• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I recentle got myself a "new" Mosin, my first one. Took everything out of the box, finely got all the cosmolene off everything. In putting the bayonet on the rifle barrel, it wont go down far enough to be able to twist it in place. Is the wrong bayonet in the box, do I need to buff/drill the slot bigger? Any help would be appreciated.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Pics would help, but it sounds like you may have the wrong bayonet.

If you look down the open hole in the bayonet, can you see anything out of round?

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Many Mosins that I had...the bayonet just wouldn't go on all the way, not unusual.
    I had to grind the hole out with a dremel to get it to fit. Why they are tight is anyones guess.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    make sure the release button if free... took a few taps with a hammer before my first one moved freely. it should be spring loaded.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Rather than grinding, take a large screwdriver and stick it in the slot and spread it a bit. the steel in the bayo is fairly soft and it it easy to do. If you go too far just take a pair of channel locks and squeeze it back.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I'm guessing you need that bayonet in case the zombies get in to close?
    Just kidding. I'm still trying to figure out you Mosin people.

Mrkeller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Greensburg
    I use to work at a firearm distributor, and use to handle a lot of mosins. We would take the gun it self out of the crate and clean it, then get a a bayo from a separate box. We would try to fit them together, if they fit we would package them together, if not we would ream the hole until it fit. I'm assuming that other places don't do this. So your best bet is to get a dremel and open up the hole a bit. Just don't force it on.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Pardon me while I hijack your thread… :):
    I just opened the box to my 2nd Mosin. My first one was a 1955 and has a bayonet that folds back. This one, the bayonet looks like it slips on and has a spring loaded catch to keep it in place like Jaybirds.
    Question: When the bayonet is not “needed” does it store on the rifle or is it loose?

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I just opened the box to my 2nd Mosin. My first one was a 1955 and has a bayonet that folds back. This one, the bayonet looks like it slips on and has a spring loaded catch to keep it in place like Jaybirds.
    Question: When the bayonet is not “needed” does it store on the rifle or is it loose?

Sounds like you have a Rommy M44.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    I recall seeing a discussion somewhere in regards to the 91/30 bayonet issue. I can't remember the source but it was stated that the Russian soldier fought with the bayonet on almost all the time. In fact they zeroed the rifle with it attached. That's why the bayonets were serial numbered to the rifles. They were fitted tightly to that particular rifle. Nowadays with all the surplus stuff coming in little attention is paid to such details. Personally I think that the refinish has a little to do with it as well. I've yet to see a rifle bayonet combo go together without some "coaxing".

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I'm guessing you need that bayonet in case the zombies get in to close?
    Just kidding. I'm still trying to figure out you Mosin people.
    I love it because of its history, the price was great, ammo if reasonably priced, and because it just plain looks cool. Mine was made in 1943, where else are ya gonna get a firearm made in 1943 that is affordable and works? Get one man, you wont regret it. :)

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    No, when not using the bayonet, it comes off. On my SKS, it folds down.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I recall seeing a discussion somewhere in regards to the 91/30 bayonet issue. I can't remember the source but it was stated that the Russian soldier fought with the bayonet on almost all the time. In fact they zeroed the rifle with it attached. That's why the bayonets were serial numbered to the rifles. They were fitted tightly to that particular rifle. Nowadays with all the surplus stuff coming in little attention is paid to such details. Personally I think that the refinish has a little to do with it as well. I've yet to see a rifle bayonet combo go together without some "coaxing".

I have 3 Mosins:
    #1 - 91/30 "37 Izzy - Matching numbers, bayonet goes on and off easy-peasy. (Maybe the PO worked on it...)
    #2 - 91/30 "40 Tula - Matching numbers, bayonet is pretty "stiff" going on/off
    #3 - M44 '53 Hungarian - Works like a bayonet should! (-:

Last edited:

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I love it because of its history, the price was great, ammo if reasonably priced, and because it just plain looks cool. Mine was made in 1943, where else are ya gonna get a firearm made in 1943 that is affordable and works? Get one man, you wont regret it. :)

Right on!

No, when not using the bayonet, it comes off. On my SKS, it folds down.

On the MN M44 carbine, the bayonet folds into a cutout on the stock. VERY nicely designed.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    ...I'm still trying to figure out you Mosin people.

I found this quote by strokin7.3 referring to Mosins: "...but where else can you spend that little amount of money and get a gun with that much history that shoots a round with that much authority?"

That pretty much says it for me! I got my second Mosin, a 1937 Izzy, last week and can't wait to take it to the range.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Cheapest Zombie gun on the market. Not real fast, but do pack a punch. 91-30 Bayonets are cool. Mine hasn't been used, although I tried to shoot with it attached. Can't see a lot of difference either way as far as targets go. The Carbines also have a cool one/swings up, locks in. Wd 40 may loosen up the buttons if sticky.

Top Bottom