• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Ok I know there are UK-59 Barrels that have been modified and fit to Mosin Nagants and used as target rifles. Here is my question. If I could get a M60 barrel or a M240 Barrel and remove pinned the gas block and front sight post ect. Could I have it re-threaded and chambered in 7.62x54R to fit a Mosin Nagant?

The problems I see right off are that the 7.62x51 is .308 and the 7.62x54R is 311. Could this be over come by handloads or could you fire safely the larger round.

Also the twist in a Nagant I believe is 1/9.5 and the M60/240 have 1/12. Would this be a probem?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    So, you want a 7.62 NATO Mosin? :dunno: If you want a .308, get one! :D Lots of other milsurp rifles in that caliber that can be had for far, FAR less than the machining cost of what you propose...

A ton of work for little effect IMHO. Another thing to worry about is the bolt/headspace. The soviet round is rimmed, where the NATO stuff isn't. There is another can of worms.

I believe the Soviets had many more millions of dollars (rubles) and man hours to horse with that sort of thing, the average american with a dremel doesn't. I personally know a guy with a Bridgeport mill and he is a master machinist, but I am not going to ask him to do something crazy... :D

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    If I could get a M60 barrel or a M240 Barrel and remove pinned the gas block and front sight post ect. Could I have it re-threaded and chambered in 7.62x54R to fit a Mosin Nagant?

To my recollection, those are chrome/stellite lined barrels.

There are 1919 barrels out there that aren't chrome lined at decent prices if you want a .308 groove diameter.

The problems I see right off are that the 7.62x51 is .308 and the 7.62x54R is 311. Could this be over come by handloads or could you fire safely the larger round.

Why not save yourself the hassle of recontouring a military barrel and get a proper .310" groove to start with?

Green Mountain and McGowen come immediately to mind.

Top Bottom