• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I am actively looking to pick up a M N 91/30. I have been reading up on them a bit but I am curious what tips you all may have. What should I be looking for and concerned about when looking at them?

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    Bore condition. Look for one with little wear, the muzzle should look a little squarish if looking down the bore. Also pull the bolt and look for pitting etc

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    If you're only planning on buying one, wait for a good one - mirror bores are out there, but are uncommon. Avoid trying to pick the best out of a few and taking it home immediately. When you find a good one, treat it right and take good care of it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Unless you are a collector there are 3 things you need to look for

Bore condition, Bore condition, Bore condition............................

I think that pretty much sums it up

Cosmoline.....You must look for cosmoline. Millertyme wears it as aftershave and he managed to get a cool boat (ship?) and a pretty cool wife...
    Millertyme is the only person I know that actually smells like another country. Trust him on all things commie.....

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The only other thing you might look for if you are interested in collecting them is finding one with the hex receiver. They are a little more collectable and getting harder to find. I bought my hex about 3 years ago and have not seen a lot if hex's since. Those were not made during wartime and have a better finish to them. But if you are just looking for a shooter find one with a good bore and not all beat up and get ammo and enjoy!

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Cosmoline.....You must look for cosmoline. Millertyme wears it as aftershave and he managed to get a cool boat (ship?) and a pretty cool wife...
    Millertyme is the only person I know that actually smells like another country. Trust him on all things commie.....

Thanks Rick, by the way when are we having another meet and greet, I got a cool 36 Tula Siminov trials rifle to show you and this little gem I got coming my way.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Look at the bore and if it's larger diameter it's been counterbored. Not always a bad thing i have one and it shoots great. If it's a russian made then Tula is generally the better quality. Hard ones to find are Finnish ones. They are made mainly out of mismatched parts but you can find them with a hex receiver. But if you want a rare one look for a early year hex receiver with a low wall and good bore condition. That'd be a nice find. Or maybe even a dragoon or ex-dragoon. Or a cossack..Don't remember the rule on posting websites but here. 7.62x54r.net and read read read. EVERYTHING you need to know is there. And pages upon pages dedicated to just that rifle. Nifty little site and has everything you need to read up on those rifles. Even some general guidelines on collecting and what to look for in a rifle etc..

If that was against the rules please slap me around some and i apologize.

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    Mosins in retail stores are usually covered in cosmoline. When I purchased mine bore was packed with cosmo hard to inspect but I looked at overall condition all numbers matching(magazine floorplate, bolt, receiver, butt plate). I took a chance and bought one and after extensive cleaning shoots good and bore was good.

Top Bottom