• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ambushunter

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Northern IN
    I have not seen the popularity of this rifle like on this forum? What makes this rifle "so popular" To me its ugly as can be. Is it because its cheap, and ammo is cheap? I can think of diffrent rifles that would be cheap to shoot with lots less recoil and more parts available.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    Because for under $200 you can have a very reliable gun and 440 rounds of ammo with more power than a 7.62 NATO. Also, you will never need spare parts for a mosin because they don't break. Mosin's are a thing of beauty and until you own one you will not understand why they are so popular.

Last edited:

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    For me... it's because it's built like a tank! Inexpensive, and makes tremendous noise! So... it just makes it kind of fun and different.

ambushunter

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Northern IN
    I have no idea on reliability, and am not in any way challenging what others think about them. Its there OP. I have held several and just can't seem to want to buy one. Maybe its because I have too many :ar15:as it is if there is such a thing. I do have a couple 30-06 enfields though. They look ugly too:twocents:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    The history, for one thing. I can't think of any other rifle that has been through as many wars. WWI, Russian Civil War, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, CCCP-Afghanistan, US-Afghanistan.

I recognize that excesssive flash, noise, smoke, and kick are potentially detrimental to serious precision or combat shooting, but there is something to be said for the visceral sensations of shooting. Mosins deliver this in abundance.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Don't let these Bozos fool you it is the fireball!! Look at how many threads and videos revolve around the Mosin and it's fireball.

I have 2 one a sporterized 91/30 the other a stock 91/30 I want a 44 sooooooo BAD!!

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Well I had one that had some character marks that the previous owner claimed were from the Battle of Stalingrad. The serial number and armory stamp supported the claim. Not to mention I paid $60 for the gun and it was very accurate at 100yds. I could shoot at the range all day without breaking the bank, which is hard to do with most high powered rifles. It was a very cool gun but it was not a thing of beauty. All my friends thought the bayonetta was really sweet but I would have taken it off if it was removable. It never broke on me or malfunctioned even with cheap ammunition. Recoil isn't terrible and I even had an M44 one time that wasn't too bad.

All in all a cheap weapon that shoots cheap ammunition with good accuracy and great reliability. It's not a Remington 700, or any other modern bolt action rifle for that matter, but it does serve its purpose.

Agan_08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Salem/Muncie
    Because for under $200 you can have a very reliable gun and 440 rounds of ammo with more power than a 7.62 NATO. Also, you will never need spare parts for a mosin because they don't break. Mosin's are a thing of beauty and until you own one you will not understand why they are so popular.

Very well said. It's hard to find that combination of reliability, power, and pure fun for under $200. I just picked up my first a few weeks ago and I'm certain it won't be my last.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Its cheap, ammo is cheap, It goes boom and some of them can shank people up close! :D They can also be accurate at a few hundred yards if you equip them with a scope. That answer your question? I don't have one but I will if not to shoot at least for a conversation piece!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Its the fireball........ how many other rifles can you name that can burn the grass 5 feet in front of the muzzle, and have a visible fireball in the DAY LIGHT!!!!! :)

Snowden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    For me, it's the history. The Mosin Nagant was the AK-47 before the AK-47. If there was a civil war in the first half of the 20th century, the Mosin was there- often on both sides. They were manufactured by Russia, Finland, France, the US, China, and the entire Eastern Bloc. After WWII, the USSR handed them out like candy to upstart communist nations and even now they still show up occasionally in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have not seen the popularity of this rifle like on this forum? What makes this rifle "so popular" To me its ugly as can be. Is it because its cheap, and ammo is cheap? I can think of diffrent rifles that would be cheap to shoot with lots less recoil and more parts available.

I was a lot like you in the respect that I knew NOTHING about Mosin's until recently.

Last year I was presented a Mosin 91/30 w/sticker, oil bottle, mag pouch, cleaning kit, and a 440 round spam can of 7.62x54R as a gift.:rockwoot: All matching serial numbers, and in great shape. I don't own any "safe queens", so I took it out the same day I received it.

I was told when I received mine that the best thing about a 91/30 is, you can hit the broad side of a barn,

two counties away! :D

If you want the "flame thrower", get a 44. Either way, if you don't like a kick, DON'T BUY ONE! :twocents:

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    7.62X54R cartridge is versatile to reload, if you get some brass boxer primed cases of course. Winchester's .310 123 gr. spitzer with a lower dose of 4064 is pleasant and accurate.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    You have likely already come across this but it is worth mentioning again.
    Humorous Comparison of an AK47, an AR15 and a Mosin

A story to make a point. I'm largely a WW2 gun collector, my friend is a traditional gun guy. I get the pleasure of going with him to the range on one of the first times he brought his sons. On the way there all they could talk about was being able to shoot his AR 15 since it is cool and mine looks like something that was taken off the wall of a Cracker Barrel restaurant. It took about 4 shots from each and they could not get enough of the 91/30, M38, or m44 I brought. The M44 was cool because you feel justified in extending the bayonet, after all we all KNOW that it was designed to be shot that way so you would be silly not to. The 91/30 with the bayonet in place darn near puts the enemy out of pistol range, which is not something you get to experience with a modern rifle. They loved being able to man handle the action, and get a sense of unleashing a little shock and awe.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have been trying to convince myself to drink the Mosin kool-aid...just haven't gotten that first sip down. I mean if I want a fireball I'll shoot my CZ 52, if I want to run other people off the bench I can shoot my Hakim, if I want to shoot a rifle all day long cheap I'll shoot my Papashaw...

But still...the Mosin 38 or 44 does hold a strange attraction. I really don't see the 91 in my future, if i want to shoot something that long I do have the Hakim. But a powerful carbine...that I could mod a bit...maybe...

Top Bottom