• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Here is a quick review of the Mosin. Inexpensive, reliable, accurate, and fun are some terms that can be used to describe the Mosin Nagant 91/30. It is currently the last great deal in military surplus firearms, but buying a rifle with a 125 year old design is not without it's drawbacks. This video explains what makes it fun, what it doesn't do well, what to expect and where to buy it.

(Back by popular demand, more "Bunker Cam")
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrKAHkBXs_k

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Great video!
    Question about the magazine.
    Does your magazine not work properly? Mine has a simple ingenious method of holding the top round in the mag higher than the rest preventing the issue of rims interfering with each other.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Great video!
    Question about the magazine.
    Does your magazine not work properly? Mine has a simple ingenious method of holding the top round in the mag higher than the rest preventing the issue of rims interfering with each other.

That is a good question. I have two and have fired a third, they've all done it.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I had been wanting one for a while now, so I picked up my first one at the 1500 this weekend. I'm going out to shoot it later today! I didn't get the same deals that I had seen earlier last year, but I just couldn't wait any longer.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I had been wanting one for a while now, so I picked up my first one at the 1500 this weekend. I'm going out to shoot it later today! I didn't get the same deals that I had seen earlier last year, but I just couldn't wait any longer.

Let us know how it worked out.

SmithGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I had one of the shorter carbines and I bought it from a friend for just $75. I loved the power of the 7.62X54 round, and the gun kicked like a mule. I accidentally shouldered it up to my collarbone once and I paid the price...

Mine had serial numbers that did not match and the bolt always had a problem sticking a little no matter how much grease I put on it. I eventually sold it, but if I bought another one I would make sure to get one with matching serial numbers.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Let us know how it worked out.

It went great! I put 40 rounds through it and my aim got progressively better as I shot it. I went to Wilber Wright range and the guy in the stall before me had a nice Mosin (an M39 I believe is what he said). He was a collector and was very knowledgable. I meant to ask him if he was a member here, but he left before I got the chance.

W

Wabatuckian

Drop in a Finnish trigger and a scout mount from Brass Stacker (lets you still use the iron sights) Much better accuracy all around. Pressure pad made from cork under the barrel at the nosecap improves things further.

Rexmage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    Marshall Co
    If you've got the cash laying around and want a 150 dollar rifle that's comparable to the 30-06 by all means buy a Nagant. Check the bore first, check the bolt too. And then get ready for cosmoline heaven. But I'll tell ya what, for the price you pay and the availability and ease of ammo, you won't find better.

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    I've been tempted by a few Chinese M53s. Cheaper than the Mosin, same round and a little shorter. Essentially a Mosin M44 carbine. The problem I have found with them is the beyond horrible stock conditions.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I had one of the shorter carbines and I bought it from a friend for just $75. I loved the power of the 7.62X54 round, and the gun kicked like a mule. I accidentally shouldered it up to my collarbone once and I paid the price...

Mine had serial numbers that did not match and the bolt always had a problem sticking a little no matter how much grease I put on it. I eventually sold it, but if I bought another one I would make sure to get one with matching serial numbers.
    A lot of them require a polishing of the chamber to stop the sticky bolt syndrome. There are several good videos on youtube explaining the process.:yesway:

Top Bottom