• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Like the title says the jury is still out on this one, and all input is welcomed and incouraged. Last week while crusing GB I came across a trainer tagged as a Hungarian Mosin Nagant Trainer mfg by Lampagyar Budapest (Budapest Lamp Factory). While admittedly it looks little like a Mosin Nagnt at first glance I did notice some similarities, like the hooded front sight, the shape of the rear of the receiver, but the biggest similarity is the bolt. The bolt looks like a scaled down version of a Mosin Nagnt bolt in .22LR. I decided to do a little research on the rifle and found very little except that a forum member ( Dutch Mosin) owns one and that it is always referred to as a Hungarian Mosin Nagant Trainer. I contacted Ted and asked for his input and he said he had never heard of the model but to feel free to post it and he suggested I contact a friend of his from Hungary who has a web site on Hungarian Firearms ( Manowars Hungarian Weapons & History) and is very knowledgeable on Hungarian weapons.
    Below is the e-mail I recieved from him.....

Hi Walt,

I am working on a page on these training rifles. I have photos, but not much research done yet.
    They were made approx 1950-56. I am not sure about their official purpose though. Their use was definitely not limited to the military.
    The Rakosi government in the 1950's were training civilians, students, young "communists" to weapon usage. During the 1956 Hungarian
    Revolution this was a popular weapon, so civilian use was banned after 1956.
    Still, I remember in the late 60's, early 70's as we were middle and highschoolers, we were taken to target shooting with these rifles once
    or twice a year.
    I believe most Lampagyar guns in the US were carried by the escaping revolutionaires to Austria when the Russians invaded Hungary.
    I believe the earlier guns were marked "Lampagyar Budapest" and the later ones "Lampagyar NV Budapest".
    Which one is yours?
    I have seen serials up to 22500 so far.
    There should be a Rakosi or less likely a Kadar crest after BUDAPEST.
    The black forend on yours is unusual. How was it made?

Regards,
    Laszlo

I also contacted Alb87 and received the following PM from him
    Good morning Walt,
    Thanks for writing.
    I don't have many informations on these .22 trainers, but surelly are not a Mosin Nagant variation.
    As you said have nothing related to oue Mosin, instead maybe of a similar front sight ( but it is different) and the "open type" ( don't know if it's the proper designation) receiver.
    It is a .22 rifle that was used as trainer in Hungary.
    In contrary Polish wz48 can be considered a Modin Nagant variation, even if the action is completely different ( from the wz31), because it was actually made with the spec to looks like a Mosin Nagant rifle ( Stock, front and rear sight etc..).
    The open type receiver of the hungarian trainer was not made specifically to resemble the Mosin receiver.
    Many european .22 caliber rifles had this type of receiver, even in the '50s or '60s like many cheap/simple German Anschutz rifles or Austrian Voere rifles like the ones in the following link
    Anschutz .22 Single Shot Rifle - Rifles - Collector's Source, Military Collectibles Online
    Item:8996669 Voere Germany .22 Bolt Action Rifle For Sale at GunAuction.com

If DDR adopted one of these rifle, would it be called a Mosin Nagant trainer?
    I would not because it has nothing to do with Mosin.
    Soviet TOZ .22 rifles are not considered MN related firearms, and it's correct but Soviet TOZ were used as trainer..
    Lampagyar .22 shuld be considered as the TOZ.. Trainers, but not Mosin Nagant related firearms.

I think the price is good for this rifle. There are not many examples available
    I think the front of the foreend has been repaired with a different wood.

My best regards
    Alberto

So as you can see the Jury is still out on this rifle so without further delay I present for your consideration my Lampagyar Budapest Trainer 22 LR , possible Mosin Nagant Trainer.

IndianaRob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    Now hold on a minute. It's not Finnish, there are no SA marks, it's not Polish, nor Romanian. So just how is it that you could even consider this gun :laugh:.
    Otherwise I agree there are some very interesting qualities that make it Mosin like. Pretty interesting find :yesway:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Interesting. Yeah, that bolt and receiver are definitely Mosin inspired. Heck, even the sights aren't really that much different, especially the rear. Stock looks more Mauser-ish to me so maybe the developer took what they preferred from the Mauser and Mosin and combined them. How long is it and what does it weigh?
    Great find, looks like you better put on your detective hat.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Interesting. Yeah, that bolt and receiver are definitely Mosin inspired. Heck, even the sights aren't really that much different, especially the rear. Stock looks more Mauser-ish to me so maybe the developer took what they preferred from the Mauser and Mosin and combined them. How long is it and what does it weigh?
    Great find, looks like you better put on your detective hat.

It's about the length and weight of an M38 John, the barrel thickness reminds me of a bull barrel on an AR.....:laugh:

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Now hold on a minute. It's not Finnish, there are no SA marks, it's not Polish, nor Romanian. So just how is it that you could even consider this gun :laugh:.
    Otherwise I agree there are some very interesting qualities that make it Mosin like. Pretty interesting find :yesway:

It goes great with my other 3 Hungarian MN's and my Kossuth Crested PU sniper.

Top Bottom