever you enjoy is what is right for you!

marcp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    Well since my first gun's purchased were for hunting my collection is a little heavy on the long gun's. But I'm doing my best to even thing's out..lol can never have enough of either..

The world is full of zombies,some not dead yet....

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    3/5 of my collection are long guns. It fluctuates quite a bit, lately I've been on a hand gun buying spree... We shall see which way the pendulum will swing in the next couple months though, been eyeing a few rifles lately so it could get pretty heavy on the long gun side again pretty soon.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    running 50-50

You have an even 100 guns? Does your spouse cap you at 100? This is just a very odd number to stop at!

I'm at about a 5:3 rifle:handgun ratio....Nearly. I think most of us follow the "1 of each" rule and then build from there to fill in our perceived gaps. If I were to make an essentials list for ME, it might include:

1 x long range mid to large caliber rifle.
    1 x short work mid-caliber rifle.
    1 x urban deployable shotgun.
    1 x Hip weapon.
    1 x ankle/IWB weapon.
    1 x practice/plinker.
    1 x fun gun.

So in the list you have 4 rifles, 2 handguns, and the fun gun could go either way. It seems to me that someone who ISN'T rifle heavy either has already met their needs and can't show any self restraint when a pretty piece of metal shows up in a case or isn't doing it right. My opinions of course. YMMV.

-Dobber

BEBOATS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Paoli, Indiana
    I have around 60% rifles with approx. 40% hand guns with few shotguns and muzzle loaders. I'm at the place where keeping
    them cleaned and oiled is too much. The majority of my rifless are military surplus circa. WW II.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

You have an even 100 guns? Does your spouse cap you at 100? This is just a very odd number to stop at!

I'm at about a 5:3 rifle:handgun ratio....Nearly. I think most of us follow the "1 of each" rule and then build from there to fill in our perceived gaps. If I were to make an essentials list for ME, it might include:

1 x long range mid to large caliber rifle.
    1 x short work mid-caliber rifle.
    1 x urban deployable shotgun.
    1 x Hip weapon.
    1 x ankle/IWB weapon.
    1 x practice/plinker.
    1 x fun gun.

So in the list you have 4 rifles, 2 handguns, and the fun gun could go either way. It seems to me that someone who ISN'T rifle heavy either has already met their needs and can't show any self restraint when a pretty piece of metal shows up in a case or isn't doing it right. My opinions of course. YMMV.

-Dobber

That's some serious taken out of context! :laugh: :yesway:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have way more rifles than handguns (only 9 handguns - so far). I find that my buying/interest is seasonal. I tend to buy my handguns in the winter months, and long guns in warmer weather. Probably has something to do with my range habits.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I have around 4 to 5 times as many long guns as handguns, I have a stronger interest in handguns but I inherited or was gifted many many long guns when I was younger.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom