• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    I picked up this mosin about a year ago at bradis and ive only had it out to shoot about 3 times. i also bought 100 rounds of surplus there too. I have a question, two of the 3 times ive been out to shoot ive shot paper targets. i noticed that some of the shots have "keyholed" in the paper. is this a gun problem or ammo? i dont know if it matters but it is a chinese t53.
    i was shooting maybe 15 to 20 yards if that at an indoor range.
    picture.php

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    More than likely its a gun problem. Most likely the crown is way bigger than it should be so when the bullet leaves the barrel the expanding gases cause it to tip a bit then the bullet starts to tumble during flight. You can check it by sticking the bullet of an unfired round into the muzzle. If the mouth of the case is closer than about 1/8th to 3/16" from the muzzle, its worn.

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    thats what i was thinking but i wasnt sure. it hasnt been counterbored. do you know anyone around indy that will do it. im willing to drive a little

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    More than likely its a gun problem. Most likely the crown is way bigger than it should be so when the bullet leaves the barrel the expanding gases cause it to tip a bit then the bullet starts to tumble during flight. You can check it by sticking the bullet of an unfired round into the muzzle. If the mouth of the case is closer than about 1/8th to 3/16" from the muzzle, its worn.

I just checked my 91-30 and I've got almost 1/4". Is good, da? :shady:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    WOW, shooting a Mosin in an indoor range, can you hear me now? I think we'll figure out which one you were at when we see the news reporting the doors being blown off of a gun range by "some sort of percussion mortar round that must have been set off from within the store."

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Thats t53? Wow those are worth a bit on a scale of 1 to 10. 10 being the rarest its a 9 on the scale

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    WOW, shooting a Mosin in an indoor range, can you hear me now? I think we'll figure out which one you were at when we see the news reporting the doors being blown off of a gun range by "some sort of percussion mortar round that must have been set off from within the store."

yeah it was at dons guns lol. the flash was quite bright in there too.

Some are 7 out of 10. i think thats what mine is judging from the markings on it. its the same as the m44. i was shopping for a 91/30 and saw this and couldnt pass it up. it had a BAD stock refinish job on it so i redone that and i think the bluing is about 80/90%

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    i just checked mine and its exactly 1/8th in from the case. but i notice it looks like someone tried an at home recrown job. that may be the problem

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Any competent gunsmith can recrown it. Its a simple procedure, and relatively inexpensive. If you want to give it a shot, you could even do it yourself if you have access to a few common tools. Don't have a link, but a Google search should turn up instructions.

Top Bottom