More Wal-Marts will be selling guns again...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USMC1811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I buy pinking ammo at Wal-Mart, I buy self defense ammo at my local gun store. Only the local gun store will have accessories and what good is a gun without all the cool accessories?

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I buy ammo from Wal-Mart. Mostly for plinking, but other types as well. I picked up some 00 buckshot the other day, and I don't plink with it.

I have a Remington 870 and a Ruger mini-14 purchased at Wal-Mart. MOST of my gun buying goes to the area's smaller shops. But hey, if you want a 10-22 on the spur of the moment, a Wal-Mart store 10 minutes away can be a good thing.

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    While I agree with everyone that it is good to support the small local shops, I just got back from a run to town and started thinking. My small town use to have 2 new car dealerships, I just drove by both of the empty buildings (well, okay, they not empty, one has a resale shop in part of it now and the other is a feed store) and thought back to this thread and wondered just how far does that sentiment go. I knew one of the dealers and he closed because it seemed that most of his business went to the big car dealers 50 or 60 miles away... you know the ones, they have inflatable dinosaurs out front, chrome and glass showrooms, big colorful newspaper ads and tv commercials that yell a lot. I am well familiar with the new car dealership world and have seen many, many dealers close due to lack of sales to the 'big town' dealers. I also know that most of the time, people do not get better deals at the big dealerships... they just believe they did. (everyone says car dealerships rip everyone off except them. It seems that everyone knows how to put one over on a salesman who likely sells more cars a week than most people will buy in a lifetime) They do not build those big fancy facilities by selling below their cost.

My small town also had at least one appliance store but alas, it is gone because of the Best Buy and home centers 50 miles away. A small grocery store still hangs in there for the quick trip but nobody is doing their weekly shopping there. So, I wonder how many people who avoid Walmart like the plague, keep to their same principles when it comes to shopping for other things such as cars, dishwashers, 2x4's and frozen pizzas. How many will sit for hours researching an internet purchase and then condemn Walmart for driving out the Mom & Pop gun store?

In the interest of full disclosure, I do go into Walmart at times and even bought my wife's rifle there. Walmart serves a purpose and fills a niche... our system is built on competition and supply & demand. What prices do you think you would see at your local store if it wasn't for the lower prices driven by a Walmart (or Bud's or Davidson's or Midway USA) Walmart is the nation's largest employer so they give a lot of people paychecks which likely then get spent at local stores. It is all cyclical... I am sure many complained that years ago, Sears & Roebucks drove many little stores out of business, then it was Ben Franklin dime stores, K-Mart, Service Merchandise and so on. Someday, Walmart will be beaten at their own game just like has happened in other markets. Remember the home center Builders Square? Been to one lately? How about a Highland Electronics? Fretters? Circuit City? 3D? Zayres? Montgomery Wards? It is the ebb & flow of business and if Walmart did not sell what people wanted to buy, they too would simply be a footnote in history.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    At least there won't be many firearms from China, if any!

Is this because they don't want to arm Americans against their eventual takeover ?

I'm really surprised to see WM get back into firearm sales.

.....now where is that kid with the damn ammo case key ? :dunno:

Oh, he's over mixing 20 gallons of custom paint for a customer and will be with you shortly. :xmad:

kevincullman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Kosciusko county
    I live in warsaw and our walmart has a good selection of rifle and shotguns right now, but it doesn't compare to or big R store. big R is about 2/1 over wally world and also have handguns!!

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    As much as I hate to say it, I am some what excited to hear that walmart is going to bring firearms back. In my area, if you dont want to pay retail you have to drive over an hour away to start finding fair deals on even basic firearms. Heck most of the dealers are priced right in line with Gander Mountain :rolleyes:. For an example when I was looking for my last purchase, an SR9c, the average price was $520 on the low side. I did get lucky enough to meet a fellow Ingo member who was a great customer of one of our local shops. As part of a trade deal he got a frequent buyer discount for me that was a $100 cheaper to match other shops south of Fort Wayne. 2 of the bigger shops in town had them at $549. Yes, I do realize that pistols wont be sold at wally world but this was an example of the prices I usually find. A few of the shops say they will match any shop in Fort Waynes price. At least Wally world can be one of those shops now :D. Shoot, if my local Wally world gets firearms back it will save me about 2 hours driving to Fort Wayne and back anyway and with the gas prices it can add up real quick these days.

Daniel686

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Terre Haute
    The one in South Terre Haute still sells guns. They really do have rock bottom prices on them. I don't like to give business to walmart. Most of all there other goods are made in china! But when a local gun shop wants $190 for a rifle they sell for $117, well im not a rich guy. And they dont have a huge selection so most of my business gos to the local guys anyway.

Top Bottom