• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    My 16" Mosin Nagant was done so it was time to try it out and see whether it was worth the effort or not. I took two 91/30s, one 20" carbine, my new 16" carbine, a chronograph, and a box of 147gr surplus ammo to the range this afternoon, here's what I got.

The 9130s averaged 2753fps. These were a 37 Ishevsk and 42 Ishevsk, they were very consistent, the 42 shooting on average 35fps faster than the 37, the 42 was only 23 fps between high and low, the 37 about 60.

The 20" carbine is an m38 built in 43, a very nice laminated stock gun, i'm not going to mess with this one. 5 shot average was 2542fps. the spread was 92fps.

The 16" carbine averaged 2400fps with a high of 2436 and low of 2364.

What was it like?

If you have shot a 91/30 and a factory carbine and are familiar with the difference, figure that again, maybe a little more. I like it, a LOT!! :D This thing is not for the faint of heart, it has some recoil, and it is LOUD. even with earmuffs on. The noise was the biggest difference between this and the other two.

Was it worth it, does it have a place?

Against a 91/30 you lose about 350ish fps and about 600 ft/lb at the muzzle, and against the factory carbine you lose about 150fps and 200 ft/lb. But, at 2400fps and 1900 ft/lb at the muzzle you are still about 600 ft/lb above an AR and about 300ft/lb above an AK, it's no slouch. I didn't have time to do much accuracy testing but I was shooting clays at 50 yds, and they were pretty fuzzy because I left my glasses at home :rolleyes:.

Like I said, I like it, it's a lot of fun to shoot. Drag this thing out at the range some time when there are people around and I guarantee you will get some attention.

I didn't have time today but I plan to repeat this test with some 180gr heavy ball surplus, just for the heckuvit.

jeepfreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Sounds like a neat little adaptation you made to the Mosin family. Seems like a fun project to do.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    My 16" Mosin Nagant was done so it was time to try it out and see whether it was worth the effort or not. I took two 91/30s, one 20" carbine, my new 16" carbine, a chronograph, and a box of 147gr surplus ammo to the range this afternoon, here's what I got.

The 9130s averaged 2753fps. These were a 37 Ishevsk and 42 Ishevsk, they were very consistent, the 42 shooting on average 35fps faster than the 37, the 42 was only 23 fps between high and low, the 37 about 60.

The 20" carbine is an m38 built in 43, a very nice laminated stock gun, i'm not going to mess with this one. 5 shot average was 2542fps. the spread was 92fps.

The 16" carbine averaged 2400fps with a high of 2436 and low of 2364.

What was it like?

If you have shot a 91/30 and a factory carbine and are familiar with the difference, figure that again, maybe a little more. I like it, a LOT!! :D This thing is not for the faint of heart, it has some recoil, and it is LOUD. even with earmuffs on. The noise was the biggest difference between this and the other two.

Was it worth it, does it have a place?

Against a 91/30 you lose about 350ish fps and about 600 ft/lb at the muzzle, and against the factory carbine you lose about 150fps and 200 ft/lb. But, at 2400fps and 1900 ft/lb at the muzzle you are still about 600 ft/lb above an AR and about 300ft/lb above an AK, it's no slouch. I didn't have time to do much accuracy testing but I was shooting clays at 50 yds, and they were pretty fuzzy because I left my glasses at home :rolleyes:.

Like I said, I like it, it's a lot of fun to shoot. Drag this thing out at the range some time when there are people around and I guarantee you will get some attention.

I didn't have time today but I plan to repeat this test with some 180gr heavy ball surplus, just for the heckuvit.

Cool range report...now I know what mine will do with 16 1/2" barrels. The muzzle blast is pretty awsome.
    When I take mine to the range someone always wants to know ..What the heck is that? Where else can you have that much fun for around $100 bucks

Top Bottom